Audeze LCD-4z - Impressions Thread
Dec 18, 2019 at 5:47 AM Post #1,381 of 2,473
Guess I just got lucky with all my Audeze headphones. LCD2c, LCD3c, LCD-X, LCD4z, LCDi4. The pads finally started falling apart on the X, so I need to replace those. Drivers still good. 4z is perfect. Need to order more ear hooks for i4.

I would like to try Abyss PHI someday, but ordered a new carbon fiber poling skiff for salt water fly fishing so my GSX Mini amp will likely be the last piece of gear for quite some time. Which is fine, not exactly slumming...

Dec 18, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #1,382 of 2,473
Just bought lcd 4z ,can someone tell me hoe to differentiate 15ohm from 200ohm?

Nvm, figured it out.

Attachments

• 03030cc9-a2df-4bb1-8838-01f92cd45928.jpg
    03030cc9-a2df-4bb1-8838-01f92cd45928.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 18, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #1,383 of 2,473
They for the love of Zeus can not make a bullet proof driver like the mighty Sennhesier.

In fairness, Sennheiser doesn't make planar driver headphones (yet, they have filed a patent for future planar headphones though), and traditional voice coil drivers are probably a lot more reliable and proven.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #1,384 of 2,473
In fairness, Sennheiser doesn't make planar driver headphones (yet, they have filed a patent for planar headphones), and traditional voice coil drivers are probably a lot more reliable and proven.

I had to send back my lcd 4z after 2 weeks of ownership to have a the drivers replaced. I then had to send it back again as there was damage to the finish when I got them back. I did find them to be an enjoyable listen to it ended up selling them to finance speakers.

I now have the Abyss AB-1266 PHI TC. Which I find to be a superior headphone in pretty much every regard. I do prefer a more reference sound signature though. The lcd 4 series sounds veiled in comparison.

Dec 18, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #1,385 of 2,473
I had to send back my lcd 4z after 2 weeks of ownership to have a the drivers replaced. I then had to send it back again as there was damage to the finish when I got them back. I did find them to be an enjoyable listen to it ended up selling them to finance speakers.

I now have the Abyss AB-1266 PHI TC. Which I find to be a superior headphone in pretty much every regard.

Wow, your Audeze experience almost mirrors mine.

I've heard the Abyss headphones at a show and they sounded great, but can't get passed how heavy those are. Even the 4z's were a bit too heavy and lately I've determined that anything over about 500 grams in a headphone is simply too heavy for me.

Dec 18, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #1,386 of 2,473
Wow, your Audeze experience almost mirrors mine.

I've heard the Abyss headphones at a show and they sounded great, but can't get passed how heavy those are. Even the 4z's were a bit too heavy and lately I've determined that anything over about 500 grams in a headphone is simply too heavy for me.

I would suggest maybe checking our the Diana Phi or V2. They are both around 350grams. You do loose a bit of the magic of the full size abyss but they are at least 90-95% there.

Dec 18, 2019 at 1:09 PM Post #1,387 of 2,473
I now have the Abyss AB-1266 PHI TC. Which I find to be a superior headphone in pretty much every regard. I do prefer a more reference sound signature though. The lcd 4 series sounds veiled in comparison.

That has also been my experience, I 1st started out in Head-Fi with an Audeze LCD-X, loved it and have a lot of Audeze HP's, however the Abyss Phi TC is on a completely different level IMHO. The Kennerton Thror took me by total surprise for it too is a very good HP and well worth an extended listen.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #1,388 of 2,473
That has also been my experience, I 1st started out in Head-Fi with an Audeze LCD-X, loved it and have a lot of Audeze HP's, however the Abyss Phi TC is on a completely different level IMHO. The Kennerton Thror took me by total surprise for it too is a very good HP and well worth an extended listen.

I started with the lcd x too. I actually preferred the lcd 24 over the 4 and 4z. They seemed more balanced. Once I got the abyss I sold off the lcd x and kept the clears they seem more balanced to me. The clears are my around the house cans.

The noble Khan prompted me to sell my other iems too. I am really enjoying the and the abyss. They are both more of a reference sound signature imo.

Dec 18, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #1,389 of 2,473
I started with the lcd x too. I actually preferred the lcd 24 over the 4 and 4z. They seemed more balanced. Once I got the abyss I sold off the lcd x and kept the clears they seem more balanced to me. The clears are my around the house cans.

The noble Khan prompted me to sell my other iems too. I am really enjoying the and the abyss. They are both more of a reference sound signature imo.

Lol, that has been my findings as well, I prefer the LCD-24 over the 4 and 4Z. My top three Headphones are:

1. Abyss Phi TC
2. Kennerton Thror with special Stabilised Karelian Birch - Photo below

IMG_1667.jpeg

3. Hi-FiMan Susvara (sounds great, built like a toy)
4. LCD-24

Dec 18, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #1,390 of 2,473
Lol, that has been my findings as well, I prefer the LCD-24 over the 4 and 4Z. My top three Headphones are:

1. Abyss Phi TC
2. Kennerton Thror with special Stabilised Karelian Birch - Photo below

3. Hi-FiMan Susvara (sounds great, built like a toy)
4. LCD-24
Man that headphone looks like a dinosaur.

Dec 18, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #1,391 of 2,473
Audeze gets a bit sensitive when it comes to criticising their transducers or finding faults with them. Rattling noise with planar transducers are sort of normal, when you put the headphones on or take them off. I guess Audeze had too many unjustifiable complaints, so they try to blame it on the customer by default. Still, they did the driver change without much questioning which is cool.

Planars are riskier, innovative transducer even more so (isodynamic hybrid array). That's why Meze for expamle only gives 2 years non-transferable warranty on the Empyrean. They say it should work fine for 10 years at least, but they obviously haven't had the chance to test it.

Kennerton to me is still too heavy and I am not that fond of the Russian industrial look (shed-tuning design). They might sound quite good though, I don't know.

Audeze at least looks great. Even though they are heavy as fck.

I am impressed by the sound of HEKV2, but beyond that amazing spaciousness I need a more focused sound, something more tangible. A punchier more visceral bass. Not to mention that flimsy build quality.
I think noone does bass better than Audeze, but their headphones are bloody heavy and the mids/treble sound a bit flat and smothery compared to other TOTL planars like the Empyrean or HEKV2 or Susvara.
I have never had a chance to try DIY looking competitors like Kennerton or Phobos.

Dec 18, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #1,392 of 2,473
Audeze gets a bit sensitive when it comes to criticising their transducers or finding faults with them. Rattling noise with planar transducers are sort of normal, when you put the headphones on or take them off. I guess Audeze had too many unjustifiable complaints, so they try to blame it on the customer by default. Still, they did the driver change without much questioning which is cool.

Planars are riskier, innovative transducer even more so (isodynamic hybrid array). That's why Meze for expamle only gives 2 years non-transferable warranty on the Empyrean. They say it should work fine for 10 years at least, but they obviously haven't had the chance to test it.

Kennerton to me is still too heavy and I am not that fond of the Russian industrial look (shed-tuning design). They might sound quite good though, I don't know.

I am impressed by the sound of HEKV2, but beyond that amazing spaciousness I need a more focused sound, something more tangible. A punchier more visceral bass. Not to mention that flimsy build quality.
I think noone does bass better than Audeze, but their headphones are bloody heavy and the mids/treble sound a bit flat and smothery compared to other TOTL planars like the Empyrean or HEKV2 or Susvara.
I have never had a chance to try DIY looking competitors like Kennerton or Phobos.

Planars are not riskier. They’re actually cheaper to make now which is why so many new headphone models are using that tech. Not to mention how inexpensive the Verum’s are. Audeze’s driver failure issue was due to too much air pressure build up because their earpads sealed too tightly. The newer 4Z, for example, now has that inner spacer to allow air to circulate so it doesn’t create that vacuum effect anymore. So it was a design flaw on their part.

Dec 18, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #1,393 of 2,473
Planars are not riskier. They’re actually cheaper to make now which is why so many new headphone models are using that tech. Not to mention how inexpensive the Verum’s are. Audeze’s driver failure issue was due to too much air pressure build up because their earpads sealed too tightly. The newer 4Z, for example, now has that inner spacer to allow air to circulate so it doesn’t create that vacuum effect anymore. So it was a design flaw on their part.
I guess all these 'high-end' planar manufacturers play on an experimental field at the end of the day. They are trying to find the best sound for us. There will be inevitable mistakes on the journey. And some victories. I am glad Audeze is one of the fighters who doesn't give up.

Dec 18, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #1,394 of 2,473

Having owned a few audeze headphones I will say that the customer service was really good.

In regards to bass i would say that the Abyss AB-1266 TC does bass better than any audeze. In terms of speed, slam and resolution. They also easily surpass the lcd 4 and 4z in terms of resolution and sound stage. The abyss are the most speaker like headphone I have experienced. I don't count the raal as a headphone imo it is a true earspeaker.

Dec 18, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #1,395 of 2,473
Having owned a few audeze headphones I will say that the customer service was really good.

In regards to bass i would say that the Abyss AB-1266 TC does bass better than any audeze. In terms of speed, slam and resolution. They also easily surpass the lcd 4 and 4z in terms of resolution and sound stage. The abyss are the most speaker like headphone I have experienced. I don't count the raal as a headphone imo it is a true earspeaker.
The Abyss TC costs more than twice as my Empyrean. I don't doubt it has better resolution and bass control, but that price... Not for me right now unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back