Audeze LCD-4
Sep 9, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #8,656 of 11,986
I've been told that the difference is like between LCD-3 and LCD-X. And if you prefer the LCD-3 and have the amplifier for it, the LCD-4 will probably suit you best and vice versa for the LCD-X.

Sep 9, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #8,657 of 11,986
I am going to get a desktop amp for my LCD-4's. The Ifi Micro BL I have been using for my other headphones seems to really be struggling with them, so it's time for some more power. Obviously something like the Headamp GSX II would be ideal, but does anyone have any recommendations for a (possibly cheaper) amp (preferably with DAC) that sounds particularly good with the LCD-4's? These are by far the thirstiest headphones I plan to own, so I want to base my amp purchase on them.

Sep 9, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #8,658 of 11,986
As for B stock LCD 4's, I purchased a pair direct from Audeze. I still haven't found any blemishes on them. They look perfect. Really good deal if you can find them.

Sep 9, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #8,659 of 11,986
I've been told that the difference is like between LCD-3 and LCD-X. And if you prefer the LCD-3 and have the amplifier for it, the LCD-4 will probably suit you best and vice versa for the LCD-X.
I actually prefer LCDXs.

Sep 9, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #8,660 of 11,986
As for B stock LCD 4's, I purchased a pair direct from Audeze. I still haven't found any blemishes on them. They look perfect. Really good deal if you can find them.
That’s what I’m trying to do. I’ll do a little shootout between few pairs next Monday at my local shop. They only have LCD4z available for demo tho. Every other headphone in that lineup is significantly lighter and some supposedly play really well with tubes so LCD4z are in a bit of disadvantage. Or maybe not. It’s technically superior to all of them IMO.

Sep 9, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #8,661 of 11,986
The LCD-4 isn't as dark as the 3. Much more treble detail and a more balanced sound. I felt the 4 is more similar to the MX4 than the 3. Of course the 4 has a richer mid range compared to the MX4. I own the 4 and owned the MX4 for about a year. Had both for about 6 months, so plenty of time to side by side compare.

Sep 9, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #8,662 of 11,986
The LCD-4 isn't as dark as the 3. Much more treble detail and a more balanced sound. I felt the 4 is more similar to the MX4 than the 3. Of course the 4 has a richer mid range compared to the MX4. I own the 4 and owned the MX4 for about a year. Had both for about 6 months, so plenty of time to side by side compare.
I can get lcd-4, 4z or i4 at discount. And they are within my budget. So we will see. Other contenders are significantly less expensive (with discounts I’ve found) so LCD-4(z) better impress me.

Sep 9, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #8,663 of 11,986
I am going to get a desktop amp for my LCD-4's. The Ifi Micro BL I have been using for my other headphones seems to really be struggling with them, so it's time for some more power. Obviously something like the Headamp GSX II would be ideal, but does anyone have any recommendations for a (possibly cheaper) amp (preferably with DAC) that sounds particularly good with the LCD-4's? These are by far the thirstiest headphones I plan to own, so I want to base my amp purchase on them.
I really liked my v280 with lcd4 when i demoed it a couple of times

the v280 handled any potential issue with treble well. - kept in check

Sep 14, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #8,664 of 11,986
Contact Audeze support. They are very accommodating. Also a cup change is not very expensive.
I did. They said no to 200ohm drivers in magnesium body.

Sep 14, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #8,665 of 11,986
Well that's not cool. I wonder if it just has to do with avoiding manufacturing complications. Can't imagine they won't fit.

Sep 14, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #8,666 of 11,986
Well that's not cool. I wonder if it just has to do with avoiding manufacturing complications. Can't imagine they won't fit.
Don’t know why but that’s the answer I got. However, I’ve been auditioning bunch of headphones in the store and I think that I’ll stick with my LCDX as far as going up the Audeze line is concern. LCD-4 are just too heavy. Second, I would say that if you really want LCD-4 or 4z, go with B-stock as I can’t justify 4K asking price. Yes there is a difference but is it almost 3K difference (if you pay retail)? I guess it depends on individual. For me? No. I rather get something that offers something other then Audeze house sound but it’s still technicality, musically enjoyable.

Sep 17, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #8,667 of 11,986
The bass coming from these headphones is so sinfully addictive. These are the most decadent sounding headphones I've heard. After a gourmet four course meal listening to an orchestral performance on the HD800's and appreciating the exquisite nuances of each instrument, there's no better way to finish off the meal than with some Charles Mingus on the LCD-4's and let the bass reverberate through you. Bon appetit!

Sep 17, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #8,668 of 11,986
I'm not sure whether to put my LCD-4's on and listen to music or go get something to eat after reading that post. :jecklinsmile:

Sep 17, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #8,669 of 11,986
I actually chose the X over the 3. I was very happy for 2 years until I moved up to the LCD-4. Now 3 years on I can't conceive of being without my 4s except WHERE IS THE LCD-5?

Sep 18, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #8,670 of 11,986
Went ahead and got the Topping A90 to power these. So far I have zero regrets. I still need to get a balanced XLR to maximize the power I can pump into them, but even with the 1/4" I can feel the power flowing through me. With heavy bass, especially with drums, I can literally feel it throughout my whole body like a subwoofer. It's nuts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back