Audeze LCD-4
Dec 10, 2016 at 2:12 AM Post #5,116 of 11,986
Kim of Support Audeze, send me this mail about the New cable Audeze lcd4:

==============================
The new Premium cable features cryogenically treated four conductor stranded wire, each wire consisting of a large number of extremely fine strands of silver-plated single-crystal OCC copper with a combined cross section equivalent to AWG 20 that ensures low resistance and negligible signal loss. Crystals within strands are oriented in a specific pattern to provide the best possible signal transmission.
• Very flexible, tangle free
• Non-microphonic jacket
• Weight: 110 g

Connectors:
• 1/4" (6.3mm) stereo plug for single ended or 4-pin XLR for balanced cable to amplifier
• 2 x 4-pin mini XLR for headphone earcup connection

Electrical Specifications:
• Resistance: 12 milliohms per foot (BLUE cable was 25 milliohms)
• Capacitance: 10 picofarads per foot (BLUE cable was same)
• Inductance: 0.15 microhenrys per foot (BLUE cable was 0.4)
Dielectric strength: 1000V (BLUE cable was 600V)

Dec 10, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #5,117 of 11,986
My cable copped a sharp hit to the corner of my desk the other day and I'm pretty sure some of the crystals came out of alignment. Now it sounds a bit congested. Can someone advise which direction I should shake my cable in to realign the crystals in a pattern that will yield the most liquid mids?

Dec 10, 2016 at 7:42 AM Post #5,118 of 11,986
  I'm using Silver Widow 22.  Love its look and overall build. It is simply beautiful to look at. I found it (well may be psychologically) superior than the blue cable that comes with LCD-4;  it is more airy and brings more details. Objectively, well I have nothing to add here 
rolleyes.gif

I've compared the Silver Widow 22 and the blue cable as well and found no noticeable differences. There were some quite evident when comparing with a stock LCD2/3 cable though.

I know if I'm going to buy a custom cable for the LCD-4's, it would be for aesthetic reasons only.

Dec 10, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #5,119 of 11,986
My cable copped a sharp hit to the corner of my desk the other day and I'm pretty sure some of the crystals came out of alignment. Now it sounds a bit congested. Can someone advise which direction I should shake my cable in to realign the crystals in a pattern that will yield the most liquid mids?

You have to orient the cable in the direction you want the crystals to realign and submit the cable to 30g spin for 2 hours.

Then all crystals should be aligned.

Dec 14, 2016 at 5:31 AM Post #5,124 of 11,986
Finally, my Moon 430HA arrived and at first listening I can say that it's massive difference, 2 steps above from Oppo HA-1 when I used it with my LCD-4. Finally I have back punchy, magic sound of Audeze, like when I used HA-1 with LCD-3. Of course precision, separation and quality is on another level.

Everybody who is saying that LCD-4 doesn't need very powerful amp is lying or trying to satisfy yourself with his current rig.

Dec 14, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #5,125 of 11,986
  Finally, my Moon 430HA arrived and at first listening I can say that it's massive difference, 2 steps above from Oppo HA-1 when I used it with my LCD-4. Finally I have back punchy, magic sound of Audeze, like when I used HA-1 with LCD-3. Of course precision, separation and quality is on another level.

Everybody who is saying that LCD-4 doesn't need very powerful amp is lying or trying to satisfy yourself with his current rig.

I agree!
With the Moon Neo 430, I use high gain at 60 / 80 vol level.
Using the same settings while listening to the LCD3F, HD800, HE1000, PM2 will damage my ear. 

Dec 14, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #5,126 of 11,986

I agree!
With the Moon Neo 430, I use high gain at 60 / 80 vol level.
Using the same settings while listening to the LCD3F, HD800, HE1000, PM2 will damage my ear. 

Your DAC must have a lower output level than mine (Auralic Vega), as when I listen to my LCD-4 (200 ohm) in balanced output on my 430HA, I never exceed about a high gain setting of 50, and if a lot of compression is used in the recording (ie, a solid full output line on the ROON music playback output bar), I seldom exceed about 45, and even then I worry that I might be damaging my hearing!

Dec 14, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #5,127 of 11,986

Your DAC must have a lower output level than mine (Auralic Vega), as when I listen to my LCD-4 (200 ohm) in balanced output on my 430HA, I never exceed about a high gain setting of 50, and if a lot of compression is used in the recording (ie, a solid full output line on the ROON music playback output bar), I seldom exceed about 45, and even then I worry that I might be damaging my hearing!

I am using the Moon's internal DAC.
I am not using the Vega for my headphones setup anymore, moved it to my stereo system.  

Dec 14, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #5,128 of 11,986
Hey Guys,

As a portable travelling solution, how do you think the iFi Micro Ican SE would fair with the LCD-4. It has a max output of 4,000mw at 16 ohms, not sure what it outputs into 200ohms. I would be using my Chord Mojo as the DAC. I think it is the best cheaper portable option I have come across for harder to drive headphones, but I am totally open to suggestions if there is something I have missed. If anyone has experience with the iFi driving the LCD-4 and could chime in, that would be awesome. Thanks!

Dec 14, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #5,129 of 11,986
  Hey Guys,

As a portable travelling solution, how do you think the iFi Micro Ican SE would fair with the LCD-4. It has a max output of 4,000mw at 16 ohms, not sure what it outputs into 200ohms. I would be using my Chord Mojo as the DAC. I think it is the best cheaper portable option I have come across for harder to drive headphones, but I am totally open to suggestions if there is something I have missed. If anyone has experience with the iFi driving the LCD-4 and could chime in, that would be awesome. Thanks!

I'm afraid I don't know the beast, but 4,000mw into 16 ohms should correspond to about 300mw into 200 ohms.  The Moon 430HA has 2000mw into 200ohms, to put that in perspective. Even if 300mws gives adequate punch and volume for the LCD-4, the other question is: how long will the battery last, if it has to go at full tilt all the time?

Dec 14, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #5,130 of 11,986

When I use the 430 with my Dave and LCD-4 I usually am on low gain and listen between 45-60 depending on the recording...the Dave is set as Dac only which is -3DB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back