Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Dec 22, 2021 at 10:22 PM Post #3,481 of 6,756
Probably the Norne.

The ZMF 2k Copper be similar to stock cable, really.

I have some exceptionally nice silver plated type 6 litz coming, 22awg, soft as. What I'll be making for my own LCD5 cable.
I am using the Norne S3 and the stock cable with the 5. I prefer the S3 for just a bit more detail. Your post reminded me that I also have a mini XLR WyWires Platinum I need to try!

Dec 22, 2021 at 10:29 PM Post #3,482 of 6,756
I have the 5 and had 2 copies of the 4...the 4's bass is not better it is more bloated and overwhelming yes which is why in large part the 5 appears so much more detailed...
Can't say that was my experience on my system listening to my genres. What genres are you listening to?
I'd take a EQd LCD5 over a LCD4 for EDM any day.

Bass quality, detail, texture. Boost it 5db and be done with it. EDM isn't just bass quantity and "impact". I also find the 5 has good impact, and I've come from the D8000, which has exceptional impact.
5db is not a realistic generic recommendation for all music and volume levels in my experience. Or perhaps better said, 5db seems fine if your intention is to stay at low to medium volume levels. The cans can get their butts kicked at that level of boost on certain songs. Been there, done that.

No wonder. Looks like a bass shelf starting at 1k.

I know.. not really. But I can kinda see how it might sound more in relation to the rest.

1640220412301.png
In my experience there's no "might" about it. The 4's have objectively more bass. Quality is debatable here of course. Quantity is not. Those who somehow can't tell the difference just main genres where it doesn't matter much.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #3,483 of 6,756
IMHO the reason that so many people who compared TOTL HP's described the 4 as muddy is the bass overwhelming everything else due to the way it was tuned...the reason the bass on my abyss TC is so good is that it is really powerful without obscuring thus the abyss sounds spacious and detailed along with the bass...I love the tuning of the 5 and have no need to EQ...the bass is great while allowing the 5 to sound detailed..again IMHO

Dec 23, 2021 at 12:41 AM Post #3,484 of 6,756
As others have said, I think type of music makes a big difference in preference especially concerning bass. I have the LCD4 and the TC, I like the bass on both, but they are definitely different presentations. I actually like the fuller sound of the LCD4's bass with some music. While the TC's with others. No right or wrong. That is why I appreciate peoples comparisons to other headphones as well as type of music used to evaluate.

Dec 23, 2021 at 1:46 AM Post #3,485 of 6,756
I'd take a EQd LCD5 over a LCD4 for EDM any day.

Bass quality, detail, texture. Boost it 5db and be done with it. EDM isn't just bass quantity and "impact". I also find the 5 has good impact, and I've come from the D8000, which has exceptional impact.
Likewise, though I'm happy with a slightly lower bass shelf. EDM is my main genre and gets ~75% of my listening time.

Dec 23, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #3,486 of 6,756
I just received my new LCD-5 and I found unpleasant surprise inside the case. Knob was unscrewed from the Yoke and was moving freely inside of the aluminium case. It probably dameged the protection net inside the pad, as well as the leather of the pad itself. It could also made an scratch on the headband. Plus the foil bag in which are cables was torn.

Do you think that the damage to the net can have an effect on the sound? I was waiting more then two months for LCD-5 and if I was to return them I would have to wait probably next 2-3 months for new pair. Or maybe Audeze could send me new pair of pads and headband? @KMann

APHlOS.jpg

Attachments

• Zdjęcie 22.12.2021, 22 21 28.jpg
    Zdjęcie 22.12.2021, 22 21 28.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Zdjęcie 22.12.2021, 22 21 50.jpg
    Zdjęcie 22.12.2021, 22 21 50.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Zdjęcie 22.12.2021, 22 24 01.jpg
    Zdjęcie 22.12.2021, 22 24 01.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • Zdjęcie 23.12.2021, 13 14 41.jpg
    Zdjęcie 23.12.2021, 13 14 41.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Dec 23, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #3,488 of 6,756
I just received my new LCD-5 and I found unpleasant surprise inside the case. Knob was unscrewed from the Yoke and was moving freely inside of the aluminium case. It probably dameged the protection net inside the pad, as well as the leather of the pad itself. It could also made an scratch on the headband. Plus the foil bag in which are cables was torn.

Do you think that the damage to the net can have an effect on the sound? I was waiting more then two months for LCD-5 and if I was to return them I would have to wait probably next 2-3 months for new pair. Or maybe Audeze could send me new pair of pads and headband? @KMann

APHlOS.jpg
Yea give them a call today. Audeze will get you squared away quickly. Very responsive company.

Dec 23, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #3,489 of 6,756
Looking to buy an LCD4. If anyone is looking to part ways :)

Hoping to have it on hand again to throw into my LCD-R/ LCD5 / CRBN review.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Dec 23, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #3,490 of 6,756
I'm really sorry for you. I'm sure Audeze will help you quickly and easily!
Thank you!

Yea give them a call today. Audeze will get you squared away quickly. Very responsive company.
I'm from Poland also I was buying from dealer not Audeze directly, so I need to do it by them. That's why I assume it'll take a long time. It's a shame LCD-5 seems nice addition to LCD-4 and 1266 TC.

Dec 23, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #3,491 of 6,756
Resolve posted another EQ over on hp.com

I tried it and found it really good. With the recent talk of 5db bass shelf not working I thought i'd try more with this profile and found it works well to my preference. I ended up disabling the first 42 hz band and went with Chrono's approach with the bass shelf and Q and boosting a few dB. With everything from Alicia Keys to bass heavy tracks sounding spectacular. I like a rave type sound that plays well with R&B and Hip Hop. Full bodied, rich without being boomy or muddy, at least to me. Best I have heard yet.

Deleted band 1
Band 2: 85 hz +6db Q.7
Rest is same.

Attachments

• 8b8958051271e50bdfb335137a21afd77b2620a1.png
    8b8958051271e50bdfb335137a21afd77b2620a1.png
    33.2 KB · Views: 0
Dec 23, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #3,492 of 6,756
Thank you!

I'm from Poland also I was buying from dealer not Audeze directly, so I need to do it by them. That's why I assume it'll take a long time. It's a shame LCD-5 seems nice addition to LCD-4 and 1266 TC.
oh you have a TC! How do you like it? How much do you use it vs your LCD-4? Do you find they complement each other or overlap? I was looking to buy a TC next week and I'd definitely appreciate your thoughts.

Resolve posted another EQ over on hp.com

I tried it and found it really good. With the recent talk of 5db bass shelf not working I thought i'd try more with this profile and found it works well to my preference. I ended up disabling the first 42 hz band and went with Chrono's approach with the bass shelf and Q and boosting a few dB. With everything from Alicia Keys to bass heavy tracks sounding spectacular. I like a rave type sound that plays well with R&B and Hip Hop. Full bodied, rich without being boomy or muddy, at least to me. Best I have heard yet.

Deleted band 1
Band 2: 85 hz +6db Q.7
Rest is same.
Interesting. Will try. I really would like these LCD-5's to work for me if possible.

edit: this might be the EQ I was looking for. :O

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #3,493 of 6,756
oh you have a TC! How do you like it? How much do you use it vs your LCD-4? Do you find they complement each other or overlap? I was looking to buy a TC next week and I'd definitely appreciate your thoughts.

Interesting. Will try. I really would like these LCD-5's to work for me if possible.

edit: this might be the EQ I was looking for. :O

One thing I will say though is my WA7 at 1.5w Class A is not enough for these while using eq. Maybe an impedance thing or ESS chip thing don't know, but there was a slight weak character to some upper treble I heard. Hard to describe. Definitely enough volume without eq. There is just barely enough headroom and I find I have to max the pot. Nice kit and sound if not using eq, but I do not recommend the LCD 5 or i4 on it if you are.

Dec 23, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #3,494 of 6,756
One thing I will say though is my WA7 at 1.5w Class A is not enough for these while using eq. Maybe an impedance thing or ESS chip thing don't know, but there was a slight weak character to some upper treble I heard. Hard to describe. Definitely enough volume without eq. There is just barely enough headroom and I find I have to max the pot. Nice kit and sound if not using eq, but I do not recommend the LCD 5 or i4 on it if you are.
I use my LCD i4 and occasionally my LCD 5 on my WA8 which has less power with eq with no problems. I also use my LCD 5 with my chord DAVE with eq. The DAVE has 1.4 watts output and is used by Audeze and Kmann as well as Glen Schick (well known Mastering engineer) with the 5s. I will admit i don’t boost the bass in eq more than 3 or 4 db but that’s a matter of taste. We listen to very different types of music. Just offering a second opinion.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back