Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Sep 28, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #842 of 6,785
I wanted to provide some reference with respect to DAVE on volume, with LCD-5 I am mostly at -24dB to -22dB
Nice! Now I really want one. If the Dave can drive it then LCD-5 could be a game changer for me.

Sep 28, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #844 of 6,785
A lot of music has a wide dynamic range, meaning that you won't be able to maintain 80dB. If you're listening to classical or jazz you may have the quiet passages at 75-80dB, but the sudden peaks of the explosive passages can go well into 90-100dB+.

This is what Currawong and Kmann were saying about having an amp with the ability to deliver instantaneous current to the drivers.
But "explosive passages" that go "well into "90-100db+" shouldn't be an issue -- after all, the graphs show a substantial difference between 110 dB and 120 db. So, I still don't see any music that people generally listen to at, say, 84 dB (which is at the TOP end of what I listen to generally) going beyond 110 dB in "explosive passages" for even very short bursts, as after all, that would be rather dangerous for the ears anyway.

Who the heck listens that loud? :D

Sep 28, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #846 of 6,785
How do you guys measure how many dB you listen at?
There are various phone apps that use the phone’s mic to measure decibel level.

I thought I listened loud, but it only measured at 70db most of the time. 85db is crazy to me. 100db, insane. I don’t even know how that could be anything but painful

Sep 28, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #847 of 6,785

Attachments

• 41ad4NQcOnL._AC_SY580_.jpg
    41ad4NQcOnL._AC_SY580_.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 0
Sep 28, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #849 of 6,785
But "explosive passages" that go "well into "90-100db+" shouldn't be an issue -- after all, the graphs show a substantial difference between 110 dB and 120 db. So, I still don't see any music that people generally listen to at, say, 84 dB (which is at the TOP end of what I listen to generally) going beyond 110 dB in "explosive passages" for even very short bursts, as after all, that would be rather dangerous for the ears anyway.

Who the heck listens that loud? :D
Haha agreed. Generally speaking, " headroom" is a bit of an overblown term in audiophile circles. Tho, there have been some good points made here about having enough current delivery to properly drive the LCD-5.

Even if your peaks aren't venturing into 118 dB territory, you may still find that you have better bass control with a different amp at the same listening levels.

Similar to how @Currawong was talking about with DAPs not being an optimal pairing.

Kind of a weird way of trying to say don't sweat it too much, just try and make sure you have a quality headamp you'll probably be just fine at regular listening levels.

Sep 28, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #850 of 6,785
There are various phone apps that use the phone’s mic to measure decibel level.

I thought I listened loud, but it only measured at 70db most of the time. 85db is crazy to me. 100db, insane. I don’t even know how that could be anything but painful
Decibel X app, as an example.

I agree, be careful with your ears guys! This hobby isn't about headphones in the end, it's about music. And you still want to enjoy music when you're old and grey.

Sep 28, 2021 at 7:56 PM Post #852 of 6,785
Excited for more impressions as people begin testing with their gear soon!

Sep 28, 2021 at 8:10 PM Post #854 of 6,785
whoa whoa whoa whoa..

Man, now I'm hoping mine isn't delayed because I asked for them to include a balanced cable instead... :O

When did you order?
I'm hoping the same, I also requested a balanced cable. I ordered 3 minutes after they launched on the website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back