Audeze LCD-4z - Impressions Thread
Sep 1, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #1,201 of 2,476
Just a quick question, if the LCD-4z sounds every bit the same as LCD-4, but lighter and more efficient, and they both costs the same, why would anyone choose LCD-4 over the newer LCD-4z?
Reason for keeping the same price for two so different models as LCD-4 and LCD-4z is just to show that these are two variations of the same transducer.

Same transducer will sound differently if it is mounted in wooden ring or magnesium housing. Even different types of wood are influencing sound sufficiently enough to prefer one type of wood over the other. Impedance is directly connected with number of loops (geometry) and has influence on sound as well either directly or through so called "synergy" with any given amplifier. Generally speaking, wood is making sound fuller and more natural while metal housing makes sound brighter.

When LCD-4z was introduced it was possible to choose between wooden ring or magnesium housing and I believe, if you call our sales department and ask nicely, that it would be still available as an option.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Sep 2, 2019 at 12:00 AM Post #1,202 of 2,476
Wow! I would love to have a 4z version in wood rings. As good as the metal rings version sounds, I just can't help but wonder if the ghost of LCD3 pf does not lurk deep within the wood cup 4z...

Definitely food for thought.

Sep 2, 2019 at 1:41 AM Post #1,203 of 2,476
Additionally, in general, less sensitive phones will provide a greater signal to noise ratio since your noise floor will be further from the signal level.

That makes sense, and thank you for that link will check it out later :wink:

Thank you all very much for your replies, insight definitely gained :blush::o2smile:

Sep 2, 2019 at 3:27 AM Post #1,204 of 2,476
Wow! I would love to have a 4z version in wood rings. As good as the metal rings version sounds, I just can't help but wonder if the ghost of LCD3 pf does not lurk deep within the wood cup 4z...

Definitely food for thought.
One just sold here recently.

Sep 2, 2019 at 7:05 PM Post #1,205 of 2,476
Reason for keeping the same price for two so different models as LCD-4 and LCD-4z is just to show that these are two variations of the same transducer.

Same transducer will sound differently if it is mounted in wooden ring or magnesium housing. Even different types of wood are influencing sound sufficiently enough to prefer one type of wood over the other. Impedance is directly connected with number of loops (geometry) and has influence on sound as well either directly or through so called "synergy" with any given amplifier. Generally speaking, wood is making sound fuller and more natural while metal housing makes sound brighter.

When LCD-4z was introduced it was possible to choose between wooden ring or magnesium housing and I believe, if you call our sales department and ask nicely, that it would be still available as an option.

Regarding the LCD-24, do you guys at Audeze have representative frequency graphs you could share so we could get an idea of how the sound signature differs from the 4z? I'm very tempted to pull the trigger on these as a happy Audeze customer from the past but without reviews I would need some additional info to get me a little better idea of what I was getting into.

Sep 2, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #1,206 of 2,476
Just purchased a 4z. Unfortunately, the dealer is in Miami Florida. Hope the hurricane loses steam less importantly for a non delayed shipment but MOST IMPORTANTLY for the Floridians. Will write up a humble non-professional review when I get them in and burn them in for a little bit.

On a side note, I love my he 1000se. Everything I wanted in a Hifiman Planar house sound. My only gripe, and it’s huge for me, is the hand polishing job on the metal outer housing. Seriously, do they polish this in low light????? For a $3500 HP, I’m pretty F’n disgusted with QC. Not to rant but i’m also a little angry with the “just purchased straight from Audeze’s shop in OC” LCD-X’s Yokes. Poor finishing on the stamping. It’s painted well, but very rough edges.

I guess at the end of the day, I’m very Happy with the sound, but paying this much, I’d expect better from both manufacturers.....

Sep 2, 2019 at 11:02 PM Post #1,207 of 2,476
Regarding the LCD-24, do you guys at Audeze have representative frequency graphs you could share so we could get an idea of how the sound signature differs from the 4z? I'm very tempted to pull the trigger on these as a happy Audeze customer from the past but without reviews I would need some additional info to get me a little better idea of what I was getting into.

I am astounded by the lack of info on the $3,500 LCD 24. No write up, no press, not even on their website. One review and and few short impressions. Is this a launch or do they want a few guinea pigs to buy this and post impressions? I am thinking about getting this but that is a lot of money buying an HP almost blind. Not quite sure what Audeze is doing with these headphones but it doesn't look good.

Sep 7, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #1,209 of 2,476
Never have I ever read such total complete bull. I have personally listened to my 4z for thousands of hours and they sound even better now than the very first time I listened to them. Audeze should sue those bastards for libel.

In no way was this a valid review ala Tyll Hertsens et al. I dont even know how this idiot could report such crap as that. Having spent my own money to acquire these headphones I can personally refute this utter complete bull. Not Audeze fanboi either BTW.

Sep 7, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #1,210 of 2,476
Never have I ever read such total complete bull****. I have personally listened to my 4z for thousands of hours and they sound even better now than the very first time I listened to them. Audeze should sue those bastards for libel.

In no way was this a valid review ala Tyll Hertsens et al. I dont even know how this idiot could report such crap as that. Having spent my own money to acquire these headphones I can personally refute this utter complete bull****. Not Audeze fanboi either BTW.

Ditto... if you look at my sig, I have an appreciation for different kinds of gear. I love estat treble, used to own the hd800S, and now have a Utopia and 4z... The superlatives in the “review” is quite misleading. Not exactly the type of content they should sanction if they want to be taken seriously.

Sep 7, 2019 at 8:32 PM Post #1,211 of 2,476
Audeze should take a tough stand on this reviewer

Sep 7, 2019 at 9:15 PM Post #1,213 of 2,476
Sep 8, 2019 at 1:43 AM Post #1,214 of 2,476
Yeah that review is utter BS with someone with an axe to grind. I don't even own a 4z but can recognize it's a world class headphone, even if I have a few issues with it's sound signature. A good or even great reviewer would just say 'It's somewhat accurate to the source but I do not like it's sound signature or tonal balance.' Everyone has an opinion yes, but that doesn't make them a good reviewer or someone that should be trusted for any type of headphone or even sound advice.

Sep 8, 2019 at 6:39 AM Post #1,215 of 2,476
Yeah that review is utter BS with someone with an axe to grind. I don't even own a 4z but can recognize it's a world class headphone, even if I have a few issues with it's sound signature. A good or even great reviewer would just say 'It's somewhat accurate to the source but I do not like it's sound signature or tonal balance.' Everyone has an opinion yes, but that doesn't make them a good reviewer or someone that should be trusted for any type of headphone or even sound advice.

Not to mention the brand affinity... instantly reco’d 3 HFM cans all with different sound signatures. Not an Audeze fan boy myself as I’ve owned multiple brands but this dude obviously gets off on Dr. Fang “becoz it sound good”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back