Audeze LCD-4z - Impressions Thread
Oct 1, 2019 at 5:52 AM Post #1,291 of 2,476
we have either heard or owned most of all the TOTL HP's and then some!

Im pretty sure im in the 0.001% clan who heard them all. I can go toe toe with 1000 headfiers in comparison. :p

@mightyKyn i like wallmart :frowning2: its next to Popeye for me :) i hope you dont have beef with them.

Overall, the emp vs 4Z came down to me, Balance vs meaty. The Emp was a balance version of a 4Z while the 4Z was meaty and thick sounding. Pretty straight forward too me

Oct 1, 2019 at 6:17 AM Post #1,292 of 2,476
Great to hear your impressions. Especially from someone that is using them to listen to tracks created/mixed by themselves. My ONLY issue with my LCD-4z is that I would prefer the top end to be ever so slightly more “airy” for lack of a better term, although this is a very tiny niggle and it looks like the upgrade to nordost cable has even done something to improve on this aspect. Overall extremely happy with them

My experience with the Norne S3 in balanced mode with the new GSX Mini is nothing short of astounding. To the point that it seems like it will take a LOT more money into some h-phones (like Abyss Phi TC for example) to best this setup substantially and honestly, for me, I just don't see the tangible benefits at this time from plowing several thousand more into headphones. The 4z sound so darn good with Hugo 2, Norne S3, and GSX Mini, that I am effectively for all intents and purposes at this time, at end-game here. Is there better? Undoubtedly. There always is and always will be. Another nice thing about my pair is the Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads I put on them. They are substantially more comfy than the stock pads, so even less motivation to spend really big money to get maybe 2% better performance? The law of diminishing returns definitely does apply in this game. I am hearing details presented in definably better technical rendering that I have not heard before. In other words, the system is GOOD ENOUGH. The 4z have once again scaled to the equipment upstream and I am happy.

I do still enjoy reading about guys who do go the extra mile and plow like $50k into their headphone systems... I guess they do earn the right to be headphone snobs and look down on us wannabe audiophiles. Fair enough...

Oct 1, 2019 at 6:38 AM Post #1,293 of 2,476
@tjwb84 is that the 4Z ?

Why dose it look so much different than my pair? Can you take a picture like how I did?

backread a bit and you'll see they changed the grills a couple months ago. The pairs with larger holes and a more orange than yellow gold were released later.

Oct 1, 2019 at 6:45 AM Post #1,294 of 2,476
My experience with the Norne S3 in balanced mode with the new GSX Mini is nothing short of astounding. To the point that it seems like it will take a LOT more money into some h-phones (like Abyss Phi TC for example) to best this setup substantially and honestly, for me, I just don't see the tangible benefits at this time from plowing several thousand more into headphones. The 4z sound so darn good with Hugo 2, Norne S3, and GSX Mini, that I am effectively for all intents and purposes at this time, at end-game here. Is there better? Undoubtedly. There always is and always will be. Another nice thing about my pair is the Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads I put on them. They are substantially more comfy than the stock pads, so even less motivation to spend really big money to get maybe 2% better performance? The law of diminishing returns definitely does apply in this game. I am hearing details presented in definably better technical rendering that I have not heard before. In other words, the system is GOOD ENOUGH. The 4z have once again scaled to the equipment upstream and I am happy.

I do still enjoy reading about guys who do go the extra mile and plow like $50k into their headphone systems... I guess they do earn the right to be headphone snobs and look down on us wannabe audiophiles. Fair enough...
And some other people would say you can have a good enough system from 1-2K and would call us who spend 5K-10K audio snobs. It is a relative world.

Oct 1, 2019 at 6:56 AM Post #1,295 of 2,476
^^^Yes sir you are correct. I do not feel like an audio snob, but for example was visiting with a guy at work and discussing headphones after I sent him a link for a Blackberry Smoke song (Tom Petty cover) and he was incredulous that someone could possibly even think of spending $10k on a headphone system. But with the prices on good gear nowadays, it seems like $10k is almost entry level for a good robust setup to listen to, so I don't really feel like a h-phone snob at all.

Oct 1, 2019 at 7:09 AM Post #1,297 of 2,476

Absolutely agree with you. I am perfectly happy running the 4z from an iPhone with Onkyo HF Player through a Hugo 2 using the Nordost heimdall cable. For me this is sonic Valhalla (no pun intended).

I know there is better and I know some people do spend upwards of 50k on an HP system and kudos to them (whether they truly appreciate it or whether they do it to ostent) but for me this is more than enough.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #1,298 of 2,476
@tjwb84 is that the 4Z ?

Why dose it look so much different than my pair? Can you take a picture like how I did?

As others have indicated, yes it's the LCD-4z, and the new mesh is a cosmetic change! FYI, all serial numbers after MG430505 have the new mesh.

Interesting comments from you guys re: the cables. I am looking forward to experimenting with those.

Oct 1, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #1,299 of 2,476
As others have indicated, yes it's the LCD-4z, and the new mesh is a cosmetic change! FYI, all serial numbers after MG430505 have the new mesh.

Interesting comments from you guys re: the cables. I am looking forward to experimenting with those.
I have run in the nordost for less than 10 hours so far (against a recommendation of minimum 100 hours) but the difference is very apparent from the start (to my ears at least).

Regardless I also think the standard cables supplied (black and white interweaved) are not bad at all

Oct 1, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #1,300 of 2,476

Great to know that the mini helped to improve the sound of the 4z. I am also putting the 4z back in the running along with the mini or maybe ICan Pro. Was hoping the LCD 24 would be an improvement, but they seemed to have somewhat killed the bass impact from the 4/4z so much so that many are mentioning it in a negative light. For me the best quality of the 4z is that low end impact and thickness. My thought would be leave that alone, just even out the tonal balance and we would be golden.

Oct 1, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #1,301 of 2,476
A few more thoughts after more listening, producing, and comparing the 4z to my monitors. I know I’m talking a lot about production here, so I appreciate your patience with my ramble. Perhaps I should post this in a production forum.

Speakers have an undeniable advantage in terms of 3D/‘holographic’ sound that you can almost reach out and touch. My monitors still sound very nice, and in some ways, they sound even more pleasant than my headphones. They’re the reason why no pair of headphones priced under $3500 sounded acceptable to me. But as I said before, they are all over the place in terms of bass response (in my small room), and the sound also suffers from ‘booming’ bass reverberation and other issues. I find that it sounds very pleasing, but that it is nowhere near as revealing and accurate as the 4z.

So far, that’s what I predicted (hoped for). But beyond that, the 4z’s ability to pick up the most minute distortion was a revelation. I’m not talking about obvious, clipping, or grumbling distortion, but extremely subtle distortion that occurs when layering too many sounds of similar frequencies, slightly reducing the fidelity of the mix. If any sound distorts even a tiny bit, the 4z will tell me - and when I then fix these small sources of distortion, the resulting mixdown sounds better even on ‘affordable’ systems (such as my AirPods).

As a small example: I was using the highest oversampling setting (32x) on my limiter for my final exports. Using the 4z, I noticed that oversampling settings higher than 8x produce a very slight ‘ringing’ distortion on the sub of any big, boomy dance kick! I can now notice it on my other systems too, and have adjusted my settings accordingly. But I never heard it before, and the 4z just made it blindingly obvious, impossible to miss.

Listening to music from different producers with the 4z, it becomes apparent that few dance producers have access to a full-range system that can reproduce the deepest bass tones (<30 Hz) accurately. Most tracks simply don’t go that deep, and sound slightly band-limited on the 4z. That’s not to say they sound bad, but certain producers, like Deadmau5 (and certainly the top pop producers), use the full spectrum, which adds a glorious extra sheen of bassiness and professionalism, which again, can be heard even on lesser systems (it’s just not as obvious as with the 4z).

It’s interesting how people generally call the 4z dark, but some people find them too bright.
I agree that other pairs of headphones (such as the HD800S) definitely have a more ‘airy’ signature in the treble, and a wider soundstage. I also agree that it would be very pleasant to have the mids/bass of the 4z with such an ‘open’ and ‘airy’ top end. But, crucially, I do not find the 4z ‘dark’ in the sense that treble is subdued or missing. I can still tell exactly how much treble exists in tracks. I was worried that the 4z would be too “hifi” sounding and insufficiently neutral, but it functions so much better as a reference than my monitors do, that these worries have evaporated.

BTW, I’m wondering why most of you guys searching for the perfect cans seem not to be interested in EQ to modify the sound signature. Here is a quote from the RME ADI-2 Pro FS user manual that I found interesting:

“While no equalization as well as listening only straight linear has been a mantra for many years, research has proven that no ears are identical, and that especially in near-field listening (with phones) the biological differences alone make individual equalization mandatory. No two pairs of ears hear the same thing, that’s a fact. Additionally personal taste makes people like different sound signatures, which can easily be copied or made more similar (equalized…) on different headphones using a good EQ. The advantages of using an EQ outweigh any alleged disadvantages - which so often turn out to be wrong at closer inspection.”

I can’t comment from first-hand experience on how accurate this is, but I generally trust these guys to know what they’re talking about.
I would use Audeze’s Reveal plug-in, but I can’t think of a way to have it affect only my headphone output (not the monitors). So, when I receive the ADI-2 Pro FS, I intend to experiment with its per-output EQ possibilities.

Oct 1, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #1,302 of 2,476
A few more thoughts after more listening, producing, and comparing the 4z to my monitors. I know I’m talking a lot about production here, so I appreciate your patience with my ramble. Perhaps I should post this in a production forum.

Speakers have an undeniable advantage in terms of 3D/‘holographic’ sound that you can almost reach out and touch. My monitors still sound very nice, and in some ways, they sound even more pleasant than my headphones. They’re the reason why no pair of headphones priced under $3500 sounded acceptable to me. But as I said before, they are all over the place in terms of bass response (in my small room), and the sound also suffers from ‘booming’ bass reverberation and other issues. I find that it sounds very pleasing, but that it is nowhere near as revealing and accurate as the 4z.

So far, that’s what I predicted (hoped for). But beyond that, the 4z’s ability to pick up the most minute distortion was a revelation. I’m not talking about obvious, clipping, or grumbling distortion, but extremely subtle distortion that occurs when layering too many sounds of similar frequencies, slightly reducing the fidelity of the mix. If any sound distorts even a tiny bit, the 4z will tell me - and when I then fix these small sources of distortion, the resulting mixdown sounds better even on ‘affordable’ systems (such as my AirPods).

As a small example: I was using the highest oversampling setting (32x) on my limiter for my final exports. Using the 4z, I noticed that oversampling settings higher than 8x produce a very slight ‘ringing’ distortion on the sub of any big, boomy dance kick! I can now notice it on my other systems too, and have adjusted my settings accordingly. But I never heard it before, and the 4z just made it blindingly obvious, impossible to miss.

Listening to music from different producers with the 4z, it becomes apparent that few dance producers have access to a full-range system that can reproduce the deepest bass tones (<30 Hz) accurately. Most tracks simply don’t go that deep, and sound slightly band-limited on the 4z. That’s not to say they sound bad, but certain producers, like Deadmau5 (and certainly the top pop producers), use the full spectrum, which adds a glorious extra sheen of bassiness and professionalism, which again, can be heard even on lesser systems (it’s just not as obvious as with the 4z).

It’s interesting how people generally call the 4z dark, but some people find them too bright.
I agree that other pairs of headphones (such as the HD800S) definitely have a more ‘airy’ signature in the treble, and a wider soundstage. I also agree that it would be very pleasant to have the mids/bass of the 4z with such an ‘open’ and ‘airy’ top end. But, crucially, I do not find the 4z ‘dark’ in the sense that treble is subdued or missing. I can still tell exactly how much treble exists in tracks. I was worried that the 4z would be too “hifi” sounding and insufficiently neutral, but it functions so much better as a reference than my monitors do, that these worries have evaporated.

BTW, I’m wondering why most of you guys searching for the perfect cans seem not to be interested in EQ to modify the sound signature. Here is a quote from the RME ADI-2 Pro FS user manual that I found interesting:

“While no equalization as well as listening only straight linear has been a mantra for many years, research has proven that no ears are identical, and that especially in near-field listening (with phones) the biological differences alone make individual equalization mandatory. No two pairs of ears hear the same thing, that’s a fact. Additionally personal taste makes people like different sound signatures, which can easily be copied or made more similar (equalized…) on different headphones using a good EQ. The advantages of using an EQ outweigh any alleged disadvantages - which so often turn out to be wrong at closer inspection.”

I can’t comment from first-hand experience on how accurate this is, but I generally trust these guys to know what they’re talking about.
I would use Audeze’s Reveal plug-in, but I can’t think of a way to have it affect only my headphone output (not the monitors). So, when I receive the ADI-2 Pro FS, I intend to experiment with its per-output EQ possibilities.
Agree with the 4z not sounding “dark” to my ears either, maybe ever so slightly less “airy” say compared to Stax electrostatics but definitely not “dark”, to me anyway.

I cannot comment on the HD820s as I have never heard them but in general I have often found Sennheiser full size HPs to be too bright for my personal tastes

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #1,303 of 2,476
Having heard most of Audeze's offerings I can say the HD820 doesn't sound anything like them. The HD820's are the best sounding Sennheiser's I've heard to date. They are much warmer sounding than the HD800/HD800S headphones. They still retail the Sennheiser detail but with a bassier, warmer tilt to them. They also sound more open than most open headphones I've heard. The bass doesn't hit as hard as Auduze bass but it is deep, layered and textured and blends very well with the rest of the headphone frequencies.

Oct 1, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #1,304 of 2,476
The HD820's are the best sounding Sennheiser's I've heard to date.

You serious? Like have you heard sennheiser full catalog or just basing on what you got your hands on?

The HD800/S and even the HD820 are around the 5th place in sennheiser collection.

Oct 1, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #1,305 of 2,476
You serious? Like have you heard sennheiser full catalog or just basing on what you got your hands on?

The HD800/S and even the HD820 are around the 5th place in sennheiser collection.
Just from what I've heard, not including the HE1 or Orpheus. Those are rare gems....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back