Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Sep 21, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #946 of 4,795
@Junmoe62 wowwww you"ve got the billow to pair with Lcdi4. That's must be so amazing. By the way I have the Dx200 too, my friend who has the i4 also has the Dx200. Nice to know you use the Dx200

Sep 22, 2017 at 1:23 AM Post #948 of 4,795
Be warned, it’ll haunt your mind afterwards and will only disappear once you have it in your possession :fingers_crossed:
I am a little afraid of that, but my wife is blocking my credit card on the day, so I should be safe (at least for that day). :D

Sep 22, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #949 of 4,795
At least the good thing about photography is that you can make money out of it by selling pics! Which is probably harder with audio gears!! :D
Concerning sensor size, surely the absolute quality is better with bigger sensors, but in the end I’m more into user experience, and with the fastest glasses, I already have enough control for my purpose. Once printed you’ll be hard pressed to find any significant differences, unless you print really big.
Anyway, here isn’t the right place to talk about that, but I’ll be glad to pursue this discussion with you by MP if you wish! :)

Edit : in the end I think an analogy could be made with audio! You are happy with your “small” iPod because it brings you satisfaction with the user experience and suits your needs, and you don’t feel like trading that for a little improvement in SQ. The law of equivalent exchange, here we go!! Haha! Those two hobbies are indeed very similar! :D

Nah Photography is nothing like audiophilia, People in Photography never argues about stuff imagined. Everything, no matter how small the difference can be measured. and everyone see the exact same thing about the same image at the same size.

Sep 22, 2017 at 2:45 AM Post #950 of 4,795
Yeah, I didn't know if I should post here and there, but it is related to both.. so I posted in the other thread and just posted a link here as I was sure some people interested in the LCD-i4 might me interested in the EA cable.

I have to find a proper wrapping technique. :)

The Pelican case is what's up!

Can you pls post a picture of the Lionheart w the i4? I went w the black 2-pin connector, I'm curious how the silver looking ones match up. Thanks :)

Sep 22, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #951 of 4,795
The Pelican case is what's up!

Can you pls post a picture of the Lionheart w the i4? I went w the black 2-pin connector, I'm curious how the silver looking ones match up. Thanks :)
I suppose the black connectors looks much better from the LCD-i4 side.. while the one I ordered looks better from the Lionheart side (as it pairs better with the Y splitter and PSquared termination), and the cable looks nicer as a whole.
I have this cable in mind for some other future purchases so I thought I'll go completely random color-wise. :ksc75smile:
But if you plan to use it only for the i4 I think you did well!

Here it is:

IMG_2229.jpg

Sep 22, 2017 at 3:21 AM Post #952 of 4,795
@junix Thanks! It looks great :) Tbh, my black 2-pin is really too much of a snug fit, but I'll only ever use it for the LCDi4 so I'm not too fussed about that.

@Audeze Would love to see an all black stealth i4 or whatever the next upgrade is. Black membrane, matte black logo etc...

Sep 22, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #953 of 4,795
Audiophile bloggers can make money by publishing fake bought reviews, and you don't even need talent :D

Haha yeah! Very true! :D
To some people, lying and fooling others is probably seen as a very valuable talent! :D In this optic, oh gosh this world is packed with incredible artistry! Haha.

Nah Photography is nothing like audiophilia, People in Photography never argues about stuff imagined. Everything, no matter how small the difference can be measured. and everyone see the exact same thing about the same image at the same size.

Fair enough! :)
You could still argue for example that even though you can measure things and colors, every people will percive the same color value/hue in a different way. This is something that perhaps can be applied to music? Who knows?! :)
I do totally agree with you that in some cases HiFi is hardly quantifiable/explainable...

@Junmoe62 wowwww you"ve got the billow to pair with Lcdi4. That's must be so amazing. By the way I have the Dx200 too, my friend who has the i4 also has the Dx200. Nice to know you use the Dx200

I’m very happy with this setup, the Billow pairs up very well with the i4 (sound and esthetic wise), and the DX200 + AMP3 are great! The AMP3 was probably the best upgrade price/performance wise for SQ improvement in my setup. I’m very happy with the Billow as well, even though the price isn’t in the same league. It’s very light and supple (more so than the stock one), it looks like jewel (gold chain like!! I feel like a hip-hop star with it! Haha :D) nearly perfect match with the golden color of the Audeze logo and grills. I’ll try to post pictures and maybe a more detailed comparison when I find the time, which is not a given lately unfortunately...

Which AMP do you use with your DX200?

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2017 at 7:34 AM Post #954 of 4,795
My apologies for asking a question that may be a not-brainer to everyone else, but are you actually meant to get a seal with the tips like you do with a normal iem? Or should they just sit at the entrance of the canal without a seal? I tried them today and could not get a seal with the large groovy tips (I always need large tips for iem's), so I thought oh well, these won't work for me. The guy in the store said you 'kinda' don't need a seal. So I tried them anyway and they did sound great, I was shocked. So, seal required, or not? Thanks

I have searched the thread but can't seem to find a clear answer.

Sep 22, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #955 of 4,795
My apologies for asking a question that may be a not-brainer to everyone else, but are you actually meant to get a seal with the tips like you do with a normal iem? Or should they just sit at the entrance of the canal without a seal? I tried them today and could not get a seal with the large groovy tips (I always need large tips for iem's), so I thought oh well, these won't work for me. The guy in the store said you 'kinda' don't need a seal. So I tried them anyway and they did sound great, I was shocked. So, seal required, or not? Thanks

I have searched the thread but can't seem to find a clear answer.

The tips just need to sit at the entrance of the canal. You can’t insert them in. It does require to have a sort of seal when they seat at the entrance, but it isn’t a seal comparable to traditional iems, given the fact that they are open (or semi open) back. You won’t feel pressure or air tight kind of thing. That one of the things I really do appreciate about these earphones. Traditional iems tend to hurt my ears with the pressure after a while.

I hope this answers your question.

Cheers

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #956 of 4,795

Well, to me, in photography some of the stuff are also "imagined" like when people say the "Leica color" or "Zeiss pop" or "medium format look" (still can't discern the difference after all these years in that hobby)

Sep 22, 2017 at 7:57 AM Post #957 of 4,795
The tips just need to sit at the entrance of the canal. You can’t insert them in. It does require to have a sort of seal when they seat at the entrance, but it isn’t a seal comparable to traditional iems, given the fact that they are open (or semi open) back. You won’t feel pressure or air tight kind of thing. That one of the things I really do appreciate about these earphones. Traditional iems tend to hurt my ears with the pressure after a while.

I hope this answers your question.

Cheers

Thanks, when I used them today I did not even achieve a seal (as in the silicon tip was not fully sealed to my ear), they were kind of just propped near the entrance but without full contact. But after I started playing music and they sounded very good I figured they were more like headphones were a seal does not seem necessary. A bit like the Lab II's that I recently owned, or the piano forte series.

Sep 22, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #958 of 4,795
Thanks, when I used them today I did not even achieve a seal (as in the silicon tip was not fully sealed to my ear), they were kind of just propped near the entrance but without full contact. But after I started playing music and they sounded very good I figured they were more like headphones were a seal does not seem necessary. A bit like the Lab II's that I recently owned, or the piano forte series.

Well, ultimately I guess that it would be more optimal if you have proper contact with the tip, but the seal doesn’t seem to be nearly as critical as with traditional iems.
For me it automatically makes good contact when I wear them so I can’t really assure you that you won’t loose any bit, so you should better wait for an answer from Audeze or someone else for confirmation. :)

Sep 22, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #960 of 4,795
"Real seal" is not needed for the i4 to sound great. I actually feel that if I get a really good seal (comply tips..) they become a little bit to dark, and the bass is not so well articulated an controlled. These are mini speakers, IMO they need air around them to work properly.

I know you tried them very briefly in store, but can you compare them with the Tia Fourte?
The Fourte is on my list for some time but I didn't have a chance to audition them as there are no distributors where I currently live.. ordering a 3,5k $ IEM without trying (and falling in love!!:ksc75smile:) is out of the question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back