Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Jul 5, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #391 of 4,795
And now the big question: how does this one compare with Hifiman's newest offering (RE2000)? Of course, 2 totally different concepts, but still, which one is better?

very good question ! I guess we will have answers at CanJam LONDON next week...

Jul 5, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #394 of 4,795
The iSeries are not traditional IEMs. In fact, I would rather classify them as mini-headphones more so than true IEMs. Caveat emptor.
Agreed. It's tough to directly compare the LCD-i4 to my favorite "conventional" in-ears because it's so different. It's in a completely different category. There are times when I'll reach for an IEM like the JH13v2 or Zeus XR and times when I'll reach for the LCD-i4. I wouldn't use an LCD-i4 while traveling, but I absolutely would once I've reached my destination. The LCD-i4 hasn't left my side and I use it the same way I would an open-back full-size headphone. The fact that it fits easily in my pocket or backpack is an added bonus.

Jul 5, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #395 of 4,795
A even bigger question: RE2000/KSE/Fourte vs i4. Who'll win? And by what margins.

Add the U18, and I am your man :wink:

For me, I liked so much the KSE1500 that if one the other mentioned IEMs do not clearly stand out from the crowd I will again buy a KSE1500 (but...I hope that I can "avoid" adding the 2nd brick with the KSE1500 which needs his amp).

Jul 5, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #396 of 4,795
Agreed. It's tough to directly compare the LCD-i4 to my favorite "conventional" in-ears because it's so different. It's in a completely different category. There are times when I'll reach for an IEM like the JH13v2 or Zeus XR and times when I'll reach for the LCD-i4. I wouldn't use an LCD-i4 while traveling, but I absolutely would once I've reached my destination. The LCD-i4 hasn't left my side and I use it the same way I would an open-back full-size headphone. The fact that it fits easily in my pocket or backpack is an added bonus.

I was thinking the same thing - now there's more than just innies and outies : maybe we'll call them inner-over the ear monitor: IOM.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #397 of 4,795
The good news is that I received my replacement LCD-i4 today after the first pair didn't work on the left side.

The bad news is that once again the left side is DOA. On top of that the cable supplied is also broken. It appears to be a fault at the split, as wiggling it makes a few disjointed sounds come out of the right side.

Once again I've tested with different cables and sources. I've also checked that it's not the same pair, but it's a different serial number.

Deflated is the word...

Jul 6, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #398 of 4,795
Damn, sorry to hear.
I'm not going to purchase until they fix their qc.
DOA units are always a pain to deal with.

Jul 6, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #399 of 4,795
Two people from Audeze have been in contact already and are sending me a replacement pair direct.

They now understand the issue and its not a QC issue with the i4s. Any that are purchased new now should be fine.

I'll leave it to Audeze to communicate on what the issue was if they wish. Now I understand it I have no hesitation with going ahead with getting another pair.

Jul 6, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #400 of 4,795
I am using these forums to help guide some purchases. I've been watching this thread, assessing the LCD-i4, and trying to figure out how to use the information here.
The way I look at it, if I could get everything I wanted out of a good fitting closed IEM, that would be the panacea in terms of versatility. On the opposite end of the spectrum would be something like a Stax or Audeze open headphone, the latter being able to offer a bigger scale, but at the expense of sound leakage, comfort, and convenience. A local high end audio dealer, who does carry Audeze, told me that the "i4's are amazing, but you'll never get as good of performance with any iem as you would a headphone."
At $2500, if the i4 is competing with headphones, it has quite a bit of competition. In the end, is it a narrow niche product that it is more portable than a headphone, but less versatile than a closed iem? And is it better sounding, or easier to drive, than say an Audeze LCDX?

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #402 of 4,795
I am using these forums to help guide some purchases. I've been watching this thread, assessing the LCD-i4, and trying to figure out how to use the information here.
The way I look at it, if I could get everything I wanted out of a good fitting closed IEM, that would be the panacea in terms of versatility. On the opposite end of the spectrum would be something like a Stax or Audeze open headphone, the latter being able to offer a bigger scale, but at the expense of sound leakage, comfort, and convenience. A local high end audio dealer, who does carry Audeze, told me that the "i4's are amazing, but you'll never get as good of performance with any iem as you would a headphone."
At $2500, if the i4 is competing with headphones, it has quite a bit of competition. In the end, is it a narrow niche product that it is more portable than a headphone, but less versatile than a closed iem? And is it better sounding, or easier to drive, than say an Audeze LCDX?

I have a pair of audeze lcd xc, but they are very heavy, and they become uncomfortable after some time.
While I can carry the i4 anywhere in by backpack and this is a major plus for me.
In term of easy to drive I would put them on the same lever, you can drive the i4 with a good DAP but I feel they will shine with a more powerful dac.

Jul 6, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #403 of 4,795
Two people from Audeze have been in contact already and are sending me a replacement pair direct.

They now understand the issue and its not a QC issue with the i4s. Any that are purchased new now should be fine.

I'll leave it to Audeze to communicate on what the issue was if they wish. Now I understand it I have no hesitation with going ahead with getting another pair.
Very sad to hear this my friend. Keep your head up and hopefully everything is sorted so nobody else gets a faulty pair. I like what I've read so far about the sound and i am curious how they sound out of the Tera Player next week at CanJam.

Jul 6, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #404 of 4,795
I think Ricky asked a really good question. I have an Isine20 and an LCD i4 coming in tomorrow, but I don't own any full size planar magnetics to compare it to. I'm sure as Kubig said that it is far more comfortable and portable but how does it compare in terms of sound quality. Is it really able to keep up in performance given the inherent limitations of the design? I don't see the comparative smaller size of the driver to be an issue since it is positioned closer into your ear. However, by that same dynamic won't it always lose out in terms of soundstage to the full size Audezes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back