Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Sep 22, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #541 of 6,785
wonder how many go to the Audeze site and see this... " No longer available. Please see the LCD-5 or LCD-4z. " and never come to head-fi to learn that the LCD-4 might not have been ended....

still waiting on someone with the LCD-5 to tell us how it sounds.....
Probably not a lot because this is niche summit fi. Only so many buyers out there.

Sep 22, 2021 at 10:40 PM Post #542 of 6,785
I love them straight out of my Chord DAVE, but they seem to kick up a tad in terms of dynamics when I put my Benchmark HPA4 into the mix. I haven't tried my HSA-1b as an amp for them yet. They aren't as power hungry as the LCD-4, so the DAVE is just brilliant with them.
That's not a bad DAC/AMP for them to come out of..

Just a lowly Gungnir Multbit and Mjolnir over here :)

Sep 22, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #543 of 6,785
That's not a bad DAC/AMP for them to come out of..

Just a lowly Gungnir Multbit and Mjolnir over here :)
I bet it would sound great still. You can always upgrade down the road. Its all part of the journey.

Sep 22, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #544 of 6,785
you seem to be a basshead which is fine but perhaps the 5 is an all around stud....perhaps not the bass of the 4 but still good bass with better detail and soundstage...that to me would be worth upgrade
Yeah, if it is equal to the resolution of the SR1as or Susvaras (or even Solitare P), it would be nice. If it’s not, what’s the point? At least for me, that’s not interesting. We shall see though. I look forward to more impressions from others.

I brought up weight earlier, with some saying that was the innovation with the LCD-5. But, I don’t agree. They already did that with the 4z.

For me, a good all around pair of headphones is not what I’m looking for, unless it’s better than my other all around headphones.

I kinda collect headphones for specific reasons, with the LCD-4s in my collection because of the amazing midrange. So, having a pair of LCD-5s, if their sole selling factor is balanced sound and soundstage, isn’t for me. If I only could have 1 pair of headphones, and I didn’t have the amps for the Susvaras, TCs, or SR1as, the LCD-5s might be perfect. Who knows? 🤷‍♂️

I was hoping for the LCD-5s to do something better than other headphones for me to buy them over others. Maybe they do something better than other headphones. I’m curious if that is the case, but if the innovation is weight and a balanced sound, they’re probably not for me. It’s all good though, I can use that money for the new Stax earphones (maybe) 🤷‍♂️

Sep 22, 2021 at 11:33 PM Post #546 of 6,785
Yeah, if it is equal to the resolution of the SR1as or Susvaras (or even Solitare P), it would be nice. If it’s not, what’s the point? At least for me, that’s not interesting. We shall see though. I look forward to more impressions from others.

I brought up weight earlier, with some saying that was the innovation with the LCD-5. But, I don’t agree. They already did that with the 4z.

For me, a good all around pair of headphones is not what I’m looking for, unless it’s better than my other all around headphones.

I kinda collect headphones for specific reasons, with the LCD-4s in my collection because of the amazing midrange. So, having a pair of LCD-5s, if their sole selling factor is balanced sound and soundstage, isn’t for me. If I only could have 1 pair of headphones, and I didn’t have the amps for the Susvaras, TCs, or SR1as, the LCD-5s might be perfect. Who knows? 🤷‍♂️

I was hoping for the LCD-5s to do something better than other headphones for me to buy them over others. Maybe they do something better than other headphones. I’m curious if that is the case, but if the innovation is weight and a balanced sound, they’re probably not for me. It’s all good though, I can use that money for the new Stax earphones (maybe) 🤷‍♂️
Assuming they don’t compete with the headphones you mentioned on technicalities, they still offer significant improvements for Audeze’s lineup and potential benefits in the areas of size, weight, comfort, style, portability. I’m just giving examples. I hear the sr1as are fantastic but I wouldn’t ever want to put those on my head. I loved the comfort of Meze but not the sound.
There is more to headphones than technical performance. If just looking at technical performance, maybe these aren’t for you. It’s okay to be okay with that.

Sep 22, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #547 of 6,785
Oh wow, I wasn't expecting that, I thought they were a good 7db less efficient than the LCD-4's, therefore harder to drive.
There is voltage sensitivity and there is power sensitivity, low voltage sensitivity combined with low power sensitivity is what would make a headphone super hard to drive. Low impedance headphones draw more current at a given voltage but, you have more voltage head room and you need not have to turn the volume knob too high.

LCD-5 is only 6dB less efficient in power (db/mW) than LCD-4 but, LCD-5 has 14x lower impedance than LCD-4 and LCD-5 is about 6dB more sensitive in terms of voltage. So your volume knob is almost always 6dB lower with LCD-5 compared to LCD-4, which makes a big difference in being able to direct drive them.

My typical listening level is 80 -85dB, and even if my amp had 1W of output, I still have 35 - 40dB of headroom and at 0.03 - 0.07v I have a lot of voltage headroom (i.e, my volume knob is still quite low)

Sep 22, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #548 of 6,785

macedonianhero who is a pretty solid guy has had them for a few days and absolutely loves them FWIIW

Sep 22, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #549 of 6,785
@Ciggavelli If only Audeze spent more time taking consideration of how this headphone would of uniquely fit in your collection, truly a miscalculation. I don't see the point in this product....

/j I say this in jest !:L3000::grin:

Sep 22, 2021 at 11:43 PM Post #550 of 6,785
@Ciggavelli If only Audeze spent more time taking consideration of how this headphone would of uniquely fit in your collection, truly a miscalculation. I don't see the point in this product....

/j I say this in jest !:L3000::grin:
:beyersmile:

I’m just being honest with why I’m feeling negative about the 5s. I had high hopes for a new bass king or an even better LCD-4 type sound. That doesn’t appear to be the case. But, I am still interested in hearing impressions. Maybe I’m completely wrong in my initial negativity.

Obviously not everybody collects headphones for specific reasons like me, so I can understand others not agreeing with me. Which is fine. Different strokes and what not.

Additionally I recently bought and sold two “all around balanced headphones” (Elites and Solitaire Ps) and I was disappointed and lost money. So, perhaps I’m a bit biased with my skepticism of a new balanced all around pair of headphones

Sep 22, 2021 at 11:50 PM Post #551 of 6,785

I’m just being honest with why I’m feeling negative about the 5s. I had high hopes for a new bass king or an even better LCD-4 type sound. That doesn’t appear to be the case. But, I am still interested in hearing impressions. Maybe I’m completely wrong in my initial negativity.

Obviously not everybody collects headphones for specific reasons like me, so I can understand others not agreeing with me. Which is fine. Different strokes and what not.

Additionally I recently bought and sold two “all around balanced headphones” (Elites and Solitaire Ps) and I was disappointed and lost money. So, perhaps I’m a bit biased with my skepticism of a new balanced all around pair of headphones

Based on the gear you have now, I don't think you will hear anything that different for the foreseeable future. You thirsty boii !:beerchug:

Sep 23, 2021 at 1:24 AM Post #552 of 6,785

I think the reality is your system is so up there along with your headphone collection that very few headphones are gonna offer you something new currently or excel in something which you don't own unless you go electostat which i see your doing :D

I'm also a massive bass head and want to see a headphone give the 1266TC a run for its money but I think the only headphone that's gonna do that is the 1266TC successor lol 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2021 at 1:49 AM Post #553 of 6,785
Me too. LCD-2, Rev 2, LCD-3, all failed. Classic was one that didn't. Previous LCD-2 also cracked at the connector.

Audeze has always provided excellent service, their products often need it which is the catch.

Clearly, these are all anecdotes. I have an EL-8 Open 2015, EL-8 Open 2016, Sine, another Sine briefly, EL-8 Closed, LCD-2F 2018, LCD-X 2020, LCD-2 Closed back, iSine 10, iSine 20, Penrose - and Mobius previously, and no issues with any of them… so far, at least 😅

I suspect if we had the full, real data, we would see that failure rate overall was higher in their first few years than than in the last few, but I know you’re right that no one produces all this data publicly.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2021 at 2:06 AM Post #554 of 6,785

As the referential TC bass snob is referred to as the TC effect.

Scouring these disappointing fields of improved technology is called the TC dilemma. :joy:

Sep 23, 2021 at 2:16 AM Post #555 of 6,785
As the referential TC bass snob is referred to as the TC effect.

Scouring these disappointing fields of improved technology is called the TC dilemma. :joy:
If only there were a TC with focus on bass and midrange instead of bass and treble...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back