Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Jul 22, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #2,836 of 4,791
Not interested in this BT cable as the i4 really sounds best with a nice beefy amp.

Just my opinion though.

Back to the music...

:L3000::L3000::L3000:

Jul 23, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #2,838 of 4,791
I own all the cables, and i can say that the BT module is awesome. You can use it when cables are a hindrance, for example, if you are exercising.

The cipher cable sounds really good, obv BT cipher sounds a little worse, but you can use it with your phone and its highly portable.

I use the original cable with Adi 2 Dac an windows when im at home, if i go out i use the regular cipher with my phone, and sometimes use the BT cable for convenience.

There are different ways to listen to music, also different people will tolerate lower quality audio just for the convenience of mobility.

I really like the options the i4 has, you can use it with high end systems or you can use it with your phone, its amazing.

Jul 23, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #2,839 of 4,791
Pairing the i4 to a bluetooth cable is like Collecting recycled cans in a Bugatti, yes you can do it.... but...
Eh, it's more like taking a race car and outfitting it with headlights, tail lights, and a cushier suspension. Yes, it's not as fast as the track car but you're still the fastest thing on the streets. I think everyone here knows that there is some compromise with BT. Nobody uses BT because they think it sounds better. We use it because it's convenient.

i4 + Cipher BT = the best sounding wireless IEM.

Jul 23, 2019 at 7:05 PM Post #2,840 of 4,791
Eh, it's more like taking a race car and outfitting it with headlights, tail lights, and a cushier suspension. Yes, it's not as fast as the track car but you're still the fastest thing on the streets. I think everyone here knows that there is some compromise with BT. Nobody uses BT because they think it sounds better. We use it because it's convenient.

i4 + Cipher BT = the best sounding wireless IEM.
I get it, its almost impossible for me though. Going from DSD quality output with the dynamics of a good DAP, to bluetooth is not something I can do :)
My DAP goes to the gym with me, if it could go in the shower with me it'd go there too haha

Jul 23, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #2,841 of 4,791
I own all the cables, and i can say that the BT module is awesome. You can use it when cables are a hindrance, for example, if you are exercising.
QUOTE]

No offense, but why would you use a $1000+ (B stock) iem with no water resistance certification for exercising? To each their own, but I would constantly feel like I was playing Russian roulette.

That said, I love the bluetooth cipher cable with mine and think it gives the endgame portable rig.

Jul 25, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #2,844 of 4,791
Jul 26, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #2,846 of 4,791

The cipher cable sounds really good, obv BT cipher sounds a little worse, but you can use it with your phone and its highly portable.

I use the original cable with Adi 2 Dac an windows when im at home, if i go out i use the regular cipher with my phone, and sometimes use the BT cable for convenience.

There are different ways to listen to music, also different people will tolerate lower quality audio just for the convenience of mobility.

I really like the options the i4 has, you can use it with high end systems or you can use it with your phone, its amazing.
How loud does the i4 Cipher get with the i4?

Jul 26, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #2,847 of 4,791

From what I remember, it can get satisfactorily loud, actually as loud as you would like to get it to play within reasonable limits.All in all, it performs decently well with the devices it is meant for. What it does not quite match, IMHO, is the performance and overall refinement of a good cable attached to a well amped source. The stock cable is quite good, and outperforms the cipher cable from what I remember, when it's fed by a source that is well amped. I am saying "from what I remember" because I am no longer using either the stock or the cipher cable that much with the i4 nowadays because I needed to get an aftermarket cable with a balanced termination in order to get optimal sound quality from the device for which I am using it. For uses that do not require a balanced termination, I think the stock cable is actually excellent. I do not mean to suggest in anyway that the Cipher cable is a slouch.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #2,848 of 4,791

The cipher cable works fine if you listen to a reasonable volume. The amp is more powerful than what the BT cable has. However, if you raise the volume too much you get distortion, using my phone i got distortion in the high range at about 85-90% of the volume bar.
The stock cable is superb, using the adi2dac and jriver with audeze reveal it outperforms the cipher by far.
I got the cipher cable because i cannot carry my laptop and adi2dac everywhere so i settle with still outstanding music and portability with both ciphers.
I also dont like carrying dedicated daps, the less one carries, the better.

Jul 30, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #2,850 of 4,791
Hi,
Does anyone know if the Ibasso DX220 can adequately drove the I4's?

Listening to them right now. My favorite combo. I would however recommend running the i4s with amp8. You'll be very gratified by the quality of this little package.

My 220 and amp8 is–heavily–modified, but I'd take the 220 over my Moon Neo 430HAD desktop any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back