Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Sep 19, 2019 at 3:22 AM Post #2,941 of 4,795
Received mine today, from Cypher they're great! Bit fiddly on fit, as the ear tips don't fit in very securely as they're so flimsy - but that can be remedied. Only issue, the nice 3.5mm cable that was included is clearly faulty, only get sound from left channel... Not off to a good start there. Fortunately it's not the i4's themselves, as like I said, they function great with included cypher cable.

Anyone else have problems with these? Will get in touch with Audeze tomorrow to get resolved, as I'd love to try them from my AMP/DAC and mess with Reveal plugin/EQ. They also sent ear hooks for the right ear only ha, no matching left side. This typical of Audeze? I also received the LCD-4z yesterday as well, hope these don't give up the ghost etc. I will say, this little i4 has deeper more impactful bass than the 4z, that wasn't expected - kind of disappointing to be honest - I actually find the Empyrean to have better low end.

Anyway, just wanted to get a feel from the fellow i4 owner on whether or not they've had any issues etc.

Not typical at all. Audeze customer service is top notch. Reach out and they will certainly remedy the issue

Definitely, Audeze is one of those companies I've grown to respect for their operation as well as their products. Reach out to their service dept. They are great to work with. You can tell they really care about standing behind their products and the satisfaction of their customers.

Sep 19, 2019 at 9:30 PM Post #2,942 of 4,795
Turns out it may be more than a cable issue - if I wiggle the Cypher cables plug on right ear piece, it’ll cut out - they had me gently spread the pins a bit to create a snugger fit - doesn’t make a difference. Left ear piece is solid and has zero play, and no issues with sound cutting out.

Hoping this is an issue they’ll resolve quickly, perhaps offer a replacement vs. sending in for a repair and being without for weeks on end. Shame this has to happen on flagship level IEM’s - even the fact one needs to “pry” the pins apart on the plug to make the plug more secure is questionable on $2000+ in ears.

Ah well, I have no doubt we’ll get it resolved - hopefully sooner rather than later.

Sep 21, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #2,943 of 4,795
Can someone check this for me please. Put on the iem, with the i4 plugged into a source but with music off, touch your finger to the outside of the grille. Do you hear a hum from either side?

Sep 21, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #2,945 of 4,795
Can someone check this for me please. Put on the iem, with the i4 plugged into a source but with music off, touch your finger to the outside of the grille. Do you hear a hum from either side?
Hello
The hum is due to grounding issues.
I had the same problem in 2017.
I was using ifi groundhog with my previous desktop amp(v281/hugo2) to correct this issue.
Try to directly plug the DAC/AMP into the wall instead of an extension cord with multiple plugs so as to prevent ground loops.

But after upgrading to benchmark hpa4 there is no problem at all. Everything is dead quiet.

Sep 21, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #2,946 of 4,795
Sep 21, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #2,947 of 4,795
Turns out it may be more than a cable issue - if I wiggle the Cypher cables plug on right ear piece, it’ll cut out - they had me gently spread the pins a bit to create a snugger fit - doesn’t make a difference. Left ear piece is solid and has zero play, and no issues with sound cutting out.

Hoping this is an issue they’ll resolve quickly, perhaps offer a replacement vs. sending in for a repair and being without for weeks on end. Shame this has to happen on flagship level IEM’s - even the fact one needs to “pry” the pins apart on the plug to make the plug more secure is questionable on $2000+ in ears.

Ah well, I have no doubt we’ll get it resolved - hopefully sooner rather than later.
@Audeze service is one of the best imho.
I am using cipher cable on daily basis for more than a year.
I store my i4 in a pelican 1010 case for best possible protection.

Sep 21, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #2,948 of 4,795
Sep 21, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #2,949 of 4,795
which means it happens regularly...also known as normal.
It should not happen. There is a faint hum even in quiet passages of tracks which increases on touching the housings.
The background is much quiet/blacker after correction of this problem.
YMMV

Sep 21, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #2,950 of 4,795
Yeah, I can't hear any audible hum between tracks or when music is paused. Only when I touch the grilles. It's louder on one side than the other. I do NOT remember this happening with the isine 20. Nor does it happen with any other headphone. I'll try them from my phone and see if the problem is eliminated.

Sep 21, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #2,951 of 4,795
There is no hum with cipher cable/direct plugging.
I am using HFN R2R2k red dap as usb dac with my phone running uapp with cipher pmeq. No hum.

Sep 21, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #2,952 of 4,795
Just got these. They clamp on my ears tight and comfortable and keep the i4s secure on my ears. I did have to cut out the ear clamp from the Audeze version and pop it into these; they fit well.

Really like these.
After using these now for over a week, initially I kept fiddling with them thinking I need to push them further in my ears but its unnecessary; they just sit around my outer ears and they sound glorious. Now I just wrap the hooks around my ears and we're good to go. Upgrades to my xlr, AES, and power cables pushed the i4s to another level. I do have to add some Roon EQ though.

Sep 25, 2019 at 11:59 PM Post #2,954 of 4,795
Sep 26, 2019 at 12:17 AM Post #2,955 of 4,795
Yes. Fantastic.
In terms of sound, no. The cipher cable improves the sound slightly from mids being bloomy without any EQ, but in general they don't sound really resolving or transparent at all. Tonality is off, and I can't belive these are on top of the list of Crin's list, and state that tonality is fixed with the cipher cable, which is not. There's nothing tonally correct or transparent sounding about these. What's up with the ridiculous price for such performance?

As we can see, their EQ doesn't fix the broken response.

LCDi4 no EQ.jpg

LCDi4 Reveal Plugin EQ.jpg

LCDi4 w Cypher cable.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back