Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Nov 9, 2017 at 4:05 AM Post #1,322 of 4,795
Nov 9, 2017 at 4:58 AM Post #1,323 of 4,795
THE BEST PART: The Cipher V2 Lightning cable for LCDi4 registered owners, who would like to use it with an iOS device, is FREE! This is our way of saying “Thank You” for being part of the Audeze family. If you already own an LCDi4 and use Apple devices, then just give us a call to get your Cipher V2 cable. This also applies to future purchasers.

Anyone else getting the runaround trying to get this internationally? I contacted Audeze who directed me back to the UK place I purchased it from, Scan, and they didn't have a clue. Audeze said if I had issues I could find the Cipher cable on their website and gave me a code to discount it, but I can't find the i4 version of it on the website. I am going to escalate it to a Scan manager (as they are also the UK distributor) but if not I am stuck.

Nov 9, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #1,324 of 4,795
Nov 9, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #1,325 of 4,795
None that I am aware of unless you use your PC

Given the worldwide market size for iOS and Android (phones & tablets) and that almost all audiophiles own a mobile device doesn’t that limitation to PCs sound like a business opportunity?
Anyone else getting the runaround trying to get this internationally? I contacted Audeze who directed me back to the UK place I purchased it from, Scan, and they didn't have a clue. Audeze said if I had issues I could find the Cipher cable on their website and gave me a code to discount it, but I can't find the i4 version of it on the website. I am going to escalate it to a Scan manager (as they are also the UK distributor) but if not I am stuck.

As I’m considering buying the LCDi4 I contacted Audeze and asked about how I might get the new cipher cable if I buy the LCDi4. I also live in the UK. They told me:

“If you purchase the i4s from one of our dealers in your area you can reach out to our distributor there for assistance with that. In the UK this will most likely be Exertis.“

I’m not sure why the slight equivocation with the “most likely be” but Exertis have been helpful in the past.

Nov 9, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #1,328 of 4,795
From everything I read in this thread is that the i4 requires a lot of power to make it sounds good. So can someone with the cipher v2 cable tells me how does it work with an iOS device especially with an iPhone how can an iPhone power the i4 sufficiently? I thought the cipher v2 is only a dsp filter, does it add power also?

Nov 9, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #1,329 of 4,795
From everything I read in this thread is that the i4 requires a lot of power to make it sounds good. So can someone with the cipher v2 cable tells me how does it work with an iOS device especially with an iPhone how can an iPhone power the i4 sufficiently? I thought the cipher v2 is only a dsp filter, does it add power also?

I honestly believe that a lot of it has nothing to do with the actual need for excessive power, but rather the need for quality implementation of the upstream gear given how revealing the i4 is. The specs say the i4 will run fine from most devices, and when listening at reasonable volume the i4 wouldn’t draw anywhere near the stated max power from ‘powerful’ devices anyway. DSP in the cypher cable can go a long way to altering the sound to create a pleasant listening experience and at the same time provide enough power to satisfy the volume requirements according to the specs. Don’t fall for the 1W of unused power is necessary marketing trap, because at normal listening levels you’d actually be using maybe 1/10th of that or less.

Nov 9, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #1,330 of 4,795
I honestly believe that a lot of it has nothing to do with the actual need for excessive power, but rather the need for quality implementation of the upstream gear given how revealing the i4 is. The specs say the i4 will run fine from most devices, and when listening at reasonable volume the i4 wouldn’t draw anywhere near the stated max power from ‘powerful’ devices anyway. DSP in the cypher cable can go a long way to altering the sound to create a pleasant listening experience and at the same time provide enough power to satisfy the volume requirements according to the specs. Don’t fall for the 1W of unused power is necessary marketing trap, because at normal listening levels you’d actually be using maybe 1/10th of that or less.
You have a good point about power and very true indeed. However I have to use 100/120 on my Wm1Z volume pot from the balance output (250 mv), just can't understand how can an iphone even drive it. They also say with plannar driver, it is voltage not wattage that is needed. Thanks anyway.

Nov 9, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #1,331 of 4,795
I'm also waiting for the LCD-i4 Cypher v2. The Benelux distributor Terrason hasn't replied to my email. So I contact the store from which I bought it and awaiting now for him to get confirmation from Audeze/distributor I guess.

Nov 9, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #1,332 of 4,795
You have a good point about power and very true indeed. However I have to use 100/120 on my Wm1Z volume pot from the balance output (250 mv), just can't understand how can an iphone even drive it. They also say with plannar driver, it is voltage not wattage that is needed. Thanks anyway.
Well to say that the i4 (planar magnetics) need the voltage implies they are really high impedance devices? I don't know about that but I do think that they will scale nicely with a good strong clean amp.
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1216/Wells_Audio_Milo_Headphone_Amplifier_Review.htm
Thinking pretty seriously about checking out one of these. With the Hugo2 as the dac. I suspect those i4 will sing hooked up to a Milo. Actually any headphone would be forced to wake up and show what they can do with a lineup like that.

Nov 9, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #1,333 of 4,795

Actually with planar drivers it’s Current that’s crucial. Wattage is both Current and Voltage multiplied together, but you’re correct, straight Wattage is a misleading spec and rather useless IMO without knowing the Current and Voltage. Either way, the i4 is very small compared to planar headphones and the driver excursion is also very small so the power requirements really aren’t that much, especially with a 105dB / 1mW sensitivity. I can’t comment on th Wm1Z as I haven’t heard it, but perhaps the class D amplification is at play with the Sony, or perhaps the Sony delivers very little Current.

Obviously Audeze feels the iPhone with the cypher cable is enough or they wouldn’t have gone down that road.

Nov 10, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #1,334 of 4,795
Actually with planar drivers it’s Current that’s crucial. Wattage is both Current and Voltage multiplied together, but you’re correct, straight Wattage is a misleading spec and rather useless IMO without knowing the Current and Voltage. Either way, the i4 is very small compared to planar headphones and the driver excursion is also very small so the power requirements really aren’t that much, especially with a 105dB / 1mW sensitivity. I can’t comment on th Wm1Z as I haven’t heard it, but perhaps the class D amplification is at play with the Sony, or perhaps the Sony delivers very little Current.

Obviously Audeze feels the iPhone with the cypher cable is enough or they wouldn’t have gone down that road.
Well you know the headphone's impedance. In case of LCDi4 it is purely resistive. You can still detemine the current and voltage needed given the power.

Nov 10, 2017 at 1:45 AM Post #1,335 of 4,795
Well you know the headphone's impedance. In case of LCDi4 it is purely resistive. You can still detemine the current and voltage needed given the power.

Yes, I should have said that in general, for most consumers who don’t know Ohms law, the watt spec can be a marketing trap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back