Audeze LCD-4
Dec 3, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #8,867 of 11,986
I haven't personally, just be careful not to smoke the drivers with too much power. Start really low and adjust up. I always turn my volume pot all the way down when turning off any of my amps. Just a safety precaution I guess. Maybe not necessary, of course I have never blew out a driver either.

Dec 3, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #8,868 of 11,986
Anyone every try using speaker taps to power these? I just got a pair of these for a damn good price but I feel like topping a90 isn't enough
How far does the volume dial go? Also, what's your DAC's voltage output?

Edit: Speaker amps are kinda dodgy honestly. They might actually have audible noise and distortion so I would avoid them personally.

Dec 3, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #8,869 of 11,986
How far does the volume dial go? Also, what's your DAC's voltage output?

Edit: Speaker amps are kinda dodgy honestly. They might actually have audible noise and distortion so I would avoid them personally.
I also don't think that they are necessary with the LCD-4.

There are a lot of strong headamp options available.

If one wants to make sure there is enough juice available, I'd go for the Wells Milo

Dec 3, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #8,870 of 11,986
If you want a inexpensive option try the Emotiva A-100. It puts out plenty of power from it’s headphone jack. Like 8 watts at 50 Ohms. I have it as a backup for my TC and LCD4.

Dec 3, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #8,871 of 11,986
The D90's output voltage is 4 volts ( which is fine for balanced ) . I feel like something is missing from the A90 amp that i'm using . I was considering trying a ragnarok 1 or 2 , or a Higher end class A audio-gd amp .

Dec 3, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #8,872 of 11,986
the watts mentioned are not the issue...I have heard amps that were far more powerful that sound awful and amps of lessor but still plenty of power that sound great....the power is overrated as long as you have the minimum needed you are fine

Dec 4, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #8,873 of 11,986
the watts mentioned are not the issue...I have heard amps that were far more powerful that sound awful and amps of lessor but still plenty of power that sound great....the power is overrated as long as you have the minimum needed you are fine

Amen brother.....I am listening to mine tonight on an SET amp just to power headphones, no speakers....sound fantastic, what great headphones!

Dec 4, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #8,874 of 11,986
anyone who likes joe bonamassa knows his music!

Dec 4, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #8,875 of 11,986
Anyone every try using speaker taps to power these? I just got a pair of these for a damn good price but I feel like topping a90 isn't enough
The Topping A90 is incredibly powerful and transparent via 4-Pin-XLR Balanced . You're getting a lot of watts. If you're looking at a different amp, arguably it would be to only change the fundamental tonality of the amp. So careful what you wish for. After spending a week with the A90 the only place I find it a bit lacking is the soundstage but this purely because it has a reference quality (i think). It's just not as wide as I would like it but it's still more than acceptable. Otherwise you would have to spend a lot of money to get to Benchmark HPA4 level which is pointless considering the price to performance ratio with the A90. Violectrics made amps are warmer and have a different tonal characteristic and are powerful but still more than double the cost.

Dec 4, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #8,876 of 11,986
power wise the topping is fine, otherwise you get what you pay for

Dec 5, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #8,880 of 11,986
The D90's output voltage is 4 volts ( which is fine for balanced ) . I feel like something is missing from the A90 amp that i'm using . I was considering trying a ragnarok 1 or 2 , or a Higher end class A audio-gd amp .

You can get a used Rag 1 for $950ish. That will give up 4 wpc pure class A in setting 1 or 2. Setting 2 gives you about 10 wpc in setting 2 at 50 ohms, over 4 wpc its class AB. I run a HE-6se on a Rag 1, and I hardly ever leave Class A, and the 6se is I believe less efficient than your LCD-4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back