Audeze LCD-4
Jan 31, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #8,041 of 11,974
Might want to consider some of the ZMF offerings. The Aeolus or Verite might fit the bill.

Jan 31, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #8,042 of 11,974
So I'm currently using an HD800 and a VC. I recently sold my LCD4 (TL;DR it was my favorite sound yet, it just made me too paranoid to own out of warranty). On their own terms I'm very happy with both headphones. So on the one hand, good call naming something I already own lol. On the other...

I feel like there's something I'm still missing and a 3rd can / second open-back really could put me at endgame for years. My only IEM is a JH Angie, I feel like if I had that wonky FR in open back form it wouldn't be far from fitting the bill. The type of enjoyment I get from it is very similar in a way to the type I got from the 4.

With the EQ I put on my HD800 to partly Harmanize it and bring vocals forward, the VC signature sounds closer to it to me than it did to the LCD4. I've seen others remark on a huge overlap between people that like Senn and ZMF signatures. That's probably me — but I still find myself wanting something that, like the 4, gives further contrast.

Am I just being neurotic and they're really already as contrasted as you can get? My year of owning the LCD4 is why I don't think so, it felt like a very enjoyably colored contrast to both and if sound was the only consideration I would be at my endgame now.

I noticed that bumping up the "note thickness" on the MSEB equalizer a few points (which achieves that effect by adjusting the "mudrange") brings the VC closer to the feel I liked from the 4. It's not a favorable change to the VC all around, but does make me like the aforementioned genres a bit more.

I realize part of what's happening is I'm trying to walk a tightrope. There's an inherent tradeoff between adding "fun" color and staying accurate, and I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too by landing exactly 29.782° South on that scale… however, the 4 walked that line so beautifully, I'm sure other stuff must too.

Owning two ZMF cans wouldn't be great for maximizing the diversity in my 3 pairs, but it would answer my worries about warranty to grab one new. So maybe an Aeolus is still the answer…

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #8,043 of 11,974
I can't really think of another headphone that is similar to the LCD4 but different enough from your other headphones. I just got a pair of HEDDphones and they remind me of my Utopia but with more bass. In that the bass goes deeper and is of higher level. It would split the two you have, but not sure it really hits that "magic mids" it sounds like your looking for.

Jan 31, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #8,044 of 11,974
I can't really think of another headphone that is similar to the LCD4 but different enough from your other headphones. I just got a pair of HEDDphones and they remind me of my Utopia but with more bass. In that the bass goes deeper and is of higher level. It would split the two you have, but not sure it really hits that "magic mids" it sounds like your looking for.

I would look at the Abyss, it has the bass of the LCD4 and some. Then a huge soundstage and detail in the treble to rival a top Stax 009 rig. It is super hard to find a HP that does it all, and sound realistic to live music, but the Abyss gets super close IMO.

Jan 31, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #8,045 of 11,974
The only advantage of the LCD4 over the Abyss is it’s midrange. So smooth and full. However the Abyss is no slouch either. But drier and more analytical in the mids. I would have a hard time getting rid of either.

Jan 31, 2020 at 11:52 PM Post #8,046 of 11,974
So I'm currently using an HD800 and a VC. I recently sold my LCD4 (TL;DR it was my favorite sound yet, it just made me too paranoid to own out of warranty). On their own terms I'm very happy with both headphones. So on the one hand, good call naming something I already own lol. On the other...

I feel like there's something I'm still missing and a 3rd can / second open-back really could put me at endgame for years. My only IEM is a JH Angie, I feel like if I had that wonky FR in open back form it wouldn't be far from fitting the bill. The type of enjoyment I get from it is very similar in a way to the type I got from the 4.

With the EQ I put on my HD800 to partly Harmanize it and bring vocals forward, the VC signature sounds closer to it to me than it did to the LCD4. I've seen others remark on a huge overlap between people that like Senn and ZMF signatures. That's probably me — but I still find myself wanting something that, like the 4, gives further contrast.

Am I just being neurotic and they're really already as contrasted as you can get? My year of owning the LCD4 is why I don't think so, it felt like a very enjoyably colored contrast to both and if sound was the only consideration I would be at my endgame now.

I noticed that bumping up the "note thickness" on the MSEB equalizer a few points (which achieves that effect by adjusting the "mudrange") brings the VC closer to the feel I liked from the 4. It's not a favorable change to the VC all around, but does make me like the aforementioned genres a bit more.

I realize part of what's happening is I'm trying to walk a tightrope. There's an inherent tradeoff between adding "fun" color and staying accurate, and I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too by landing exactly 29.782° South on that scale… however, the 4 walked that line so beautifully, I'm sure other stuff must too.

Owning two ZMF cans wouldn't be great for maximizing the diversity in my 3 pairs, but it would answer my worries about warranty to grab one new. So maybe an Aeolus is still the answer…

You should check out the Empyrean then, lots of comparisons between them and the LCD4 (or 4Z) in the Empyrean thread, alternatively, the RAD-0 made by a former Audeze co-founder could do the trick; I recall someone really liking them with metal and classic rock(?) . Unfortunate that the thought of your LCD4 out of warranty was too much for you to handle, it seems like Empyrean service and reliability have been high thus far so that should assuage you.

Feb 1, 2020 at 12:24 AM Post #8,047 of 11,974
What other open cans have a similar warm or Harman-tilting midrange and great bass? I'm looking for something that would mostly be for extreme tech metal, black- and death-influenced stuff… stoner rock with thick fuzzy guitars, Tool. It's a fairly special use-case so some coloration is preferred, though fidelity is as always important - even the LCD3 would be too hazy for me to go back to now.

The Susvara is expensive and rarely seen used, and Abyss definitely intrigues me but "U-shaped" makes me think it may not be ideal. Or am I wrong?
The Abyss used to have what could be described as a U shaped sound, however the newer versions do not have that and is a must listen to, you are simply not hearing all of your music the way it is intended if you are not listening to an Abyss.

Feb 1, 2020 at 1:55 AM Post #8,048 of 11,974
Overall it seems as though TC owners are the most passionate lol. I do not see LCD4/Susvara Owners talking about their cans like how TC owners do.

Feb 1, 2020 at 7:18 AM Post #8,049 of 11,974
Overall it seems as though TC owners are the most passionate lol. I do not see LCD4/Susvara Owners talking about their cans like how TC owners do.

There is still passion in the LCD4 thread, it is a bit more muted maybe than it was. The LCD4 has it's merits and has a very particular kind of sound signature. For me, it has enough great things going on to keep mine. But the Abyss TC goes beyond and digs deeper into the details, give you more insight. It is also faster and has this huge soundstage. All of which add up to a very addictive and satisfying (an fatigue free, unlike my old Stax 009 rig) listening experience.

So in summary, IMO the reason there is passion in this thread is the Abyss does enough in all the areas people want, detail, speed, dynamics, liquid mids, realistic timbre, zero fatigue (with a good DAC and amp), and gets you closer than any other HP, to have a wide fan base. To me the limiting factor may be just the price and needing a fairly powerful amp. For those who can stretch to that, it is end game.

Feb 1, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #8,050 of 11,974

Another +1 for the Rosson RAD-0. I personally thought the overall sound signature was better than the LCD-4. The Verite is currently my favorite headphone, so that gives you a sense of my preferred signature. The RAD-0 has some really punchy bass, with more clarity through the mids and treble than any LCD-4 I've owned before. I'm not sure why this isn't advertised more, but Rosson also offers a lifetime warranty for drivers, similar to ZMF. That might help you with the paranoia with Audeze drivers. I felt the same way with all of my Audeze headphones, hence now owning a ZMF.

Feb 7, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #8,054 of 11,974
Is there a reliable method to tell the 100ohm and the 200ohm LCD4 apart just by looking, or would this involve the serial#? Looking to buy a pair on the used market.

-Mike
There is no any visible difference between the two. Simple way to distinguish is to use digital multimeter (they are dirty chip, you don't need fancy one for that purpose) and measure impedance between sleeve and tip or ring on TRS connector when cable is connected to LCD-4. Serial number is another possibility but some of 100 ohms LCD-4's might have upgraded drivers and that is not reflected in our Data Base.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Feb 13, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #8,055 of 11,974
Hello all,

I just wanted to show what @MIR05LAV did for the LCD-4s I have. Some custom carbon fiber work he did himself! I think they look pretty cool, also "weight savings", take a look! (Sorry for the potato quality, I don't have a nice camera, spent everything on headphones lol)
yiTPtcBH7Xx1DrgwRKSeqPCJrhEQfsgMOHi-JYU2Wl0M6RMOm4nMBdjwLJmPVWAGX31TvGr_1KfbbOI7rQLDjUc-KtGi6JWe209dVt5BJVqFksfYjthcp3u8K7MUNyCLHw9FaiLzvvxVRUWzjdx_b53n2Z3IJczjQADx2HmA5BMYMp4QWFuCsS3mTmJszF1TYc3o8UfI6F_joIeYjtS2gE_LnFO8Wct_go7fX0b1by66SpJ5Tpcer3WmmMWqoblcSeVvNHqYK4QO9pb5y1jHehlQksnqUapo-fLQUR-W2GqxNM_sxC37FkDN5dUpxWTq9pqI9cC3YTwGFgIjA21D7ZLpMuRWXa8Xz76J37wX9AqM4R2DIDOowrMa_verj1mRh92fYzLLwLTVxuO3IXUh2bYa-NJvDwHqvpsiRKWNjc64Mt4cQrfcybjd3UGouJ-fSG3WFHb2tiYr7WG_ipUt2lT32IyK0zJWlJSN-zIvdScgNuxx3nG_mBg0MiAEQPyxuLjwP4JQl-oU2d9uDvNq7nLXA4kkP8b6xPYH8COy0dPK0FHGFYq6DOYqRwHcofVQgrTjAjliR1qJEaxSL4vdVQK2qWKzMntFJcswbdYsPtsZXMKLkcBntSM2iEkjV8RkO8KtEKTbt6pVdaUzxsNS-c3edKMwKIX7nlztyt_L8w9QyVWlQZZsj0bP=w1730-h1297-no

_PGa_pS1hqhDElasqcvyXEf9y28ZAw4D6wzT_G-234H_NBkvDe3DBOzx4hah_HIWUf5okCvTppD11tpwn58-xsS4wXIN6FmcptU6mzTRYvSV0lj1vWC8rq6UqnyJ0twz_YkSjeK_Xhh52aH5KIO2pyOctN9w08nBTOib7XgvDdYH5BW31x3VrO8RgjBf4P1GkiGGloDHS9NM8O6_uHqx072-Zzh3UNdPJQz8TX9Gwg8JsdQ92xA-xUV5_gIb0sLm6k5ZHTvcRiZJN7CF2GJlodzGY88T4MbG_ak6zNPjwHoZyK85Empj6j61r6nq2E1qjHQ39guNnUbq6WtC_ZKs48gnSpveiwixGYETpm1Vr3rV7Xz7faiRN7OVAfKRUGKvm2jYty5RLROmRK-KrIvnJMFpTCfuoYmAT6B8h8ONm_J9eBy1FbY493kLtrDERa7bfB7oYXUc0mCo8MVTiIDhpYdxsx1DmkO4shf_zcEXPPuJ8x4W3HZzgWuJKufWsECcbnZrG_MFtCYx_9smcwvqXaPLHo7faohUj6xjL4YyD5BrRMAsHibVCs-oLlYEv66O4nkxa_0pWYNEhOGyhjhTlavWtcxWhAqzxK7-euU_zXlTLHcTXlQyuJjPwoNtisptwkMd2bxXFttAi6nivtZHt3m9_GsI52TDiLW72khfSC8veAiX46fL7ROW=w973-h1297-no

An1DDepcK0P4aLII9xxB9c2vU2mv0jXbpY9fb9FCjXXAj8WFjYamcvoiylFggvQCvyK-ppj3c1rD80GMJs7EHl0Bj_5SycN8XXc1tYVbMOhP6lrcLy8gSciktXfbjk7e8abDZq-w-qWUV1j_njjCF2DTdOGqQm3c7nNUHhW74PE4Da5Ep9xXU8d0zRuyJ2gmlOUcbhCVrAhCB6_Gk3pXymqIGUlSNzom6njgRYp6XEKD5KgHjA4EvUTgfcmr_gAq7o98Ey7l-O_R0XSusnlM_ptQbqAtU8au4cgUeZSM2HL0HizmhjubovKGYarjWecjqu9NpMfHeiOhpx9Zm_PWn7r1rfZzWz39CaG6jWQ3hQdoVs8m2pI68nxgqCddDycSp6fmCmfsyGjDxnQ36ak89BlWtT9AeLq7tb4RFzzFSrWDdW2pbK-eqKHqjGhAYFtD2j_8cWWqWCFw6yN14wax1RWq2XCWUTMn8QSADgvNWYCporRL3ZFVnCQFmm9JvVvga7hqr526iyEeYViSXThRpIa7m1IZEiry1CC-V7tTd7FhUbJH2msud9LEmGtAbxYcFbvMPAKJ5I55wVGBC69QEZnMsCn-6ni8SnJZMwcPd1Lz89AjsbjaA1g5w5-nCwKbRYE2KNCmP9AUCk428pTg4mq0RRMlcdEsbm3De6b4THZLCDCRixRTIXF0=w1730-h1297-no

QRqoNNQ_zykFD4I8P-SuoZhVpve_ek9ILqawRlkis8u1AjITj4ubc_dk7y94C1rAc-daQF1MSRR9vIHCv15iAFKTeyPQW_XeckYApS4UR0SuOGGPyBF5mNyTZu2UTqX7gp-jjoDJy2LcRfBfqk8DPvfYsTy4YkO6PJ5gj-WYu-MLm-fPRtv_WrZlX01Tyc5B9-cPg0WZJVgbjNxvZnQR4i6SSTNyxj9xZuCU7Igtni-AgiPdau3eekSyyCT0EpY0yLOPE6bQlnyMC9FOedO9O5jXgKfahZlVqEFvAn5qVHQEonqQkGvbIWv4cFgvk_BdX12W5L5n7Sf1k9S7UZf5UekHCLQAHMhk-pdflFGeTn0UvKJujIyl4HA1xWACEhUd838PYUlxuwfUgSzY47KopFmsKq8qxsBhC6FCowU3eLf9mO2LdKNCeC_oonOrs7Shhj4_JPfz-chlYLgWxf_S2ZYmKeMbBpP_C8m5pwHlOcT_LkP4X4VzTTari-TX4F3fS3HyGqhroEaSzNiwrXXvtlXhaz_5-S4qnObv0MV2V_zq-SC3QqN3w-ZRf_ZLWM4rdWZ9fk2EjwsNU6mLzyUSInMxiMrFfTFlI8J3OYmMTBdwKjSZbCtOkUytChDaNbwCfxsBlHxXkAB7iXrUpU4aozd7mV_T_HnsU8H9WTPduhyAk_4majVsRXtY=w1730-h1297-no

All this is @MIR05LAV and his craftsmanship, these feel OEM quality, he even engraved the "AUDEZE LCD-4" and "PLANAR MAGNETIC TECHNOLOGY" into each grille, simply awesome!

Also, I want to thank @rthomas for sending his LCD-4s to Oratory1990, I love the EQ settings, especially while playing FPS games, I legitimately feel a "presence" when big things are going on (building falling down or something), and it sounds somewhat out of my head, all while being contained in the headphones. Also it sounds great for music and stuff too.

This community is so awesome, happy listening all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back