Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Sep 23, 2021 at 2:57 AM Post #556 of 6,780
I'm trying the LCD-5 out of various amps. I'd rate them as being pretty ruthless, as anything at all wrong with a recording shows up pretty clearly. Everything that is great as well. I'm with Jude in that I'd EQ the mids down and bass up a bit for regular listening. I think these will be excellent for studio use where there's no background noise, as you really do hear everything.

I'm not sure how much it's my brain and how much the headphones, but the mid-range seems a touch less aggressive than when I first listened with them. What is great is the balance of both width and depth is very even. Instead of being wider and flatter (D8K Pro) or deep and narrow (Utopias) these sit nicely in the middle, neither just in your head, or just outside it. This out of a TT2 and MScaler.

Sep 23, 2021 at 3:05 AM Post #557 of 6,780
I'm trying the LCD-5 out of various amps. I'd rate them as being pretty ruthless, as anything at all wrong with a recording shows up pretty clearly. Everything that is great as well. I'm with Jude in that I'd EQ the mids down and bass up a bit for regular listening. I think these will be excellent for studio use where there's no background noise, as you really do hear everything.

I'm not sure how much it's my brain and how much the headphones, but the mid-range seems a touch less aggressive than when I first listened with them. What is great is the balance of both width and depth is very even. Instead of being wider and flatter (D8K Pro) or deep and narrow (Utopias) these sit nicely in the middle, neither just in your head, or just outside it. This out of a TT2 and MScaler.
And the dynamics? That’s the missing piece for me, lol.

Sep 23, 2021 at 3:10 AM Post #558 of 6,780
If only there were a TC with focus on bass and midrange instead of bass and treble...
That's where tube amplifiers come into play.

Sep 23, 2021 at 4:08 AM Post #559 of 6,780

do you use an amp? I also have a TT2 and a M-Scaler and I found LCD-4 better driven with an amp than just using the TT2's amp. the difference isn't huge but at that gear price I just can't afford to miss out on some quality.

Sep 23, 2021 at 4:09 AM Post #560 of 6,780

I'm looking forward to your comparisons with D8000 and Utopia, since I could understand differences in detail, tuning and "punch"...

Sep 23, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #561 of 6,780
I am at least happy that there are still companies that don't focus on just pleasing the slammy bass heads with the TOTL headphones. Looks like all the latest ones, Elite, Stealth and LCD5 are in that direction. Actually even Solitaire P, which has big but well controlled bass.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #562 of 6,780
For me it is ridiculous that there are people that believe otherwise, that think they know something above it all. Nothing different from believing in conspiracy theories. It is a borderline religious attitude we have here on HeadFi. Because billions of people believe that the mighty God created bla bla and then took a rest, or some guy took off from the deset to the space on his camel to meet the God, because it is billions of people, you expect me to stop and say "but maybe they have a point, let's investigate that camel". Nothing different here, you want to believe in the "unknown" talent the HeadFi citizens have that can get passed the facts. In fact, in many cases the otherwise is true: Measuerment devices are much more sensitive and precise than human auditory system.

Because that is how you engineer a product. You don't go "by the ear". You don't build an amplifier without checking distortion or without calculating your circuit. Anyone that says that they are playing it by the ear, is just saying that he was not able to deal with the technical background so decided to take his chance and use marketing tools to trick the customers hiding his technical incompetence.

Because I can.

If we go by the food, reading the measurements is like checking if your packaged food has expired, or checking the ingredients if there are chemical preservatives inside, or making sure that there is nothing that causes allergic reactions to you (like many people have this with nuts, walnuts etc.). Measurements give you the fundemental ingredients. If a cook uses double, triple the amount of salt, or completely misses it, it will taste bad. Don't bring me the "but I don't check it every time to understand the taste", because they are not comparable. You don't buy amplifiers and headphones 3 times a day. Food production has been nearly there since emergance of civilazition. The engineering / cooking behind is much cheaper and much less complicated. And you are used to what to expect. You don't expect a horribly salty hamburger, because you do it often and you are used to what to expect. You don't make a hobby of buying a hamburger or a milk. You don't make it into a hobby. You don't get a collection of pizza boxes at home. You can even produce it at home.

If it has a peak or a dip in the measurements it will turn into bad sound, period.

What are you talking about. While I 100% agree with the analogy of analyzing the ingredients of food -

You are not going to DIE or hurt yourself by listening to a headphone, And you won't suffer an allergic reaction.

Why analyze the ingredients of the food when you can just taste it and see if it's good or not?

Why complicate everything and read the graph and measurements when you can listen to the headphone yourself and see if you like it or not?

You can't tell the quality of the driver and sound from a graph - Take a 500$ headphone and a 5000$ headphone and EQ them to have a very close FR response.

Which one will sound better? - Obviously the 5000$ one, But you are not able to see it through the graph.

There are so many different aspects to the sound that are not shown through the measurements such as:

Detail retrieval
Bass Impact (not amount, But physical impact)
Bass speed
Instrument separation
Soundstage Width, Depth
Imaging
Layering
ETC.....

You also don't know how the sound will come together and actually sound as a whole.

We are different than the measuring gear and our ears perceive sound differently.

It's going to be really hard to determine what you like and don't like according to a graph, You have to be very familiar with yourself and have your own FR profile and know how you hear different frequencies.

So again - Why bother yourself with all that When you can just listen to the headphones and hear if you actually like them or not? - Without missing any aspect of the sound?

And we haven't touched dacs and amplifiers who can alter the FR graph from the measurement.

Also, It's incredibly stupid to decide whether a headphone suits you or not without actually trying it first - Especially when talking about 4500$ and thousands more on equipment.

If you are serious about spending 4500$ on a headphone it's best to test it thoroughly by actually using the product. And when you have that kind of money to put on headphones you can afford to spend a few extra 100$s to fly to a different country and test them.

Sep 23, 2021 at 8:32 AM Post #563 of 6,780
I am at least happy that there are still companies that don't focus on just pleasing the slammy bass heads with the TOTL headphones. Looks like all the latest ones, Elite, Stealth and LCD5 are in that direction. Actually even Solitaire P, which has big but well controlled bass.
Well there are next to none manufacturers that produce flagships that please Bass heads.

I can think of Abyss 1266 TC, Meze Empyrean and Final D8000 and that is a complete list already.

The rest is neutral and certainly not with Bass heads in mind.

As a Basshead this reality saddens me.
If I missed high end Basshead headphones please tell me, I need to check those out:)

Sep 23, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #566 of 6,780
Sep 23, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #568 of 6,780
Well there are next to none manufacturers that produce flagships that please Bass heads.

I can think of Abyss 1266 TC, Meze Empyrean and Final D8000 and that is a complete list already.

The rest is neutral and certainly not with Bass heads in mind.

As a Basshead this reality saddens me.
If I missed high end Basshead headphones please tell me, I need to check those out:)

Wondering how these new LCD5s compare to the Abyss PHI 1266 TC. Which I have had my eyes on for some time. Anyone with access to both, please post thoughts, impressions, etc.

Sep 23, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #569 of 6,780
I got to hear these when they were showcasing them in nyc. I own the 4z and master records with Various Audeze headphones (4z, lcdi4 and even the lcd1). I always eq my headphones! But the 5s sounded like they didn’t need eq, records with shouty 3k sounded shouty as they do on my mastering monitors. Comparing to the 4z, the hole in the upper mids was so apparent! Again since I only listen to them eqed it just sounded weird to me. The bass of the 5s sounded great and how it should sound on the reference material I’m used to.
They are way lighter and the ear fit is much better. In short: a more reference tuned LCD that’s more comfortable and ergonomic. Both them and CRBN sounded like I could work with them without having to learn them, as they both had a more or less similar reference tuning.

Side note: I told Sankar I thought the 4zs sounded better than mine and he said it was the new ear pads. I just got some for my 4z and wow do they sound better! The newly designed pads make the headphone sit closer to the ear, and they seem to seal better. So the 4z sound bigger and more slamming in bass and better in the upper mids. No brainer upgrade for any LCD owner. Would I trade them for a set of 5? Absolutely. But they are killer headphones.I mastered a record on them this week and the client loved it.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #570 of 6,780
I got to hear these when they were showcasing them in nyc. I own the 4z and master records with Various Audeze headphones (4z, lcdi4 and even the lcd1). I always eq my headphones! But the 5s sounded like they didn’t need eq, records with shouty 3k sounded shouty as they do on my mastering monitors. Comparing to the 4z, the hole in the upper mids was so apparent! Again since I only listen to them eqed it just sounded weird to me. The bass of the 5s sounded great and how it should sound on the reference material I’m used to.
They are way lighter and the ear fit is much better. In short: a more reference tuned LCD that’s more comfortable and ergonomic. Both them and CRBN sounded like I could work with them without having to learn them, as they both had a more or less similar reference tuning.

Side note: I told Sankar I thought the 4zs sounded better than mine and he said it was the new ear pads. I just got some for my 4z and wow do they sound better! The newly designed pads make the headphone sit closer to the ear, and they seem to seal better. So the 4z sound bigger and more slamming in bass and better in the upper mids. No brainer upgrade for any LCD owner. Would I trade them for a set of 5? Absolutely. But they are killer headphones.I mastered a record on them this week and the client loved it.
Thanks for the info. I have been trying to decide between the crbn and lcd 5. Could you recall differences between the crbn and lcd 5 in terms of how sound is presented since the lcd 5 is circular shaped and crbn is oval/oblong shaped?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back