Audeze LCD-4
Oct 9, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #4,652 of 11,986
And I heard that 3db difference at a recent headphone meet where I and another guy both brought our lcd4s. His were a more recent build than mine. My midrange was a bit more pronounced also and were slightly more efficient. Audeze may have done a slight mod from early 200ohm sets. Both sounded great of course, but the differences were definite.

Oct 10, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #4,653 of 11,986
Disregard what I said about the treble.. 
And I heard that 3db difference at a recent headphone meet where I and another guy both brought our lcd4s. His were a more recent build than mine. My midrange was a bit more pronounced also and were slightly more efficient. Audeze may have done a slight mod from early 200ohm sets. Both sounded great of course, but the differences were definite.

More efficient, and more midrange than another LCD-4.  Those are the two descriptors I would have given the 100ohm compared to the 200ohm.  I know you said they verified, but you may want to measure them.

On a separate note, I just got to the bottom of my treble issues.  I added the Singxer SU-1 to my Audio-gd M11, and turned off the PLL as the dealer suggested.  Treble was fatiguing.  The Amanero USB that comes stock on the M11 also had fatiguing treble.  I went back to stock configuration (reenabled PLL) with the SU-1 connected by i2s and even though the treble is still pronounced, it's super smooth now.  I wouldn't change a thing...  Clearly the LCD-4s will point out any faults you have on your front end.  Tried the LCD-Xs again now that I have my front end sorted out, and they definitely don't keep up with the 4s (IMO).

Oct 10, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #4,654 of 11,986
Disregard what I said about the treble.. 
More efficient, and more midrange than another LCD-4.  Those are the two descriptors I would have given the 100ohm compared to the 200ohm.  I know you said they verified, but you may want to measure them.

On a separate note, I just got to the bottom of my treble issues.  I added the Singxer SU-1 to my Audio-gd M11, and turned off the PLL as the dealer suggested.  Treble was fatiguing.  The Amanero USB that comes stock on the M11 also had fatiguing treble.  I went back to stock configuration (reenabled PLL) with the SU-1 connected by i2s and even though the treble is still pronounced, it's super smooth now.  I wouldn't change a thing...  Clearly the LCD-4s will point out any faults you have on your front end.  Tried the LCD-Xs again now that I have my front end sorted out, and they definitely don't keep up with the 4s (IMO).

Their are too many 200 ohm indicators.
1. I purchased in March AFTER the conversion had already taken place but still early enough to get Cocobolo wood.
2. My dealer and Audeze both confirmed as I insisted that I only wanted the 200 ohmers.
3. The sn# confirms they are 200 ohms.
4. Mine have the new earpads with the pressure relief spacer that only came with the 200 ohm version.
5. The frequency graph tracks other 200 ohm LCDs more so than it does the previous 100 ohm version.

Having said all that, Im not sure why mine sound different than later versions of the 200 LCD-4. I prefer its signature over the newer ones.

Oct 10, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #4,655 of 11,986

Their are too many 200 ohm indicators.
  3. The sn# confirms they are 200 ohms.

Forgive me if this has been covered in the past, but is there a website or range of S/N's one can compare against?  Mine were shipped directly from Audeze (on behalf of Headroom, now Headphone.com) in September 2016, so I'm all but positive they're 200Ω, but it'd be cool to double-check.

- Dave

Oct 10, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #4,656 of 11,986
  Forgive me if this has been covered in the past, but is there a website or range of S/N's one can compare against?  Mine were shipped directly from Audeze (on behalf of Headroom, now Headphone.com) in September 2016, so I'm all but positive they're 200Ω, but it'd be cool to double-check.

- Dave

Audeze posted this information earlier in the thread ... here.

Essentially, if your serial number is 4142270 or higher, then you have the 200Ω driver.

Oct 10, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #4,657 of 11,986

- Dave

Audeze posted this information earlier in the thread ... here.

Essentially, if your serial number is 4142270 or higher, then you have the 200Ω driver.

Thanks!

They don't crank out too many of these, do they?  My S/N is only about 500 higher than the base number you/they referenced. 

- Dave

Oct 10, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #4,658 of 11,986

Thanks!

They don't crank out too many of these, do they?  My S/N is only about 500 higher than the base number you/they referenced. 

- Dave

Even 500 units is $1.5 to 2 million in revenue for a relatively small company..

Oct 12, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #4,659 of 11,986

Thanks!

- Dave

A serial number may not necessary mean a sequence of products made sequentially. It could be a code that manufacturers use to mean anything to them, for example, the first 2 digits may stand for the year, the next 2 the month, and so on... So lets say 01 may actually mean year 2013, we don't know. When a change is made in materials or manufacturing the change code could be embedded in the serial number somewhere but the model number remains the same. Usually, manufacturers don't want their competitors to know how many they made and sold.

Oct 13, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #4,661 of 11,986

Thanks!

- Dave

Adueze confirmed that they changed to 200 ohms from november 2015 didnt they ?

Oct 13, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #4,662 of 11,986

Thanks!

- Dave

Adueze confirmed that they changed to 200 ohms from november 2015 didnt they ?

Torq pointed me to this post from Audeze's official account:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/782442/audeze-lcd-4/2370#post_12335867

dated Feb. 12, 2016, using the wording "In the next few weeks...".  I can't say for sure how long the 200
Ω drivers were in the pipeline.​

- Dave​

Oct 16, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #4,664 of 11,986
looks like a great time although I find the Mojo itself is not powerful enough to drive the LCD-4 properly...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back