Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Oct 3, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #1,036 of 6,781
Definitely tired of saying it, the CFA3 is the best solid state headamp out there. Matches your favorite speaker amp with 16W into 50 ohms and is making your favorite commercial amplifiers seem like toys.
Are these amps DIY only? Do you have a recommended site for getting a kit?

Oct 3, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #1,037 of 6,781
Oct 3, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #1,038 of 6,781
Definitely tired of saying it, the CFA3 is the best solid state headamp out there. Matches your favorite speaker amp with 16W into 50 ohms and is making your favorite commercial amplifiers seem like toys.
Can the CFA3 be tweaked to handle E-stats as well?

Oct 3, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #1,039 of 6,781
There is a CFA electrostat version, of course.

The CFA3 is entirely different.

Oct 3, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #1,040 of 6,781
There is a CFA electrostat version, of course.

The CFA3 is entirely different.
Those are no amps you can just buy though.
Which is rather sad

Oct 3, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #1,042 of 6,781
Those are no amps you can just buy though.
Which is rather sad
You may have them built by trusted builders without fuss if you heart so desired, my friend.

Oct 3, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #1,043 of 6,781
This would be received better if it could be readily configured and purchased. There is value in ease of understanding, ordering, and getting equipment so while it might be the best you have heard it is still a bit cumbersome compared to the other items we have available to us from the status quo (I fully understand that irony of that statement). So in conclusion if someone could come up with an e-commerce interface and ordering system for the CFA3 then I bet more would sample and enjoy it as you have.

Oct 3, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #1,044 of 6,781
This would be received better if it could be readily configured and purchased. There is value in ease of understanding, ordering, and getting equipment so while it might be the best you have heard it is still a bit cumbersome compared to the other items we have available to us from the status quo (I fully understand that irony of that statement). So in conclusion if someone could come up with an e-commerce interface and ordering system for the CFA3 then I bet more would sample and enjoy it as you have.
Sign a petition. There are many amps to exploit the LCD-5 performance.

The best which happens to be utter overkill in every way happens to be from Kevin Gilmore.

He doesn't do commercial. Beg Justin of Headamp to adapt a CFA3.

Oct 3, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #1,045 of 6,781
Sign a petition. There are many amps to exploit the LCD-5 performance.

The best which happens to be utter overkill in every way happens to be from Kevin Gilmore.

He doesn't do commercial. Beg Justin of Headamp to adapt a CFA3.
understood, but I only bend my knee for my Lord!

Oct 3, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #1,046 of 6,781
understood, but I only bend my knee for my Lord!
If you don't ask, then you don't receive.

I asked Justin to adapt a RAAL amplifier, he's working on it.

But perhaps you need a CoC venture. Shrugs.

Oct 3, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #1,047 of 6,781
I'm reading the LCD-5 specs and it says max power handling is 5W RMS. The Burson Soloist GT that I ordered puts out 10W into 16ohm and the LCD-5 is only 14ohm. Is it safe to use this amp?
I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but how much power you're actually putting into the headphones still depends on what you set the volume knob to. A 1W, 10W or 100W amplifier will send the same amount of power into a given headphone when listening at the same volume.

There may be minor differences (in terms of power) when transients hit, which may make a more powerful amplifier preferable in terms of sound quality, but you could use a 1000W amplifier and it would be safe depending on the volume knob range and what you set it to, though I'd expect it to be a bit noisy at that point.

Oct 3, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #1,048 of 6,781
I'm reading the LCD-5 specs and it says max power handling is 5W RMS. The Burson Soloist GT that I ordered puts out 10W into 16ohm and the LCD-5 is only 14ohm. Is it safe to use this amp?
You'll likely stop with the volume control long before the LCD5 is damaged. No problem having an amp with excess power as long as you're not using all of it - which is regulated by the volume control. I'll be using an amp with 25wpc at the LCD5 impedance.

Oct 3, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #1,049 of 6,781
I have owned several audeze HP's and have had one driver failure and when I did audeze dealt with it about as well as could be asked, also of all the manufacturers I have dealt with audeze has IMHO the best customer service of any....just saying..I have also had driver failures with other HP's
Have owned 2, 3 PF, X, i4, 4z, no failures just solid clean performance. Guess i just got lucky. I tried swapping in Dekoni pads on the 4z, liked original pads better, but they were falling off so i called Audeze to try to get them repaired since it was my fault, and they sent me the repair kit no charge. Now good as new, pretty good customer service. So anyone can bad-mouth Audeze but i cant ever see myself without having an Audeze product in my possession. Still love my 4z BTW. The i4 still rocks too but rarely use them as i prefer over-ears headphones. Will likely acquire LCD5 someday i suspect...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back