Audeze LCD-4
Jan 23, 2022 at 2:16 AM Post #10,171 of 11,957
x

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2022 at 4:28 AM Post #10,172 of 11,957
I'm going back to the LCD-4 after listening to the ZMF Verite Open (Erskine) and ZMF Aeolus (Vaskas), as well as other headphones for a while. I'm really enjoying the bass quality and resolution. It's not as "rumbly", and, as a basshead, I don't feel it is overwhelming enough, but it still sounds wonderful. I did write some initial impressions, but it's pretty long. I am finding that I'm liking the imaging more. Would anyone be interested?

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #10,173 of 11,957
Would anyone be interested?
Absolutely, yes!

As it happens, I've been comparing the LCD-4 and Vérité back-to-back these past few days. I'm not ready to share my impressions yet as I'm still figuring out what I'm hearing, but I can see where you're coming from with your observations.

What I will say, so far, is that the a/b comparison has been a pleasure; it's one of those rare instances in which both headphones come out of the comparison sounding better - their individual qualities shine through nicely. I've come to appreciate them both better, as a result.

Jan 23, 2022 at 9:41 AM Post #10,174 of 11,957
I previously had the he1000, v2 and SE version. Sometimes I miss the airy and detailed stage of the hifiman's.

I compared my lcd4 to the susvara. Running lavricable grand silver with he lcd4 and the stock cable with susvara. Both with 4 pin xlr from my moon neo 430had running roon from imac.

I found the susvara to sound a bit dry in comparison to the lcd4 and sometimes a bit sharp in the top on some tracks. Susvaras plays with a fantastic nice bigger and wider stage, while lcd4 plays a bit smaller, but with a more rounder meatier sound. Susvara let's you know what tracks has poor recording. Lcd4 is better in this regard, most tracks with poor recording quality sounds better on lcd 4 as its more forgiving. Overall I prefer the smoothness and the charm of the lcd4. But would love the stage and air that the susvara brings into the lcd4 :wink: but hey, guess you can't have it all.

Attachments

• 9F8EAFB5-1F39-4CF2-A97B-C8BDEBDD442B.jpeg
    9F8EAFB5-1F39-4CF2-A97B-C8BDEBDD442B.jpeg
    807.2 KB · Views: 0
Jan 23, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #10,175 of 11,957
Absolutely, yes!

As it happens, I've been comparing the LCD-4 and Vérité back-to-back these past few days. I'm not ready to share my impressions yet as I'm still figuring out what I'm hearing, but I can see where you're coming from with your observations.

What I will say, so far, is that the a/b comparison has been a pleasure; it's one of those rare instances in which both headphones come out of the comparison sounding better - their individual qualities shine through nicely. I've come to appreciate them both better, as a result.
Yeah, definitely have experienced that before, the appreciation.

Honestly I'm looking at my impressions right now and I feel it's a little too wordy and not complete :D.

I'm still growing in this hobby and finding different ways to how to be more precise in my impressions haha

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #10,176 of 11,957
I’ve been switching between my LCD4’s and my Abyss 1266 phi TC’s and in comparison the LCD4’s are smooth and detailed with good bass where the TC’s are more detailed with more bass slam. The 4’s used to be my go to headphones for a year until I got the TC’s which are now my first choice headphones but the 4’s are a nice compliment to the TC’s and I still enjoy them. Both are nice for different reasons but my favourite headphones are now the Abyss.

Jan 23, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #10,177 of 11,957
I previously had the he1000, v2 and SE version. Sometimes I miss the airy and detailed stage of the hifiman's.

I compared my lcd4 to the susvara. Running lavricable grand silver with he lcd4 and the stock cable with susvara. Both with 4 pin xlr from my moon neo 430had running roon from imac.

I found the susvara to sound a bit dry in comparison to the lcd4 and sometimes a bit sharp in the top on some tracks. Susvaras plays with a fantastic nice bigger and wider stage, while lcd4 plays a bit smaller, but with a more rounder meatier sound. Susvara let's you know what tracks has poor recording. Lcd4 is better in this regard, most tracks with poor recording quality sounds better on lcd 4 as its more forgiving. Overall I prefer the smoothness and the charm of the lcd4. But would love the stage and air that the susvara brings into the lcd4 :wink: but hey, guess you can't have it all.
Sure you can. Just buy and keep them all. :jecklinsmile:

Jan 23, 2022 at 9:17 PM Post #10,178 of 11,957
I'm going back to the LCD-4 after listening to the ZMF Verite Open (Erskine) and ZMF Aeolus (Vaskas), as well as other headphones for a while. I'm really enjoying the bass quality and resolution. It's not as "rumbly", and, as a basshead, I don't feel it is overwhelming enough, but it still sounds wonderful. I did write some initial impressions, but it's pretty long. I am finding that I'm liking the imaging more. Would anyone be interested?

I just got my 2Cs in - the LCD 4 definitely had way better extension and bass detail but I agree it’s not really a bassy headphone. The 2C has a bit more rumble. I’m actually trying to get a pair of the LCD 2F from 2016 as I definitely remember them having way more slam. The pads on these might be having an affect but the 2C is tuned with more forward mids and a bit more airy presentation while the 4 had better treble and the mids were as smooth as butter. If we could get the mids and treble of the LCD 4 with the bass of the 2/X it would be a killer setup.

Jan 24, 2022 at 3:12 AM Post #10,180 of 11,957
I just got my 2Cs in - the LCD 4 definitely had way better extension and bass detail but I agree it’s not really a bassy headphone. The 2C has a bit more rumble. I’m actually trying to get a pair of the LCD 2F from 2016 as I definitely remember them having way more slam. The pads on these might be having an affect but the 2C is tuned with more forward mids and a bit more airy presentation while the 4 had better treble and the mids were as smooth as butter. If we could get the mids and treble of the LCD 4 with the bass of the 2/X it would be a killer setup.

I managed to find this reply from someone who is affiliated with Audeze about (in this thread, around page 650). It's interesting and puts our expectations into perspective.

Disregarding that I work for Audeze,

Caps used for emphasis, not yelling*

I have to ask..

What is it that people expect?

In audio, there are some HARD, CONCRETE LAWS.

You can have 2 of 3 sound characteristics, or you can have a flat/utterly neutral, maybe even indistinct headphone.

1. You can have bass and midrange, but softer treble. (aka warm, rich, full bodied)

2. You can have bass and treble, but deficient midrange, (aka v-shape, spacious, but distant midrange)

3. You can have midrange and treble, but deficient bass (aka detail oriented, clinical, hyper precision)

So with these things... why is it that people expect the SAME bass, and midrange of an LCD-4, but with improved upper midrange/treble? This is scientifically impossible. You're gonna lessen immediate bass presence if you boost upper midrange/treble clarity. It doesn't matter if the bass and midrange linearity has not changed at all. If you boost upper range, the cost is that something else will not be as prominent. There may not be an actual change at all, but our ears will take it as LESS, because now something else (the upper midrange) is louder.

It's like people have incredibly unrealistic expectations on what can be done on a headphone. You can't make EVERYTHING FORWARD.

You're damned if you do, damned if you don't. I hear complaints on upper mids not being as prominent. The moment Audeze lifts the upper midrange, people complain that now something else has changed.

Well, I'd say... what did you expect?

So yeah, like what was said a headphone with the LCD-4's mid and treble presentation but with more bass quantity as an LCD-2/X just wouldn't be possible.

Jan 24, 2022 at 8:38 PM Post #10,181 of 11,957
I managed to find this reply from someone who is affiliated with Audeze about (in this thread, around page 650). It's interesting and puts our expectations into perspective.

So yeah, like what was said a headphone with the LCD-4's mid and treble presentation but with more bass quantity as an LCD-2/X just wouldn't be possible.

Yeah it’s all a game of trade offs I’m starting to realize that now. If you want the most technical headphone it’s usually at the expense of tonality or timbre. Flagships don’t usually go for the fun factor as that goes against the technical refinement that they’re going for.

Perhaps I should have just added a Lokius and added a bass boost to 120hz. In comparison I do find the mids of the 2C to be a bit more forward than any of the LCDs I’ve heard. I’m surprised.

What amp did you guys run your 4s on?

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022 at 12:45 AM Post #10,182 of 11,957
I'm just running mine out of my A90/FA Echo Mk II when I'm at home. Sounds absolutely amazing on either one.

A bit out of topic, but just wanted to recommend a song to listen on your LCD-4s: Around the World / Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger from Alive 2007

I'm not sure why it sounds so good on these cans. I've heard it on my HD 800S, Focal Clears, and Verite Closed but it doesn't have the same feel.

Edit: The whole album is amazing on them too!

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022 at 1:32 AM Post #10,183 of 11,957
I just listened to that album on my LCD4 last week. Agreed, it sounds great on the 4, Daft Punk does live better than most.

Jan 25, 2022 at 1:38 AM Post #10,184 of 11,957
I just listened to that album on my LCD4 last week. Agreed, it sounds great on the 4, Daft Punk does live better than most.
I've never been hit by such a sense of scale before. I think I've listened to it maybe 3 times fully and I just discovered it 2 days ago 😅

The bass extension of the LCD-4 goes a long way for this album.

Jan 25, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #10,185 of 11,957
x

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back