Audeze LCD-4
Dec 22, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #5,191 of 11,986
  To all LCD4 owners who did not try or purchase the Utopia:
Rest assure that you have a wonderful headphones, believe me you are not missing anything. 
I got my Utopia yesterday, GREAT phones just like the LCD4. 

I completely agree,I own both HP's and I find it hard to pick a winner between the 2 although I do seem to listen to the LCD-4 more often FWIIW

Dec 22, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #5,192 of 11,986
To all LCD4 owners who did not try or purchase the Utopia:
Rest assure that you have a wonderful headphones, believe me you are not missing anything. 
I got my Utopia yesterday, GREAT phones just like the LCD4. 

this makes no sense.

which is it? - are we not missing anything? or is the Utopia as great as the LCD-4?

i would suggest you spend more than a day with the Utopia before you start making any grand proclamations. you are speaking out of emotion and not making much sense doing it.

not to mention the Utopia requires at least 50hrs of burn-in to get anywhere close to their full potential.

Dec 22, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #5,193 of 11,986
  I completely agree,I own both HP's and I find it hard to pick a winner between the 2 although I do seem to listen to the LCD-4 more often FWIIW

biggrin.gif
 Same thing here man 

Even-though the Utopia is new but I find myself going back to the LCD4. 

Dec 22, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #5,194 of 11,986
Has anyone compared the old blue cable with the new braided one that comes with the LCD4s? Any opinions you can share regarding sound differences?

Dec 23, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #5,196 of 11,986
this makes no sense.

which is it? - are we not missing anything? or is the Utopia as great as the LCD-4?

i would suggest you spend more than a day with the Utopia before you start making any grand proclamations. you are speaking out of emotion and not making much sense doing it.

not to mention the Utopia requires at least 50hrs of burn-in to get anywhere close to their full potential.

I would suggest you also take a step back too [and yes my Mod Hat is on here].  He is entitled to state his own opinion, and you seem to be taking great pains to borderline attack his stance.

If you disagree - that's fine - but how about both of you simply stop responding to each other's posts?

If this continues I'll need to take more assertive action.

Dec 23, 2016 at 5:42 AM Post #5,197 of 11,986
Three days in a row of late night/early morning listening to the audio bliss that is the pairing of a Violectric HPA V280 and an Audeze LCD-4. Glad I didn't rule the LCD-4 out due to its weight. The >5W output @ 100* ohms coming from the V280 is fantastic. Best planar I've heard to date. The LCD-4 may in fact be everything you could ever want in a headphone for what I listen to most often (preferences on my profile).

The LCD-4 isn't quite as comfortable as my Ether 1.1 Open was. However, it's way more comfortable than the LCD-2.2 pre-fazor that I had. Bumpy headbands just suck; consider me a fan of the new carbon fiber headband. I do adjust the headband a few millimeters every 30 minutes to an hour or so. I don't think that I'd even need to if the suspension headband didn't have the carbon fiber digging into it. Still better than bumps! I wonder if by putting a piece of foam inbetween the strap and carbon fiber, where they make contact, if that would alleviate/fix the pressure spot. Worth a shot. I've worn them for a little over 5 hours straight without getting up and taking them off (yay dehydration; worth it).

My only other gripe would be that bobbing your head to the music may cause your neck to snap. Lol. Toe tapping only. Found that out the hard way day 2. No such additional fatigue during day 1 or day 3. I have to resist the urge, but the music is just too good! First world problems...

Dec 23, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #5,198 of 11,986
Has anyone compared the old blue cable with the new braided one that comes with the LCD4s? Any opinions you can share regarding sound differences?

As Smazz mentioned, I have both. When new, I thought the blue cable had a bit more grain to it than my Cardas cable, I kept using it with my LCD-3 to hopefully break it in. I later bought the newer braided cable from Audeze. It's sounded great out of the box and continues to today. The blue cable eventually sounded much better to me and it's the one I use now. The braided has a very slight midrange emphasis while the highs seem a touch more extended with the blue. I prefer the blue with my headphones and preferred the braided with Smazz' LCD-4. Having said that, the differences are very minor but they do exist. Truthfully, I could be happy with either cable.

Dec 23, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #5,199 of 11,986
As Smazz mentioned, I have both. When new, I thought the blue cable had a bit more grain to it than my Cardas cable, I kept using it with my LCD-3 to hopefully break it in. I later bought the newer braided cable from Audeze. It's sounded great out of the box and continues to today. The blue cable eventually sounded much better to me and it's the one I use now. The braided has a very slight midrange emphasis while the highs seem a touch more extended with the blue. I prefer the blue with my headphones and preferred the braided with Smazz' LCD-4. Having said that, the differences are very minor but they do exist. Truthfully, I could be happy with either cable.

Thanks.. the treble is what I'm finding fatiguing over longer listening sessions. The braided may be the way to go for me. Any impact on sound stage that you can recall?

Dec 23, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #5,202 of 11,986

I actually just bought a pair of the braided cables second hand here...I had the blue balanced cable and i got the braided 1/4 inch cable and i am surprised how much I like them.....they are really light and comfortable to use and sound quite good...I also have a pair of moon silver dragons which i like as well but they are a bit less comfortable and easy to wear and they have microphonic noise that I do not hear with the Audeze braided cable.....I have recently been experimenting with various different cables and thus far in very limited use i am very impressed with the braided cable....highly recommended!

Dec 23, 2016 at 11:29 PM Post #5,203 of 11,986
I owned an LCD-X awhile back but had to return it.  I got headaches from the heavy weight.  I loved the sound of the headphones, but just couldn't wear them for more than 30 minutes.  I'm tempted by the LCD-4, but the weight has me concerned.  Can anyone comment on the effect of the LCD-4 carbon fiber headband on how heavy the headphones feel compared to the normal headband on any other LCD headphone?

Dec 23, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #5,204 of 11,986
  I owned an LCD-X awhile back but had to return it.  I got headaches from the heavy weight.  I loved the sound of the headphones, but just couldn't wear them for more than 30 minutes.  I'm tempted by the LCD-4, but the weight has me concerned.  Can anyone comment on the effect of the LCD-4 carbon fiber headband on how heavy the headphones feel compared to the normal headband on any other LCD headphone?

It helps, but the LCD-4s are still a heavy headphone. I would demo them before purchase, see if the weight is an issue. 

Dec 24, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #5,205 of 11,986
Good idea.  Maybe my neck muscles have gotten stronger over the last year or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back