Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Mar 4, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #1,741 of 4,786
I'm surprised you're not going on this rampage in the Estron/Linum threads as well. Theirs too are expensive for SPC. Yet guess what, both cables aren't the same as all the other ones out there. You forgot it's not just an OCC SPC you can get for cheaper but they also have woven carbon fiber threads to strengthen em.

And don't forget the isines being peculiar about their cables, with the connector notch and worn down socket, you already see enough users start to complain about sound after paying this much because the cable makers either did the wrong polarity or the user not having given the info. Bad rep Audeze receives for no fault of their own.

I never heard on this forum someone saying they could get a discount from Sennheiser or any c/iem maker for ordering their product without cable.

Mar 4, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #1,742 of 4,786
I'm surprised you're not going on this rampage in the Estron/Linum threads as well. Theirs too are expensive for SPC. Yet guess what, both cables aren't the same as all the other ones out there. You forgot it's not just an OCC SPC you can get for cheaper but they also have woven carbon fiber threads to strengthen em.

And don't forget the isines being peculiar about their cables, with the connector notch and worn down socket, you already see enough users start to complain about sound after paying this much because the cable makers either did the wrong polarity or the user not having given the info. Bad rep Audeze receives for no fault of their own.

I never heard on this forum someone saying they could get a discount from Sennheiser or any c/iem maker for ordering their product without cable.

Calm down, please! Try to remain polite!

Mar 4, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #1,743 of 4,786
play with LCDi4 around 2 weeks,
1. my ear is small, I used small tips for serval day, try to use it as "in-ear", then I found out I much prefer medium size ear tips, which is wired, more like "on-ear" but have a little more soundstage and deep bass. I agree with @x RELIC x about the bass, yes, I think I spend a couple of days to adjust the fit, I don't have a lot of iem experience. Treble is some kind of toned down. When I listen to some saxophone track it feels lack of energy compared to my other full-size HP.
2. I finally got a 1/4 to 3.5mm adapter, and pair with my woo wa6se. I pretty satisfied with the pair. It gives it some lush warm sound which I really like.
3. I think LCDi4 is not an iem endgame, but more like a full-size open headphone replacement. It has a lot of technique advantage compare to other iem but I still need one sealed iem.
Compare to full-size headphone, the size, the weight, the comfy and also even the leaking sound LCDi4 have all the advantage. because of these advantages, I tend to use it more at home.
4. Listening to LCDi4 is really fun and unique experience. the clarity and imaging power makes it so realistic to listen to, One time I really think there is a guy breathing in my left ear and I turn my head to the left and nothing there.
For example: Happy apple by youngth oriented, first 10 seconds, you actually can tell the position.

Mar 5, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #1,744 of 4,786
Had the opportunity to listen to the i4 this weekend at the Nashville Meet. Thanks to Evan and Audeze for Bengtsson there and providing the full line to experience.

The i4 is a significant step up from the ISine 20, superior technicalities, head stage, bass, and treble extension. Time to start saving, definitely see an i4 in my future.

Mar 7, 2018 at 9:11 AM Post #1,745 of 4,786
@baiyy1986 Good analysis, agreed the i4 is a special « IEM » as it’s not isolating but performs very much like a very lightweight open back planar with the « big » sound and definitely a unique experience as your brain reconcile the big sound coming out of such a portable package. Clarity and imaging are indeed top notch and puzzling at times, and given proper source the soundstage is out of this world...

About the treble being « toned down » I wouldn’t say this as treble is really extended and detailed, and is part of the airy feeling... treble is very special but, there is a but, it lacks weight and is smooth detailed... I understand how one would feel it lacks a bit of sparkle in the same way the bass could be said to lack impact at lower volume but it’s bound to be due to the open back nature of the design.

I find the LCD i4 to be engaging but in a more laid back manner than say an IEM like the VE8 that has more sparkle, more impact and dynamism but that’s by design.

Mar 7, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #1,746 of 4,786
play with LCDi4 around 2 weeks,
1. my ear is small, I used small tips for serval day, try to use it as "in-ear", then I found out I much prefer medium size ear tips, which is wired, more like "on-ear" but have a little more soundstage and deep bass. I agree with @x RELIC x about the bass, yes, I think I spend a couple of days to adjust the fit, I don't have a lot of iem experience. Treble is some kind of toned down. When I listen to some saxophone track it feels lack of energy compared to my other full-size HP.
2. I finally got a 1/4 to 3.5mm adapter, and pair with my woo wa6se. I pretty satisfied with the pair. It gives it some lush warm sound which I really like.
3. I think LCDi4 is not an iem endgame, but more like a full-size open headphone replacement. It has a lot of technique advantage compare to other iem but I still need one sealed iem.
Compare to full-size headphone, the size, the weight, the comfy and also even the leaking sound LCDi4 have all the advantage. because of these advantages, I tend to use it more at home.
4. Listening to LCDi4 is really fun and unique experience. the clarity and imaging power makes it so realistic to listen to, One time I really think there is a guy breathing in my left ear and I turn my head to the left and nothing there.
For example: Happy apple by youngth oriented, first 10 seconds, you actually can tell the position.
I have the lcd i4 for the past 8 months...
Frankly speaking. . I m so used to its design, open nature n comfort ... going back to iem is just impossible .... tried encore, katana, layla, dita dreams, roxannes , se 846.... they were unbearable....
Plus ... i commute in a relatively quite environment ... and i am aware of my surroundings... its a good thing .. i dnt have to buy a closed iem for the same....
I have an inclination towards iem .... hate heavy headphones tied to big amps ...

The sound is absolutely fantastic. .
They surprise me every day ....
I listen to a variety of genres ...but
jazz, classics, edm on hugo 2 n lcd i4 is stellar....
The realism is unmatched. Only utopia matches the transparency ...

Everyone knows the bass on planar is one of the best .... but on lcd i4 the higher frequencies have excellent extension , dynamics n AIRY .... most important there is no fatigue at all ...its like an electrostat...

I can go on n on praising the lcd i4 ...

Few tracks :
1. Right n left channel testing in dr chesky headphones show.. binaural audio ..recorded in a cathedral ....

2. Dunkirk soundtrack especially supermarine track...it really pushes the lcd i4 ... no iem can match this level

Thanks

Mar 7, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #1,747 of 4,786
Love the above description. I've been on the verge of getting these for awhile. Just a question though; aside from comfort, convenience, etc, what is the straight up sonic comparison to something like the LCD 3 or 4 full size?

thx

Mar 13, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #1,748 of 4,786
I'm currently listening (enjoying..) the following setup..

MacBook Air -> Audirvana+ 3 -> Audeze Reveal Plugin -> Lavricable Reference Silver USB A-B interconnect cable -> Chord Hugo 2 -> LCDi4 premium braided cable* -> Audeze LCD-i4

..and I simply don't understand how is it possible that such a lightweight trans-portable setup can sound so sublimely marvelous, this was simply not possible a few years back..

I stoped reading gear reviews and started exploring on Tidal for new music (to buy later on.. because we have to support our heroes! Tidal-Spotify-Deezer.. are giving them peanuts).
Only when you stop thinking about the setup you are sure you found the right one, and you can focus on what is really important: the music.

Joy, pure joy.. (currently listening to Siv Jakobsen, will definitely buy at least one of her albums.. go check her out)

Mar 13, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #1,749 of 4,786
I'm currently listening (enjoying..) the following setup..

MacBook Air -> Audirvana+ 3 -> Audeze Reveal Plugin -> Lavricable Reference Silver USB A-B interconnect cable -> Chord Hugo 2 -> LCDi4 premium braided cable* -> Audeze LCD-i4

..and I simply don't understand how is it possible that such a lightweight trans-portable setup can sound so sublimely marvelous, this was simply not possible a few years back..

I stoped reading gear reviews and started exploring on Tidal for new music (to buy later on.. because we have to support our heroes! Tidal-Spotify-Deezer.. are giving them peanuts).
Only when you stop thinking about the setup you are sure you found the right one, and you can focus on what is really important: the music.

Joy, pure joy.. (currently listening to Siv Jakobsen, will definitely buy at least one of her albums.. go check her out)
your post make me so excited , cant wait to get my hands on my i4 :)
how do you compare it to your U18t ,, it was under my radar but i got a good deal on the audeze so i went that direction

Mar 14, 2018 at 3:29 AM Post #1,750 of 4,786
your post make me so excited , cant wait to get my hands on my i4 :)
how do you compare it to your U18t ,, it was under my radar but i got a good deal on the audeze so i went that direction
The LCD-i4 (by itself..) to me has a very wired tonality, it was discussed many times on this and other threads.. anyway, we're all different and some people like it "plain" but I much prefer it with the Reveal Plugin preset. It's a mini planar magnetic headphone with enormous soundstage, great resolution and clarity and well.. it's a planar, pure Audeze planar.

The U18t is another beast altogether, to me it is the king (..the Tzar :) ) of IEM BA.. the tuning is to my exact liking (I choose it over the Fourte after trying both) with excellent resolution and very wide soundstage (for an IEM), thnx to Apex I feel zero fatigue over a longer listening session, but isolation is lesser than all non-vented IEMs I tried.

To answer your question: I don't compare them, I love both.. LCD-i4 at home, U18t on the go.

Mar 14, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #1,751 of 4,786
has anyone notice the cable is very sensitive to current?
I mean, first time I notice is when I charge and play my mojo paired with it, I can feel in my right ear some hmmm sound.
Today I took off my jacket, when it pass the cable, there is a very strong cracking sound in my left ear almost kill me...

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #1,752 of 4,786
The LCD-i4 (by itself..) to me has a very wired tonality, it was discussed many times on this and other threads.. anyway, we're all different and some people like it "plain" but I much prefer it with the Reveal Plugin preset. It's a mini planar magnetic headphone with enormous soundstage, great resolution and clarity and well.. it's a planar, pure Audeze planar.

The U18t is another beast altogether, to me it is the king (..the Tzar :) ) of IEM BA.. the tuning is to my exact liking (I choose it over the Fourte after trying both) with excellent resolution and very wide soundstage (for an IEM), thnx to Apex I feel zero fatigue over a longer listening session, but isolation is lesser than all non-vented IEMs I tried.

To answer your question: I don't compare them, I love both.. LCD-i4 at home, U18t on the go.
That is also my thought!
One LCD i4, and another good sealed IEM, perfect!

Mar 14, 2018 at 11:08 PM Post #1,753 of 4,786
has anyone notice the cable is very sensitive to current?
I mean, first time I notice is when I charge and play my mojo paired with it, I can feel in my right ear some hmmm sound.
Today I took off my jacket, when it pass the cable, there is a very strong cracking sound in my left ear almost kill me...

I've had this problem, too, but not very often. Usually it's when it's very dry, and static electricity is a problem. I've had the hum when something is plugged into the wall.

Mar 15, 2018 at 12:12 AM Post #1,754 of 4,786
I've had this problem, too, but not very often. Usually it's when it's very dry, and static electricity is a problem. I've had the hum when something is plugged into the wall.
hum sound does not bother me I think, but today when I put my jacket throw the cable, there is a very loud blast sound in my left driver, only one second and it get back to normal, I just don’t want the driver damaged.

Mar 15, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #1,755 of 4,786

I have them hum a lot when touching either side, while not plugged to anything... so yes static can be an issue :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back