Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Sep 12, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #871 of 4,791
Thank you for sharing your experience!
I was skeptical about their portability, because if I cannot listen to them when/where I cannot listen to full size cans, what would be the point?? But sounds like they are more versatile in that you can listen to them where there is lower ambient noise. That was very helpful, thanks.

Sep 12, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #872 of 4,791
I felt this a few times and also with Mojo/MBA.

I suggest you try to play a bit around with them, to me the comfort is really good.. it is just that if I move a bit around they might (not every time) get a bit out of place.
But the convenience of just being able to insert the i4 in the case without having to remove he hooks is great!

Yes,
I'll try them again in teh next days, I use a Pelican 1010 case without foam therefore I don't need to remove the hooks every time. my aim is to find a more comfortable solution.

Sep 12, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #873 of 4,791
Thank you for sharing your experience!
I was skeptical about their portability, because if I cannot listen to them when/where I cannot listen to full size cans, what would be the point?? But sounds like they are more versatile in that you can listen to them where there is lower ambient noise. That was very helpful, thanks.

I personally use them everyday in the subway and in the street and find them perfect! They isolate surely less the my AK T8ie II but in the end it doesn't really bother much, since when it's getting really loud in the subway, the traditional iems aren't enough to cover the sound either. In any case you won't be doing critical listening in the subway I believe. Maybe a custom iem would be better for that purpose, but in the end, nothing beats noise canceling HP for plane and subway use.

Concerning the buzzing sound while touching the magnesium housing, I already reported that little quirk several pages ago. For me it happens with my iBasso DX 200, but only when charging the device. And it doesn't seem to happen while every plugs.

Sep 12, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #874 of 4,791
I'm creating a second post to share some quick feelings about my latest purchases to pair with the i4.

It's been about a little week since I received the AMP3 card module for the iBasso DX 200 as well as a Billow 4 braids 2.5mm TRRS Beat Audio cable. Yes... I know... I was kinda complaining a while ago about the i4 not having a balanced cable and not wanting to spend $500 more for a cable... Well, you know what happened next,right?! I spent almost $2000 for cable, and the 8 braids version was even more expensive than the i4...:deadhorse:
I know that's close to insanity level, but oh boy!! I don't regret a second my purchase! I remember saying here that the i4 sounded already great from my iPhone SE and not hearing a huge difference while jumping to the DX200 in single ended with AMP1, and it's true! They're already absolutely stunning!
But now jumping to AMP3 balanced with Billow cable that's another story, trust me! I can't believe the i4 could improve that much further. The detail retrieval, staging, separation and precision tremendously improved. In one word, astounding! I now understand the comments from people stating the i4 seriously scaling with good amplification!
I did a quick test comparing the i4 on the DX200 AMP3 + Billow against the iSine 20 with cipher on my iPhone. While listening to the track Tight Trite Night from Andy McKee with Don Ross, this was a really day and night difference! On the iSine 20 the two guitares felt little mushy in comparison. They kind of merged together, while with the i4 setup everything was crystal clear transparent with absurd staging, precision and separation. A whole new level in my opinion! And the iSine 20 are no slouch to say the least.

I still need more time to tinker with my new setup, because I believe the burn in isn't over yet and the sound might still evolve, and I'm still waiting for my 2.5 TRRS to 3.5 TRS adapter to try figuring out in which proportion the Amp and the cable improve the sound. I don't have other balanced cables that fit the i4.
I remember trying in a shop a $200 balanced cable with my AMP1 and didn't find much difference with the stock cable in SE. Here when I listened through AMP 1 with Billow the difference was clearly obvious. And now through AMP3 that's end game level to me.
Many folks around here seem to be thrilled with the Hugo 2 pairing. I didn't have the opportunity to try it out yet but I'd really be interested to see the difference! I'm not interested in buying a H2 because I don't want to bother stacking devices, but out of curiosity that would be a nice experience indeed.

Also, I had the opportunity to try very briefly the Tsar and Fourte for about 10min each, and while both absolutely great iems, i just find that I'm preferring the i4 by quite a margin. Let's say that both 64Audios don't bring much more to TOTL iems. Don't get me wrong! They are fantastic! But they are just iems... i4 aren't in iem's playground i feel.

I'll try to post some pictures and further thoughts after full burn-in.

Hope this can be helpful to some of you! :)

Cheers

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #875 of 4,791
Anybody get a buzzing noise when you touch the outside of your LCD-I4 with your fingers for adjustment. Sometimes when I go to reposition them on my ears I hear a buzzing noise but only when my fingers are in contact with the outside. Happens with my Mojo and/or Macbook Air. Just curious.

Thanks!

I also get the "buzzing" sound when touching the outer shell using my Hugo. If I touch the Hugo at the same time the buzzing stops. I also believe it´s some kind of current that is not grounded properly. The buzzing is loudest the first minute of plugging in the i4. It almost disappears after a few minutes. Maybe it discharges? I was a bit surprised when I first noticed this behaviour, but I learned to live with it. And it doesn't´t ruin my music experience.

I personally use them everyday in the subway and in the street and find them perfect! They isolate surely less the my AK T8ie II but in the end it doesn't really bother much, since when it's getting really loud in the subway, the traditional iems aren't enough to cover the sound either. In any case you won't be doing critical listening in the subway I believe. Maybe a custom iem would be better for that purpose, but in the end, nothing beats noise canceling HP for plane and subway use.

I had this issue as well, and found out later as normie610 stated earlier, is due to improper grounding from one of the sources from the audio chain. I've been told this is because of the heightened sensitivity level of the diaphragm in order to be as transparent as possible. I found my ultrawide monitor to be the actually only grounding source in my playback chain... take it out and I get the buzzing even w the Hugo 2 and ISO Regen/LPS-1 combo.

I assume you mean the subway and streets of Paris? If so, you must be pretty brave to wear the i4s in the Parisian metros. I wouldnt dream of wearing my i4s in any metro stop in Paris, nor in the streets of my somewhat diplomat segregated neighborhood. Add a sexy silver braided cable, and I'd get even less confident in my chances.

I'm cool w carrying the i4s w me almost anywhere in Asia though... in fact, I might even get chased down frantically and tapped on the shoulder if I accidentally dropped my i4s in Tokyo.

Sep 12, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #876 of 4,791
I had this issue as well, and found out later as normie610 stated earlier, is due to improper grounding from one of the sources from the audio chain. I've been told this is because of the heightened sensitivity level of the diaphragm in order to be as transparent as possible. I found my ultrawide monitor to be the actually only grounding source in my playback chain... take it out and I get the buzzing even w the Hugo 2 and ISO Regen/LPS-1 combo.

I assume you mean the subway and streets of Paris? If so, you must be pretty brave to wear the i4s in the Parisian metros. I wouldnt dream of wearing my i4s in any metro stop in Paris, nor in the streets of my somewhat diplomat segregated neighborhood. Add a sexy silver braided cable, and I'd get even less confident in my chances.

I'm cool w carrying the i4s w me almost anywhere in Asia though... in fact, I might even get chased down frantically and tapped on the shoulder if I accidentally dropped my i4s in Tokyo.

Oh no! Not in Paris! I know I can be crazy, but I didn't reach the point of no return just yet! :D
I'm living in Beijing currently, so that's pretty safe for that matter!
But I'll never dare do that in Paris or any major cities in western countries unfortunately... Especially now with the gold plated Billow cable! I could get rapped for that! Haha!

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #877 of 4,791
Anybody get a buzzing noise when you touch the outside of your LCD-I4 with your fingers for adjustment. Sometimes when I go to reposition them on my ears I hear a buzzing noise but only when my fingers are in contact with the outside. Happens with my Mojo and/or Macbook Air. Just curious.

Thanks!
I have noticed the same thing as well when connected to iMac---mojo.

Sep 12, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #878 of 4,791
Did it happen while Hugo 2 was being charged? If yes then you're correct, the powerpoint that the charging cable is connected to does not have proper grounding. It happens to me when the DAP is being charged. It also happens to my other electronic stuff, I can actually feel very subtle vibrations and they disappear when I touch them.
The buzzing sound happens regardless if the Hugo is charging or not. The buzzing effect is sometimes pretty strong and sometimes almost absent. I have only noticed this when using Hugo, not my Onkyo DP-X1 dap. It doesn´t seem harmful for the i4s though...

Sep 13, 2017 at 6:38 AM Post #879 of 4,791
Ok blown away here. For fun I just connected these directly to my MacBook Air and downloaded the new Boom3D. I have NEVER heard bass like this from these things. Frankly I did not think they were capable. Nothing I have heard through Mojo and Tidal has presented bass like this. These put my Fostex TH900 MK2 to shame! I set the EQ to dubstep and 3D setting to center. If you are a basshead like me this is CRAZY! What a fun time :) Would be curious to see what others think. This is now my favorite head/ear phones.

Sep 14, 2017 at 4:20 AM Post #881 of 4,791
What @pinciukas said. Effect Audio is very fast compared to other companies I have seen, my Ares II took something like 2 weeks, including shipping from Singapore to the UK. However, their 'Heritage' cables are made of very scarce materials and that might change their regular turn-around times. Eric from Effect Audio is a member here and a great guy to talk to if you want to know more, you can send him a PM, @EffectAudio, for a quick response.

Just as an extra bit of information, Effect Audio is about to release their new flagship 'Horus'. Very expensive, but from what I have heard also very special. (I freely admit to have become slightly hooked on cables. :D )
Thank you once again @pinciukas & @Wyville !

I had a few PM's with Eric from @EffectAudio and just ordered the Lionheart with 2.5mm balanced termination
+ 1 Ultrashort Right Angled Adaptor (2.5mm) - [3.5mm] (Hugo 2 on the way..)
https://www.effectaudio.com/others/accessories/ultrashort-right-angled-adaptor-2-5mm-3-5mm.html
Very nice experience so far, Eric replied promptly to all of my questions and won me over.
Can't wait for the cable to arrive..

Sep 14, 2017 at 6:14 AM Post #882 of 4,791
Thank you once again @pinciukas & @Wyville !

I had a few PM's with Eric from @EffectAudio and just ordered the Lionheart with 2.5mm balanced termination
+ 1 Ultrashort Right Angled Adaptor (2.5mm) - [3.5mm] (Hugo 2 on the way..)
Very nice experience so far, Eric replied promptly to all of my questions and won me over.
Can't wait for the cable to arrive..
That's great! Yes, Eric is a great guy and I always enjoy talking to him. I hope you will receive your Lionheart soon!

Sep 14, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #883 of 4,791
Ok so I am having issues EQing these with anything other than Boom3D directly from my Macbook Air. When I use Boom3D with LCD-I4 plugged directly into Macbook Air anything I do to the EQ it takes like a champ with no distortion. The minute I plug in my Chord Mojo and use something like Amarra Luxe I get distortion with just the littlest change in bass and I can never match the bass I get from Boom3D directly out of Macbook. Am I missing something here? Is this something to do with the Mojo? I tried Boom3D with Mojo but it does not work well with USB audio. It is simply a fun tool for fun listening. However, I do like the ability to get WAY more bass from it versus the Mojo.

Sep 14, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #884 of 4,791
Ok so I am having issues EQing these with anything other than Boom3D directly from my Macbook Air. When I use Boom3D with LCD-I4 plugged directly into Macbook Air anything I do to the EQ it takes like a champ with no distortion. The minute I plug in my Chord Mojo and use something like Amarra Luxe I get distortion with just the littlest change in bass and I can never match the bass I get from Boom3D directly out of Macbook. Am I missing something here? Is this something to do with the Mojo? I tried Boom3D with Mojo but it does not work well with USB audio. It is simply a fun tool for fun listening. However, I do like the ability to get WAY more bass from it versus the Mojo.

Are you using the Mojo's 3Vrms line level volume? If so you might want to lower it by 4 clicks to output a more common 1.9Vrms (you won't lose SQ) to ensure you aren't clipping the input of the amp.

Also, you might want to cut (lower) the other frequencies and leave the bass at 0dB to avoid digital clipping if you don't have a digital pre-amp setting for the EQ.

Sep 14, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #885 of 4,791
Are you using the Mojo's 3Vrms line level volume? If so you might want to lower it by 4 clicks to output a more common 1.9Vrms (you won't lose SQ) to ensure you aren't clipping the input of the amp.

Also, you might want to cut (lower) the other frequencies and leave the bass at 0dB to avoid digital clipping if you don't have a digital pre-amp setting for the EQ.

Don’t think I am but will check this tomorrow. Thanks for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back