Audeze LCD-4z - Impressions Thread
Aug 6, 2019 at 8:55 AM Post #1,066 of 2,476
Is there a way to utilize EQ for all source files whether you tube, redbook CD recorded files, basically all audio sources? I would like to try to EQ back in the 1k dip to see if it makes a large difference in SQ.

Repeatedly read about this and wondering if it really improves SQ so much. If it does, why would Audeze tune all the headphones to do that?

1k dip? Lol, there is a 3-4k~ dip but 1k is definitely not something i would bump up on audezes, theres plenty energy in that region. Rather lower by a db or 2.

It probably also depends on specific model etc. By how much and where you need to EQ. I raise the FR by about 3db around 3.5khz on my 4z to compensate the uppermids recession...

Aug 12, 2019 at 4:13 AM Post #1,067 of 2,476
just did some A/B with LCD 4Z (silver cable) and Z1R (copper cable) on the Kann Cube . both balanced
interesting

there is some music that the LCD4Z outperforms the Z1R on... Pentatonix type vocals...

BUT

although the soundstage is larger on the 4Z... vocals seem to get lost in more complicated mixes... something seems to be missing.

the soundstage on thr Z1R is great but you get a more intimate soundstage... which overall seems to sound better... vocals more forward.

with 4Z found I was turning up the vol to bring out vocals but the accompanying music too loud.

the Z1R seems to be a much better generalist on the Cube and the best I have ever heard them.

Comparing now with MQA.

LCD4Z CLEARLY wins on MQA...

very interesting... lower quality recordings fall apart with expanded soundstage.

most redbook unless exceptionally recorded will sound better on Z1R with smaller soundstage.

MQA and above 4Z SHine.

goddammit... need to drop 3k for this.

so without exception Z1R sounds better on cube for redbook in 90% of cases.

MQA and above 4Z wins and is stellar substantially better than Z1R.... really interesting how it looses its mojo with most under MQA.

literally if you have a 4k tv you need 4K content... this is 4Z.

we need computational DACs. way ahead on photos here... i see a new era of dacs that will literally usher in a new era of music will most likely take 5+ years as demand is not there like photos in smartphones. NONE of the current DAC makers have the engineering talent to currently do this.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2019 at 10:30 PM Post #1,068 of 2,476
Is anyone aware of an update where the mesh color changed (more copper than yellow gold) and it looks less finely woven? This unit looks different from the other photos I've seen. Also wondering if a less fine weave would change the soundstage.

4z.JPG

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2019 at 12:41 AM Post #1,069 of 2,476
Is anyone aware of an update where the mesh color changed (more copper than yellow gold) and it looks less finely woven? This unit looks different from the other photos I've seen. Also wondering if a less fine weave would change the soundstage.

That looks like Dr Z's custom set.

Aug 13, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #1,071 of 2,476
I wonder how the sound profile may have changed. I haven't listened to the original 4z to compare but this one sounds much more open (+ leaking more sound in) than the X and MX4 with the fine mesh. The upper range is recessed more than I was expecting based on others' impressions.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #1,072 of 2,476
just did some A/B with LCD 4Z (silver cable) and Z1R (copper cable) on the Kann Cube . both balanced
interesting

there is some music that the LCD4Z outperforms the Z1R on... Pentatonix type vocals...

BUT

although the soundstage is larger on the 4Z... vocals seem to get lost in more complicated mixes... something seems to be missing.

the soundstage on thr Z1R is great but you get a more intimate soundstage... which overall seems to sound better... vocals more forward.

with 4Z found I was turning up the vol to bring out vocals but the accompanying music too loud.

the Z1R seems to be a much better generalist on the Cube and the best I have ever heard them.

Comparing now with MQA.

LCD4Z CLEARLY wins on MQA...

very interesting... lower quality recordings fall apart with expanded soundstage.

most redbook unless exceptionally recorded will sound better on Z1R with smaller soundstage.

MQA and above 4Z SHine.

goddammit... need to drop 3k for this.

so without exception Z1R sounds better on cube for redbook in 90% of cases.

MQA and above 4Z wins and is stellar substantially better than Z1R.... really interesting how it looses its mojo with most under MQA.

literally if you have a 4k tv you need 4K content... this is 4Z.

we need computational DACs. way ahead on photos here... i see a new era of dacs that will literally usher in a new era of music will most likely take 5+ years as demand is not there like photos in smartphones. NONE of the current DAC makers have the engineering talent to currently do this.

If you have a chance I highly recommend you try the Diana Phi and the AB-1266 Phi TC. I owned the lcd 4z for a while and sold it. I did regret it almost immediately then I auditioned the Diana Phi. It was so much lighter and more resolving. The sound stage was much improved as well. I tried the 1266 TC and then knee that if I bought the diana I would only want to upgrade soon so i decided to just pick up the TC. It is head and shoulders above the LCD4Z are any other headphone I have experienced. It is so fast and resolving with great bass as well. The sound stage is incredible it is speaker like.in presentation.

I am now chasing this level of performance with my speaker setup. I had the dynaudio c1 platinums and thought that they would be my end game. I am now waiting for this Saturday when I take delivery of my new Magico s1 mk2 speakers. I am hoping these will be my endgame for a while maybe just adding subs down the road. O really like the s3 mk2 but they are $30k. That is a bit out of my range currently.

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:35 PM Post #1,073 of 2,476
The diana phi does sound great with more detail and more even response than the 4z. Having had the diana phi for an extended period as well as the 4z I can say that they sound different the 4z is a warmer headphone.

In regards to the 1266 vs the diana phi. I went up from the diana phi to the 1266 phi tc. The tc is a better headphone by a good margin. The sound stage is much more expansive and almost speaker like. The imaging is much more precise as well. The 1266 tc is a faster headphone on or above the level of the stax sr009s. The 1266 tc also has deeper and more visceral bass with a better midrange presentation than the diana phi. I borrowed a pair yesterday thinking that I might be able to live with them instead of the 1266 but the difference is to big. There is no way to unheard the difference between the two.

The 1266 is also more comfortable for me once the fit is dialed in. They also are great for me and others that wear glasses. Just make sure they don't seal completely on your head.

Thanks thats very useful.

Aug 13, 2019 at 11:31 PM Post #1,075 of 2,476
If you have a chance I highly recommend you try the Diana Phi and the AB-1266 Phi TC. I owned the lcd 4z for a while and sold it. I did regret it almost immediately then I auditioned the Diana Phi. It was so much lighter and more resolving. The sound stage was much improved as well. I tried the 1266 TC and then knee that if I bought the diana I would only want to upgrade soon so i decided to just pick up the TC. It is head and shoulders above the LCD4Z are any other headphone I have experienced. It is so fast and resolving with great bass as well. The sound stage is incredible it is speaker like.in presentation.

I am now chasing this level of performance with my speaker setup. I had the dynaudio c1 platinums and thought that they would be my end game. I am now waiting for this Saturday when I take delivery of my new Magico s1 mk2 speakers. I am hoping these will be my endgame for a while maybe just adding subs down the road. O really like the s3 mk2 but they are $30k. That is a bit out of my range currently.

Were the Phi that much better than the 4Z?

16K for magico.

Based on my research.. Genelec 8341 + 2 Genelec 7360A subs will entirely annihilate the system you are getting. this system will run about 12k and save you 4k.

with the above you are IN the music... cosmic. probably outperforms systems 10x.

Aug 13, 2019 at 11:37 PM Post #1,076 of 2,476
The Phi is definitely not better than the 4z, not sure what people are smoking. Phi's are more trebly and fatiguing and surprisingly a bit more uncomfortable in the way they fit my head (at least for myself).

Aug 14, 2019 at 12:51 AM Post #1,077 of 2,476
The Phi is definitely not better than the 4z, not sure what people are smoking. Phi's are more trebly and fatiguing and surprisingly a bit more uncomfortable in the way they fit my head (at least for myself).
I also found the Diana Phi bright and fatiguing. No way compares to the 4z. The 1266 is the only Abyss that can compare to the 4z.

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:15 AM Post #1,078 of 2,476
They also list the weight finally too.

Ha, must of been me ranting at them for this weight division chart to be implement on their website! I wont take credit but i will.

The biggest disgrace for Audeze was not having a weight spec chart.

Aug 14, 2019 at 3:29 AM Post #1,079 of 2,476
Ha, must of been me ranting at them for this weight division chart to be implement on their website! I wont take credit but i will.

The biggest disgrace for Audeze was not having a weight spec chart.

No, I would say the biggest disgrace for Audeze is not that they failed to list the weight, but do something about that weight and come out with lighter models throughout their line.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2019 at 3:50 AM Post #1,080 of 2,476
Totally agree.This exactly mirrors my findings. I tried the Diana and it’s big brother at the recent London CanJam. They were bloody awful IMHO Btw they were in a separate room before anyone chimes in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back