Audeze LCD-4z - Impressions Thread
Jan 17, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #1,411 of 2,476
How would you compare the LCD-4's detail retrieval vs the LCD-4z? Someone just told me it's much better than the latter but I find it hard to believe.

Theyre quite similar.. i have both and the 4 might edge it out a tiiiiiny bit.. but nothing i could really nail down.. the 4 does sound abit more dynamic in terms of range to my ears and my pairs have a slightly bit different tuning overall with the 4z being a tad darker. (But then i heard a 4 that was darker than my 4z so...tuning is abit case by case with audeze)

I love both to bits and couldnt ever decide which one to keep..

Jan 17, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #1,412 of 2,476
Theyre quite similar.. i have both and the 4 might edge it out a tiiiiiny bit.. but nothing i could really nail down.. the 4 does sound abit more dynamic in terms of range to my ears and my pairs have a slightly bit different tuning overall with the 4z being a tad darker. (But then i heard a 4 that was darker than my 4z so...tuning is abit case by case with audeze)

I love both to bits and couldnt ever decide which one to keep..

That's what I thought. It would be an easy decision for me as I much prefer the modern/retro style of the LCD-4z!

Jan 17, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #1,413 of 2,476
That's what I thought. It would be an easy decision for me as I much prefer the modern/retro style of the LCD-4z!
I have never heard the LCD4z but I think they look fantastic. One of those headphones that's worth owning for the look only. :) I also absolutely love the look of the HD598 although I have never heard them. (Used to own the HD600 and 650.)
I did audition the LCD4 and liked them a lot but couldn't live with that 735 grams. The 610g of the 4z seems slightly more manageable. Still I prefer my headphones to be around or under 500g, so I am running the Empyreans for now at 430g.

Jan 17, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #1,414 of 2,476
IMHO the 4z is one of those timeless pieces that must be kept. With my current amp and dac, they are just superlative. The Dekoni earpads just flat make these luxurious. I love everything about them. I would like to pick up (someday) some HD800 just to have as a contrast for the expansive soundstage and detail. But if that never happens, I am perfectly fine right where I am. No worries.

Jan 17, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #1,415 of 2,476
How would you compare the LCD-4's detail retrieval vs the LCD-4z? Someone just told me it's much better than the latter but I find it hard to believe.

I think I prefer the LCD-4z's detail retrieval and tonal balance overall (but they are still fairly close in this regard), but the LCD-4 has a slightly better soundstage...both are excellent! Tonight I'm using the LCD-4z with Beck's new album with my Chord DAVE and I am floored with what I am hearing! Just brilliant!

Jan 18, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #1,416 of 2,476
Sounds like quite a pairing. How would you compare the Hugo 2 with the DAVE? I am quite happy with H2 and GSX Mini amp, but one has a wondering mind yes? =)

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #1,417 of 2,476
IMHO the 4z is one of those timeless pieces that must be kept. With my current amp and dac, they are just superlative. The Dekoni earpads just flat make these luxurious. I love everything about them. I would like to pick up (someday) some HD800 just to have as a contrast for the expansive soundstage and detail. But if that never happens, I am perfectly fine right where I am. No worries.

I'd love to try some Dekoni pads sometime, how are you supposed to install them though as it is my understanding that the LCD-4 and LCD-4z have a special felt piece that only Audeze can replace without voiding the warranty?

Jan 18, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #1,418 of 2,476
I replaced the factory pads before I heard that would void the warranty. Then it was too late. However I have put many hundreds of hours of listening time on them and still working awesome. So I am not going to worry about it.

Now on the swap: it was a PITA. It made a gummy mess peeling stock pads off the adhesive. And installing the new pads I had some issues trying to keep them stuck onto the felt but now that they have been in use extensively they are staying put. If I had known all the above I dont think I would have done it. The Dekoni pads are really plush, but done at a huge cost if I ever have driver problems.

Jan 18, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #1,419 of 2,476
Sounds like quite a pairing. How would you compare the Hugo 2 with the DAVE? I am quite happy with H2 and GSX Mini amp, but one has a wondering mind yes? =)

I own (and love) the Hugo 2 as well, but the DAVE is on a whole new level of existence. The detail retrieval, sound staging, transparency and dynamics are simply amazing...but the LCD-4z / Hugo2 still sound brilliant together!

Jan 18, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #1,420 of 2,476
I own (and love) the Hugo 2 as well, but the DAVE is on a whole new level of existence. The detail retrieval, sound staging, transparency and dynamics are simply amazing...but the LCD-4z / Hugo2 still sound brilliant together!
Have you auditioned the TT2? Where would you place it between the Hugo2 and Dave?
Most opinions I have heard say TT2 is high above Hugo 2, but between Dave and Hugo 2 the choice doesn't seem to be that obvious.

Jan 18, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #1,421 of 2,476
Have you auditioned the TT2? Where would you place it between the Hugo2 and Dave?
Most opinions I have heard say TT2 is high above Hugo 2, but between Dave and Hugo 2 the choice doesn't seem to be that obvious.

The TT2 imo opinion is a bit more "musical' than the Dave. I portrays music with a bit more weight to it. The stage is not as open as the Dave and the imaging is not as precise. The TT2 is a great dac and if you need the power to drive headphones it has plenty. If you are in the market for either the Dave or TT2 I would suggest that you audition both. If you are shopping in the Dave range though there are lots of great dacs.

I would also suggest looking at the dCS Bartok as well. I sold my TT2 and was looking at the Dave but preferred the Bartok.

Jan 19, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #1,422 of 2,476

I have and I was a big fan of the TT2. I would rank them as follows: TT < Hugo2 < TT2 <<< Dave.

Feb 10, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #1,423 of 2,476
Has anyone else experienced such oxidation on their cables?

I've contacted Audeze to see if this could be replaced under warranty. Shame this happened after only about 4 months of light use!

20200210_164115.jpg

Feb 10, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #1,424 of 2,476
Has anyone else experienced such oxidation on their cables?

I've contacted Audeze to see if this could be replaced under warranty. Shame this happened after only about 4 months of light use!

20200210_164115.jpg

Cu + O2 will do that. It's not a defect and should be of no real concern. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back