Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Sep 16, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #901 of 4,795
do those open back leaking sound?
The LCD-i4 leaks a little bit of sound out (but at normal listening levels someone has to stand very close to you to hear it..).
But they let all the sound around you in, I mean ALL! :)

Sep 16, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #902 of 4,795
Hi I recently got hooked on the planar magnetic headphones - firstly with the iSine, then the Hifiman Edition X v2 (amazing headphone). Wanted to have something more portable and I stumbled upon the LCD i4. Tried very hard to like the 10 and 20 instead but just couldn't put i4 down. I was testin largely using Hugo and Mojo.

However for my HIfiman Edition X, I actually preferred listening via my ALO CDM (tubed). Has anyone used ALO CDM extensively with i4 or the Woo WA8? Appreciate the Hugo 2 is more transportable than the WA8. Keen to hear some thoughts on the tube DAC/Amps.

Sep 17, 2017 at 5:07 AM Post #904 of 4,795
Might anyone know if the ALO Ref 8 cable 2 pin will work with the i4?

Thanks.

Based on the pictures in their website. The Ref 8 has right angle 2 pin connectors, I don’t think it will work with the i4.
Why don’t you send them an email? I’m sure they can terminate the cable with the regular 2 pin connectors that will fit the i4 perfectly.

Sep 17, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #905 of 4,795
Thanks for your insights, greatly appreciated!

I am starting to like these a bit more, probably from a combination of little burn in and my brain adapting.
I do appreciate these more in a quiet environment. Hearing everything with these on has pluses and minuses. I was hoping these would deliver in semi-noisy environment like when I am commuting, but just not a happenin'! The fact that I can only enjoy these fully in a quiet place when/where bigger cans that can do better and cheaper is something to consider. Just like computers and laptops, their premium price does reflect portability. Another thing to consider... these are not exactly inconspicuous either when you have them on. They don't mess up your hair, lol, that's about it. I think I would feel a little ridiculous wearing them in public, but some may not.

Hi I recently got hooked on the planar magnetic headphones - firstly with the iSine, then the Hifiman Edition X v2 (amazing headphone). Wanted to have something more portable and I stumbled upon the LCD i4. Tried very hard to like the 10 and 20 instead but just couldn't put i4 down. I was testin largely using Hugo and Mojo.

However for my HIfiman Edition X, I actually preferred listening via my ALO CDM (tubed). Has anyone used ALO CDM extensively with i4 or the Woo WA8? Appreciate the Hugo 2 is more transportable than the WA8. Keen to hear some thoughts on the tube DAC/Amps.

WA8 seems to drive these well. To my ears, Hugo 2 definitely has an edge on technicalities, but WA8 adds its own tube-like depth and richness to the sound, and certainly delivers something I like to keep in my repertoire. I have not tried but AK380 or H2 line out to WA8 would be an interesting combo as well.

Sep 17, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #906 of 4,795
The LCD-i4 leaks a little bit of sound out (but at normal listening levels someone has to stand very close to you to hear it..).
But they let all the sound around you in, I mean ALL! :)

That is kinda good if listening to them while walking the dog and you need to listen for cars (areas without sidewalks) ... or if you're in bear country. :p

Sep 18, 2017 at 2:31 AM Post #907 of 4,795
Is it just me as I'm starting to notice more people wearing iSine on the street? Haha.

By the way, I just realised that the original leather case does not allow the LCDi4 earphones to fit together with the ear hooks. It's a pain to remove and install the ear hooks every time - am sure the hooks will likely drop out of the case. So I think a Pelican can may be essential to transport them.

Has anyone bought a pelican 1010 or 1020 with the foam? Am keen to see some pics for inspiration. Thanks

Sep 18, 2017 at 2:44 AM Post #908 of 4,795
Is it just me as I'm starting to notice more people wearing iSine on the street? Haha.

By the way, I just realised that the original leather case does not allow the LCDi4 earphones to fit together with the ear hooks. It's a pain to remove and install the ear hooks every time - am sure the hooks will likely drop out of the case. So I think a Pelican can may be essential to transport them.

Has anyone bought a pelican 1010 or 1020 with the foam? Am keen to see some pics for inspiration. Thanks

I can still actually fit them in the leather case, although it takes a bit of effort and need to be careful not to damage the hooks. Mind you, there's still a risk that the hook might be broken if it's forced too much into the case.

Sep 18, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #909 of 4,795
20170918_160354.jpg

My i4 with Comp4 They look so good together

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #912 of 4,795
Sep 18, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #913 of 4,795
Keen to try the Lavricables Reference series cable upgrade for the i4. Its looks good with the pure silver cables. I find the original cable slightly short esp if I intend to use with the WA8. Nor sure if it's a sound upgrade though.

Any current users of such cables?

Sep 18, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #914 of 4,795
I was also considering the Lavricables option. I would love to hear impressions of it or any comparable cable. Not to be a downer, but I think that Comp4 might be a little heavy for me.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #915 of 4,795
that cable defeats the purpose of the i4 as a portable option....IMHO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back