Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Apr 17, 2022 at 9:51 PM Post #5,011 of 5,916

EMINENT

500+ Head-Fier
A couple things..

I have been testing some new gear and have some thoughts.. And, I should say this is just from my perspective of course, so ymmv.

Some gear may or may not be as much of a difference as I have read. As you all know, it is super important to find something that works with what you have and your philosophy, but with what I have tested, I have found that amps and dacs cannot give me what I am looking for in terms of adequate tone control. At least not with the gear I have tried and with the LCD5 so far. However, it does help with very minor nuances/coloring of sound but not at the level EQ can provide depending on the kind of music you are listening to.

Another thing, I cannot stop listening today. Maybe it's my mood, mindset, gear or settings, but the LCD5 is sounding so incredible that I can say I am completely loving what I am hearing. It's a shame that so many didn't take the time or effort to get the most out of them. Truly remarkable!

More later...

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 10:26 PM Post #5,012 of 5,916

TheFrator

100+ Head-Fier
A couple things..

I have been testing some new gear and have some thoughts.. And, I should say this is just from my perspective of course, so ymmv.

Some gear may or may not be as much of a difference as I have read. As you all know, it is super important to find something that works with what you have and your philosophy, but with what I have tested, I have found that amps and dacs cannot give me what I am looking for in terms of adequate tone control. At least not with the gear I have tried and with the LCD5 so far. However, it does help with very minor nuances/coloring of sound but not at the level EQ can provide depending on the kind of music you are listening to.

Another thing, I cannot stop listening today. Maybe it's my mood, mindset, gear or settings, but the LCD5 is sounding so incredible that I can say I am completely loving what I am hearing. It's a shame that so many didn't take the time or effort to get the most out of them. Truly remarkable!

More later...
What amp and dac have you settled on for the time being?

Apr 19, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #5,013 of 5,916

BowWazoo

1000+ Head-Fier
Amazing how well Vinyl recordings harmonize with the Lcd-5. I had not expected that...👌

Apr 19, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #5,015 of 5,916

tawmizzzz

1000+ Head-Fier
So LCD5 will remain and my Susvara is likely to go. That being said, a friend sent me a ZMF cable with XLR to test the balanced on Ferrum over the stock 6.3 cable I have, and there was a nice warmth, body and slight boom/bloom on the lower end versus the slightly more technical, brighter and leaner stock cable.

What are people's favorite cables for LCD5? Definitely want to stay with copper/musical leaning/dynamic as my chain is already pretty transparent to my ears (Ferrum + Spring 3) and I wouldn't mind a hint of color. Has anyone tried the DHC Complement C15? And if so, s-mod worth it? Any other options $1500 or less that won't sacrifice much technicalities?

Apr 19, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #5,016 of 5,916

shafat777

1000+ Head-Fier
So LCD5 will remain and my Susvara is likely to go. That being said, a friend sent me a ZMF cable with XLR to test the balanced on Ferrum over the stock 6.3 cable I have, and there was a nice warmth, body and slight boom/bloom on the lower end versus the slightly more technical, brighter and leaner stock cable.

What are people's favorite cables for LCD5? Definitely want to stay with copper/musical leaning/dynamic as my chain is already pretty transparent to my ears (Ferrum + Spring 3) and I wouldn't mind a hint of color. Has anyone tried the DHC Complement C15? And if so, s-mod worth it? Any other options $1500 or less that won't sacrifice much technicalities?
I am using a ZMF 2k copper xlr cable with my LCD5+ MJ2. This gives the best combination of mids with slight boost in the low end. However, i sometimes do switch to my Norne Silvergrade S4 when i use my GSX-mini. But overall, i do prefer the sound signature of copper cables over silver with my LCD5.

Apr 19, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #5,017 of 5,916

alishafai

100+ Head-Fier

I'm using Kimber AXIOS Hybrid in a balanced XLR configuration and I think it is wonderful over stock and Moon Audio's Silver Dragon [those are the only 2 I've tried].

Apr 19, 2022 at 8:59 PM Post #5,018 of 5,916

LogicSound

100+ Head-Fier
Any impressions about burn in?
how much hours it was take to open up the sound with the stock tuning? (especially with midrange and detail retrieval of the vocals)
that is pad-softening burn in or overnight with songs?

Thanks.

Apr 19, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #5,019 of 5,916

johnzz4

500+ Head-Fier
how much hours it was take to open up the sound with the stock tuning? (especially with midrange and detail retrieval of the vocals)
that is pad-softening burn in or overnight with songs?

Thanks.

I’d suggest giving it a week or about 200 hrs. The LCD5 will easily show differences between cables. The stock cable didn’t make it more than a day since it sounded veiled to me, but I didn’t give it enough time. The 200 hour recommendation comes from Jeff Wells of Wells Audio about wire/cables in general which I’ve found to be about right. I have eight different cables and the DHC Prion4 is the winner with the LCD5 in MY chain. Brain burn in is another factor as well.

Apr 19, 2022 at 9:42 PM Post #5,020 of 5,916

LogicSound

100+ Head-Fier
I’d suggest giving it a week or about 200 hrs. The LCD5 will easily show differences between cables. The stock cable didn’t make it more than a day since it sounded veiled to me, but I didn’t give it enough time. The 200 hour recommendation comes from Jeff Wells of Wells Audio about wire/cables in general which I’ve found to be about right. I have eight different cables and the DHC Prion4 is the winner with the LCD5 in MY chain. Brain burn in is another factor as well.
But I was talking about the LCD-5 as is, and not about cables.
Also, I have some pricey new USB cable and maybe he will needed some burn in.

Apr 19, 2022 at 10:28 PM Post #5,021 of 5,916

Ragnar-BY

500+ Head-Fier
It improved slightly after two weeks of regular listening. Bass goes a little bit deeper, highs are a little bit smoother. Also edges of the earpads flattened a bit and/or became slightly softer so it do not feel “sharp” anymore.

Nothing big, just small improvements here and there. LCD5 burn-in will not convince somebody, who did not like these cans from the start for some reason. However, these small changes together make listening sessions better and those, who liked the headphones would be pleased with the effect.

Apr 20, 2022 at 7:07 AM Post #5,022 of 5,916

johnzz4

500+ Head-Fier
But I was talking about the LCD-5 as is, and not about cables.
Also, I have some pricey new USB cable and maybe he will needed some burn in.
I get it, but the LCD5 as is includes the factory cable. Not sure how much of the burn in is diaphragm related, but I would go with the 200 hrs to cover you on all fronts. (Brain, diaphragm, and cable). In my experience, you’ll hear differences along the hours, but that’s where it settles and doesn’t change much anymore. That said, the changes are relatively minor and I had to switch out some cables for better synergy with the LCD5. Once dialed, they’re amazing phones. Just my opinion in case it’s helpful.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 7:08 AM Post #5,023 of 5,916

LogicSound

100+ Head-Fier
It improved slightly after two weeks of regular listening. Bass goes a little bit deeper, highs are a little bit smoother. Also edges of the earpads flattened a bit and/or became slightly softer so it do not feel “sharp” anymore.

Nothing big, just small improvements here and there. LCD5 burn-in will not convince somebody, who did not like these cans from the start for some reason. However, these small changes together make listening sessions better and those, who liked the headphones would be pleased with the effect.

Every people from here have some difference experience from this process.
You think that is will give a small improvement and the other will say that is big improvement...
Anyway I hope they will improve by a big margine in the upcoming days.

Apr 20, 2022 at 7:37 AM Post #5,024 of 5,916

Benno1988

1000+ Head-Fier
Every people from here have some difference experience from this process.
You think that is will give a small improvement and the other will say that is big improvement...
Anyway I hope they will improve by a big margine in the upcoming days.
My opinion is they are like all other Audeze, they need EQ. Again, for me. But once EQ'd to fix the tonal balance, they are quite something. Stock tuning, regardless of burn in time, no thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread