Audeze LCD-4
Mar 19, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #2,881 of 11,986
Hm... So what I learn from this thread thus far are..

LCD-4 is grossly priced

People love their He-1k

LCD-4 has nice additional features

And that the next flagship headphones going to be 2x the price of it's previous flagship.

Alright. I'll be back in 6 months to see if there's anything else to add to this list

Mar 19, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #2,882 of 11,986
Hello all,

A direct comparison of the LCD4 @200 Ohm with some Nordic competitors, 2 to 4 times cheaper than him, would be interesting to know (because price, SQ and sensitivity (ease of driving)).

We will have soon the answer when we will have the feedbacks (the listening impressions) during the Parisian meeting organized in Paris, the 16 and 17 April, by a French forum and an large french audio-video distribution chain; will be present, also, at this meeting, the LCD4, the Abyss, the HE-1000?, the Kennerton Odin and the new Kennerton Vali, and the Viva amps (and the new Fostex HP-V8 amp). 

Mar 19, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #2,883 of 11,986
@zolkis - so there's a correct way to evaluate headphones? that sounds rather prescriptive for such a subjective pastime. and how would cultivating our listening skills overcome differences in hearing acuity and personal preference for example? audiophiles with highly cultivated ears have been known to disagree over how a headphone sounds and their opinion of it. i don't see consistency overtaking diversity in this hobby anytime soon. nor do i see the prices for high-end cans going anywhere but up.

Mar 19, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #2,884 of 11,986
nothing wrong with proclaiming your love for the lcd-4 but you've made some questionable assertions as well, which are unlikely to go unchallenged at this or any other headphone forum

Such as? I don't know what kind of system you are using so I can only speak to my own, and I've had almost half a dozen speakerphiles come listen and they more or less agree with exactly what I've said, and the amounts of cash they have tied up in their systems range anywhere from approx. $50K-$600K.

Some people prefer more musical sounding tube amps but my system is full solid state and is as transparent as it gets.

Mar 19, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #2,885 of 11,986
Finally received my LCD-4 after what seemed like an indeterminable wait,I think my order got held up in the switch over to the 200 OHM models
Some Impressions,first of all this is an outstanding HD...very impressive.....I own the HEK,the LCD-3F and the Ether C so i am obviously one of those who goes overboard in this hobby.....I have also heard the HD800,the LCD-X and the Oppo PM-1 so i do have a pretty good frame of reference....

To start,the LCD-4 is less efficient than all of the other HD's I mentioned so do not even bother with them unless you have an amp able to drive them...I am using the Yiggy/Rag combo with them and they do need power in order to perform properly.....
The best way for me to describe the 4's is to refer to them as a more refined LCD-3F....they are more detailed,more spacious...the 3's hit a bit harder and sound a bit more congested and closed in.....the 4's are a touch heavier but are more comfortable...the ear pads seal better and the headband is easier to wear....that said they are still a big heavy HD relative to others

Now let be a bit controversial perhaps...the LCD-3F is a great can,one of the very best i have ever heard....the HEK is a fantastic can and i happen to really enjoy it quite a bit.....the LCD-4 is better than the 3's no doubt about it but is it 2,000 dollars better?well that is where things get a bit complicated.If you have the money laying around the answer is a definite yes but the truth is we really are getting to the point of diminishing returns...when I first heard the 3's I was blown away because to my ears they were a giant step forward and the HEK's were perhaps even better than the 3's but with each new and more expensive new model brought out the improvements are becoming less and less blatant and the decisions more and more difficult....I think we are reaching a point where the improvements are more about the kind of sound you prefer rather than a definitive better or worse...i say this all as one who loves the new LCD-4's and hope to hear others opinions

Let me add,the stock cables that come with the LCD-4 are head and shoulders better than the previous stock cables for the other LCD series....these are outstanding cables that one would buy as third party cables....better all around.......very nice

Mar 19, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #2,887 of 11,986
@zolkis - so there's a correct way to evaluate headphones? that sounds rather prescriptive for such a subjective pastime. and how would cultivating our listening skills overcome differences in hearing acuity and personal preference for example? audiophiles with highly cultivated ears have been known to disagree over how a headphone sounds and their opinion of it. i don't see consistency overtaking diversity in this hobby anytime soon. nor do i see the prices for high-end cans going anywhere but up.

Of course no evaluation will ever be 100% correct (we can't even define 'correct'), but that's weak reason for not even trying to be more exact or more correct in our methods of comparison. Listening skills can be improved, and writing skills, too, at least by mentioning the electric (ancillary equipment) and musical (at least genre) context for the indeed inherently subjective opinions, and it doesn't harm either if people have recent memories on how real instruments sound. There are much more examples when trained ears agree than when they don't -- but of course it can happen. However, even if they happen, that's again not good enough reason for not even trying to improve what is our part in the game.

Mar 19, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #2,889 of 11,986
This thread is all over the place. It really does show you that in the end. It's about what and how you are listening to.

It would be great to have a track or a mix that everyone could download to use to provide an accurate response across the board or spreadsheet once you listen to the track or mix. The only problem that even though you have the same track or mix and the same headphones. We all don't have the same DAC or AMP. It's possible. But maybe have groups with the same equipment do a spreadsheet of what they think then others with a different setup but same equipment do the same thing

This makes more sense in my head. Sorry if it's confusing

Mar 19, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #2,890 of 11,986
Such as? I don't know what kind of system you are using so I can only speak to my own, and I've had almost half a dozen speakerphiles come listen and they more or less agree with exactly what I've said, and the amounts of cash they have tied up in their systems range anywhere from approx. $50K-$600K.

Some people prefer more musical sounding tube amps but my system is full solid state and is as transparent as it gets.

such as "there's literally no comparison" to the lcd-4, it's "easily at least 3x if not 4x the quality and enjoyment of the lcd-3", "in evaluating the performance vs. the lcd-3 and let's assume that $2000 is the normal price for that quality of phone, the lcd-4 would be more appropriately priced at $6000 to $8000".

in response to my comment about the lcd-4's weight you replied "really, because i never heard the kind of complaining about the insanely overpriced and ugly abyss, and that while decent phones they aren't nearly as proficient as the 4'", and "but the lcd4 are at least much more comfortable than the abyss and any other of the lcd phones due to the combo carbon fibre and leather headbands." need i go on?

Mar 19, 2016 at 10:53 PM Post #2,891 of 11,986
  I'm 40-plus pages into this thread and don't know if I can keep going. I've never seen such unseemly whining as I've found here, regarding the price of the LCD-4.

Look, I drive a newish $42,000 Mercedes C-300 4-Matic. It's a nice car. I'm happy with it.

Now, do you think that when I heard that the price of the new Mercedes Maybach S600 is $190,000, I got angry? Do you think I headed over to the Mercedes forum to complain about how "ridiculous" and "greedy" Mercedes is being? Do you think I felt "betrayed"?

I run a business too, just like the good folks at Audeze. You'd better believe that for my top product — nay, for all my products — I charge what the market will bear. Consumers are 100% free to buy it — or to vote with their wallets, buying my more economical offerings instead. Or they can go to the cheaper competition. Good on them. Long live choice. Long live free markets. Entry level value or top-of-the-line quality/exclusivity, it's all good.

If you don't want to plunk down the money for an SR-009, an Abyss, an LCD-4, or for the new $55,000 Sennheiser Orpheus, that's fine. That's your right as a consumer.

Just as you can make a wise choice by staying at the Hilton instead of the Four Seasons (I know I do). It makes no sense to get mad at the Four Seasons for not having rooms that cost $150 a night.

In the real world, these options can and do co-exist quite happily. It's no different in the world of personal audio. Whiners, deal already.

It got awful, I totally agree...and believe it or not, the mods even deleted a good chunk of the worst of it. That's exactly what I was afraid of, and I beleive I even posted these sentiments early in the thread...that when someone comes along interested in learning about this headphone, it's going to be page after page of whining, trolling, and nonsense...it's a shame that we can't have more mature discussions around here sometimes. 

Mar 19, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #2,892 of 11,986
.the LCD-4 is better than the 3's no doubt about it but is it 2,000 dollars better?well that is where things get a bit complicated.

I really like a lot of what you said. In all honesty, whenever I read the feedback from other head-fi'ers, this particular point is completely moot, as far as Im concerned. It's moot because it's always relative. Im a 43 y.o divorced bachelor with no children, and while $4k is a crapload of money to me, it's not even CLOSE to the same as a 28 y.o. male, maybe newly established in his career, couple of kids, a wife, etc. To them, that $4k looks completely different. Much of the time we don't know these sort of personal circumstances, so what may seem like a very small increase in performance not worthy of an extra $2k to one person, might be seen as a worthy investment for someone who is concerned with pushing the fidelity envelope as far as they can, price be damned . We all know the law of diminishing returns kids in long before $4k, so that's a given. But the value each of us places on even a small return in terms of sound quality varies quite widely from listener to listener. 

Mar 19, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #2,893 of 11,986
Of course no evaluation will ever be 100% correct (we can't even define 'correct'), but that's weak reason for not even trying to be more exact or more correct in our methods of comparison. Listening skills can be improved, and writing skills, too, at least by mentioning the electric (ancillary equipment) and musical (at least genre) context for the indeed inherently subjective opinions, and it doesn't harm either if people have recent memories on how real instruments sound. There are much more examples when trained ears agree than when they don't -- but of course it can happen. However, even if they happen, that's again not good enough reason for not even trying to improve what is our part in the game.

then why continue to use the term when there is no "correct" method for subjectively evaluating a headphone beyond putting it on your head and turning the sound on? it doesn't apply and that's my point. sure there are more optimal ways of evaluating headphones such as in a quiet listening room rather than at a noisy meet for instance, and improving our listening skills and how we convey what we are hearing in writing are laudable goals, but that won't make one person's subjective listening impressions any more "correct" than another's. i'm also sceptical of your claim that "there are much more examples when trained ears agree than when they don't". i'd like to see some hard evidence to support that because audiophile publications and forums suggest otherwise from what i've observed.

But the point was about disruption, when someone makes a competitive enough product at much cheaper prices. Although you could argue that TOTL owners are not necessarily after the sound quality but the TOTL-ness. In the latter case, you pay for the price.

well given what we've been witnessing in the high-end segment of the headphone market, i think the kind of disruption that you're hoping for is looking rather forlorn.

Mar 20, 2016 at 5:39 AM Post #2,894 of 11,986
then why continue to use the term when there is no "correct" method for subjectively evaluating a headphone beyond putting it on your head and turning the sound on? it doesn't apply and that's my point. sure there are more optimal ways of evaluating headphones such as in a quiet listening room rather than at a noisy meet for instance, and improving our listening skills and how we convey what we are hearing in writing are laudable goals, but that won't make one person's subjective listening impressions any more "correct" than another's.

Do you by chance make a living on riding on words? The original statement was this: "The competition takes care of your price concerns, we should just be able to correctly evaluate them. So let's focus on the sound quality on this forum. Also, cultivate your listening skills, so that opinions here are more trustable and consistent than yesterday."
Then you go and pick one word, throw away the whole idea for your perception of incorrect wording, then repeat the same point nevertheless.
It would have been more constructive to say "replace 'correct' with 'better' or something like that", but you have to prove smarter.

While in absolute terms 'correct' is impossible to define, the term 'more correct than' is much easier to define. So yes, I sustain there are more correct ways to evaluate a headphone than just putting it on your head and turning on the sound. As said before, including context (ancillary equipment, musical genre, recording, etc), aimed to minimized source variance, and improving our listening skills to notice more things that are heard but not necessarily paid attention to automatically.

i'm also sceptical of your claim that "there are much more examples when trained ears agree than when they don't". i'd like to see some hard evidence to support that because audiophile publications and forums suggest otherwise from what i've observed.
well given what we've been witnessing in the high-end segment of the headphone market, i think the kind of disruption that you're hoping for is looking rather forlorn.

There are many scientific publications dealing with or having sections on correlating measurements with subjective listening. The point that it's possible to improve evaluations by learning doesn't need much defense either. For a narrow example, speech synthesis and audio processing algorithms for speech intelligibility have been using these findings for long time.

Anyway I didn't intend to quote hard evidence on it. My subjective observations on these forums are kind of opposite of yours in the sense that based on what I read, people do seem to hear things in similar way, and when they disagree, to me it seems to be more attributed to different context (music, equipment) and yes, preferences than their auditory perception and cortex. When you put people in the same listening position with the same music, they tend to provide similar evaluations, provided they pass a minimum level of training (which most people who play instruments or go to concerts and have gotten through a few headphones already have).

Yes there are variances even in one person's evaluations, and there are examples when trained ears do disagree - but we better check is it sure did they disagreed in the same context? And if the context is different, is it possible that (figuratively speaking) the information is lost in noise?

My original point was that noise level on these forums is high, and we could learn to do better on it, to provide more correct evaluations in average, whether you like or not the word 'correct'. 

That is the basis why I believe people should strive to give more context to evaluations, and learn to do them better. If I believed this was not possible, and if I believed the only thing needed was just to put on a headphone and turn music on, I wouldn't have bothered reading or writing anything on this forum, other than for amusing myself to death :).

I am fine if you disagree with this, my opinion is not absolute, but your opinion is not absolute either.

Mar 20, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #2,895 of 11,986
I do not own the lcd 4. Looks to me at this point this discussion has become just a philosophical cage fight over said phones' price/performance value. People are free to spend their money any way they so choose and enjoy their kit without others condemning them simply because they have the financial means to buy uber $ gear. Free market capitalism people. Embrace it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back