Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Oct 14, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #1,546 of 6,780
Ones from dealer supposed went out this week. Very small batches from what I'm hearing. I ordered day 1 within 30 minutes of go-live from dealer and I didn't even make the first batch. Only people I know who have gotten from dealers have very close hookups with a dealer.

Did you order Day 1?
I ordered one day after announcement. So probably missed that shipment. Will ask my dealer again, thanks.

Oct 14, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #1,547 of 6,780
Decided to go for the LCD-4 ==>> LCD-5 upgrade. It does help that the process is reversible if customer is not satisfied, although I hate returning big ticket items that I have already purchased. In the end, I think I read enough about the LCD-5 to assume safely that it wouldn't attempt to "clone" my Susvara's sound to any alarming degree. So I just hope I like it as much as some of the most impressed reviewers do Fingers crossed.
+ another one, sent mine out yesterday. I like the idea that they can be returned if they are not my thing.

Oct 14, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #1,548 of 6,780
Yes, I have a small head, so I've been spared so far, but I believe the LCD-5 is another salvo in the war against audiophiles with large noggins. First Abyss, then Audeze...

BsaIW3W.gif

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #1,549 of 6,780
Yes, I have a small head, so I've been spared so far, but I believe the LCD-5 is another salvo in the war against audiophiles with large noggins. First Abyss, then Audeze...
I have never seen the LCD-4s in the flesh but I just noticed that they also have a carbon fibre headband. Lcd-4 owners, did you find that they stretched out or loosened at all over time?

Oct 14, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #1,550 of 6,780

BsaIW3W.gif
Although it takes a couple extra steps (and $30 extra), Audeze can cater to those with larger noggins (guilty as charged). They offer longer yoke rods for the LCD series which I used successfully with several sets of LCD headphones (including the LCD-R recently). While I could wear the LCDs with the standard yoke rods, the extended rod definitely help increase the comfort. If the LCD-5 isn't comfortable for my swollen head, I would hope Audeze (are you listening Guys!?! ) could come up with some options (short of modding an old headband and yoke rods)...
Cheers and We'll See! :beerchug:
-HK sends

Oct 14, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #1,551 of 6,780
100+ pages and very few actual impressions and a few useless reviews. It’s too bad Audeze didn’t have the LCD5 available to more professional reviewers ahead of the launch. I’m sure there’s a lot of people waiting to hear what others think to help them decide whether to order or not. The initial hype probably sells a few on impulse, this is a missed opportunity. Combine that with dealers getting second crack and this is a botched launch, could have easily put these into the hands of dealers for a simultaneous launch which supports the dealer network and provides customers with a place to actually test the product, coupled with the trade in offer would have been perfect to walk into a store with an LCD4 and walk out with a trade- instead more friction of having to ship and animosity from customers waiting that purchased locally. There’s my free advice from someone who has managed a product before.

Oct 14, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #1,552 of 6,780
100+ pages and very few actual impressions and a few useless reviews.
<sarcasm> We've all been served. Audeze has dropped the ball. Head-Fi, get on the phone to Stereophile right meow! :L3000: </sarcasm>

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #1,553 of 6,780
Although it takes a couple extra steps (and $30 extra), Audeze can cater to those with larger noggins (guilty as charged). They offer longer yoke rods for the LCD series which I used successfully with several sets of LCD headphones (including the LCD-R recently). While I could wear the LCDs with the standard yoke rods, the extended rod definitely help increase the comfort. If the LCD-5 isn't comfortable for my swollen head, I would hope Audeze (are you listening Guys!?! ) could come up with some options (short of modding an old headband and yoke rods)...
Cheers and We'll See! :beerchug:
-HK sends
We are always listenin :) , and yes we are on it. Longer rods and optional carbon headbands with even less clamping for those endowed with above average cranium. This way, seal is not compromised for folks with less wide heads.

Logistics are quite insane now, making it hard to provide any ETA but we are talking 1-2 months, don't have any more information than that.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #1,555 of 6,780
Oct 14, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #1,556 of 6,780
We are always listenin :) , and yes we are on it. Longer rods and optional carbon headbands with even less clamping for those endowed with above average cranium. this way, seal is not compromised for folks with less wide heads.

Logistics are quite insane now, making it hard to provide any ETA but we are talking 1-2 months, don't have any more information than that.
Could you please clarify? Are you saying that they come standard with longer rods or is this something that has to be requested specially? And what do you mean “optional carbon headband”? What is the other option? A bigger version?

I have a huge head and ordered a pair today so I’d love to know what you meant so that I can (if necessary) act quickly.

Oct 14, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #1,557 of 6,780
We are always listenin :) , and yes we are on it. Longer rods and optional carbon headbands with even less clamping for those endowed with above average cranium. this way, seal is not compromised for folks with less wide heads.

I knew you was...:beerchug: Just wanted to reassure the rest o' the folk on the thread!
Cheers!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Oct 14, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #1,558 of 6,780
100+ pages and very few actual impressions and a few useless reviews. It’s too bad Audeze didn’t have the LCD5 available to more professional reviewers ahead of the launch. I’m sure there’s a lot of people waiting to hear what others think to help them decide whether to order or not. The initial hype probably sells a few on impulse, this is a missed opportunity. Combine that with dealers getting second crack and this is a botched launch, could have easily put these into the hands of dealers for a simultaneous launch which supports the dealer network and provides customers with a place to actually test the product, coupled with the trade in offer would have been perfect to walk into a store with an LCD4 and walk out with a trade- instead more friction of having to ship and animosity from customers waiting that purchased locally. There’s my free advice from someone who has managed a product before.
Seems like a stretch to call it a "botched launch" when orders are vastly exceeding their production capacity in spite of a dearth of in-depth reviews. The one thing I could fault Audeze on was not having three or four LCD-5 stations at CanJam with identical electronics and full access to Qobuz or Tidal. This would have allowed attendees to spend more time with the headphones, with their personal music choices. I'm not telling Audeze how to showcase their product(s), but that's what I would have arranged had I been in charge.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #1,559 of 6,780
Could you please clarify? Are you saying that they come standard with longer rods or is this something that has to be requested specially? And what do you mean “optional carbon headband”? What is the other option? A bigger version?

I have a huge head and ordered a pair today so I’d love to know what you meant so that I can (if necessary) act quickly.
Right now they ship with the standard yolk-rod and headband only, but longer yolk-rod and carbon fiber headband with less clamping will become available (don't have ETA). I do not have all the information. Just like longer yolk rods are available for our previous LCD models as an optional accessory (that can be bought), you will be able to get the longer yolk rods for LCD-5 too. Please note that the yolk rods of the other LCD models are not compatible with LCD-5.

Once they become available, you will be allowed to swap the headband with less clamping for the standard headband. They are exactly the same size, drop in replacement, but have less clamping force. The details are not fully worked out yet. You will not have to pay for the headband swap.

(All details are subject to change and support won't have any more information)

Edited for clarity

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #1,560 of 6,780
I can't understand why people are getting so upset over the LCD-5 launch. There are parts shortages all over the world for all kinds of materials (including *Gasp* electronics) and folks are grousing about the trickling of hand-built headphones coming out of a not so large business. Of course they are going to look towards their own orders first...easiest logistics. Then, slowly build up small inventory for distribution to authorized sellers. Would you have preferred they announce them for release next June so they had time to build a couple thousand so they could pre-position them to other vendors?
Yes, it's a mess. But go buy a new car, or a video card in a store at MSRP. At least Audeze isn't fighting scalpers and having people sell their headphones for 300% over retail. Unfortunately, it's the times. I hope things will get better (they usually do). Unleashing impatient vitriol against Audeze, who is trying their best, isn't helping anyone...
Keep Calm and Cheers!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back