Audeze LCD-4
Mar 7, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #9,046 of 11,986
That sounds promising! I'll keep an eye out on any good deals for an LCD4. I don't find the weight of the Rad-0 to be a problem and never typically wear headphones for hours on end anyway.

I listen to Tidal - not sure what Roon is, are these able to link up? for free?
Check out Roon on the web. It is far from free, but greatly enhances the audiophile experience imo.

Mar 7, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #9,047 of 11,986
Just googled - so Roon is a media player (subscription based), can link Tidal to it, and then Roon can apply EQ presets to the headphones. Is that about right?

Mar 7, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #9,048 of 11,986
Just googled - so Roon is a media player (subscription based), can link Tidal to it, and then Roon can apply EQ presets to the headphones. Is that about right?
Correct and control music across media players and headphone sets. Manages your downloaded and streaming music. Has lyrics.

I resisted too for years but now am a convert.

Mar 7, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #9,049 of 11,986
Correct and control music across media players and headphone sets. Manages your downloaded and streaming music. Has lyrics.

I resisted too for years but now am a convert.
I'm a late adopter but super happy with it. Lifetime subscription.

Mar 7, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #9,050 of 11,986
Interesting interesting.....they have a free trial so if and when I eventually get round to some LCD4, it would be a good test to see the EQ difference. Thanks!

Mar 7, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #9,051 of 11,986
Also a non subscription based software, Audirvana, allows vst3 plug ins and reveal as well (as it's vst3 plug in) Tidal goes through it and comes out bit perfect, until you apply reveal or eq.
Both of these softwares will offer marginal sounq quality increase over the native Tidal app.

Without a strong amp, the lcd4 won't be fully available to you.

Mar 7, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #9,052 of 11,986
Also a non subscription based software, Audirvana, allows vst3 plug ins and reveal as well (as it's vst3 plug in) Tidal goes through it and comes out bit perfect, until you apply reveal or eq.
Both of these softwares will offer marginal sounq quality increase over the native Tidal app.

Without a strong amp, the lcd4 won't be fully available to you.
I have a topping ADI-2 --> A90 chain, do you think that would be suitable? I only got into the audio game in the last year because UK has been in lockdown for almost a year.... Trying not to spend tooo much too soon tho!

Mar 7, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #9,053 of 11,986
I have a topping ADI-2 --> A90 chain, do you think that would be suitable? I only got into the audio game in the last year because UK has been in lockdown for almost a year.... Trying not to spend tooo much too soon tho!
I don't know if the a90 is up for it, someone will chime in
You could go the 4z route which is just slightly different in sound, but advertised as easier to drive.

Mar 7, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #9,054 of 11,986
I must also confess I am close to trying Roon for myself but I’m not sure how it works. Last year I was naive to streaming until I got a Directstream dac with Bridge II and have not looked back. Now I have an Auralic Aries G2.1 and it’s awesome. I really should check out Roon.

Mar 7, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #9,055 of 11,986
I don't know if the a90 is up for it, someone will chime in
You could go the 4z route which is just slightly different in sound, but advertised as easier to drive.
My personal motto is "buy nice or buy twice", I think if I get a 4z I'd only just crave for the original 4 lol. Hopefully someone can chime in about the A90 ability.

Otherwise get an LCD4 and upgrade amp later, get that wow factor now, then more wow factor if I need to upgrade amp again

Mar 7, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #9,056 of 11,986
I must also confess I am close to trying Roon for myself but I’m not sure how it works. Last year I was naive to streaming until I got a Directstream dac with Bridge II and have not looked back. Now I have an Auralic Aries G2.1 and it’s awesome. I really should check out Roon.
Free trials make it super easy. Try audirvana too, I find it slightly better sounding.

Mar 7, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #9,057 of 11,986
My personal motto is "buy nice or buy twice", I think if I get a 4z I'd only just crave for the original 4 lol. Hopefully someone can chime in about the A90 ability.

Otherwise get an LCD4 and upgrade amp later, get that wow factor now, then more wow factor if I need to upgrade amp again
Cough it up! You won't be disappointed, but really do need a capable amp.. It matters a lot.. A lot!

Mar 7, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #9,059 of 11,986
I have the A90 but have not tried it with the LCD 4. I has a lot of power, so I'm sure it can drive an LCD 4 in terms of sound level. Yes you can always upgrade later.

Mar 7, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #9,060 of 11,986
It's great. Esp if you have multiple Roon endpoints around the house. It's pretty easy to set up. Give it a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back