Audeze LCD-4
Dec 16, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #1,996 of 11,986
Arrogant, Attempt to size you up on entry, Not actually all that knowledgeable.

Pretty much will ignore you unless they think there is a minimum of $20k in play based on how you dress.  I've gone in after a business meeting in a good suit and had immediate help.  Gone in dressed casually after a morning walk and got ignored.

Otherwise, it's a fine establishment.....

If they didn't have a prime location in NYC, they would have been gone a long time ago.  There are better options in the City.

I don't I went in last week looking like a bum in shorts and they were great. I'm going back to listen to a chord Hugo tt. Maybe it was because I came in on a weekday early so no one was there but it seemed fine to me.

Dec 16, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #1,997 of 11,986
For 4K it ought to be lifetime warranty.

Dec 16, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #1,998 of 11,986
For 4K it ought to be lifetime warranty.

I think you could make a case for that. Certainly a very long or lifetime warranty would make a lot more people comfortable to outlay the kind of money being asked for here.

Dec 16, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #1,999 of 11,986
  A few weeks ago I listened to the combo. The TT can't drive the LCD 4.

Sure it can in my experiences! Compares very nicely with my GS-X Mk2 and the LCD-4s. The TT played the LCD-4s very well, plenty loud (and still had a good amount of headroom left).

Dec 16, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #2,000 of 11,986
That is a great amp. Do you think it's a noticeable improvement over the amp in the Hugo tt? Or could you get away with tt standalone?

I do think the LCD-4s sounded a tad better and open (and a bit more authoritative) with the GS-X Mk2, but still, plenty good straight out of my Hugo TT.

Dec 17, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #2,001 of 11,986
I love my LCD-4's, sold all of my other headphones due to lack of use. 

Dec 17, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #2,002 of 11,986
I love my LCD-4's, sold all of my other headphones due to lack of use. 

I expect I'll do the same when I get the LCD-4, keeping only a closed pair to complement them (my Ether C probably leading the pack there so far).

Dec 17, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #2,003 of 11,986
Had anyone else noticed that when you put on and take off the headphones, that you get a "crunchy plastic sound"? Almost like the film is being pulled due the the suction of the cups? It can be replicated on mine by pressing the cups into my head and letting the pads push the cups back off. I found this when testing the clearance of the fazors to my ears. It also happens when I adjust them on my head. When playing music you can't notice it at all. When the background is black I notice it even when I shift my head back and forth. Just want to make sure its not an issue with my headphones.

Dec 17, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #2,004 of 11,986
  Had anyone else noticed that when you put on and take off the headphones, that you get a "crunchy plastic sound"? Almost like the film is being pulled due the the suction of the cups? It can be replicated on mine by pressing the cups into my head and letting the pads push the cups back off. I found this when testing the clearance of the fazors to my ears. It also happens when I adjust them on my head. When playing music you can't notice it at all. When the background is black I notice it even when I shift my head back and forth. Just want to make sure its not an issue with my headphones.

If this is what I think it is, it's normal. It doesn't sound like a crunchy plastic sound to me...it sounds like what it probably is, movement of the sensitive nano-scale diaphragm. If you gently shake the headphone you can hear some movement in there. I don't think it's a problem, certainly not when listening.

Dec 17, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #2,007 of 11,986
Anyone have any different phone numbers for Audeze? The one on their website no one ever answers and they haven't responded to any of my e-mails in 3 days.

Dec 17, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #2,008 of 11,986
If this is what I think it is, it's normal. It doesn't sound like a crunchy plastic sound to me...it sounds like what it probably is, movement of the sensitive nano-scale diaphragm. If you gently shake the headphone you can hear some movement in there. I don't think it's a problem, certainly not when listening.

Its called a Stax fart elsewhere.

Dec 17, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #2,009 of 11,986
I do think the LCD-4s sounded a tad better and open (and a bit more authoritative) with the GS-X Mk2, but still, plenty good straight out of my Hugo TT.

Thanks. I'm considering trading in my Marantz HD-Dac1 and Audeze LCD-3 for a chord Hugo tt and Audeze lcd-4. When I use my Marantz I set it on medium gain and with the lcd 3's generally have the volume at 25% and by 50% it's almost too loud to listen to. I know the chord doesn't have a gain control and someone mentioned the volume is digital or something like that so a gain control is not necessary? When you use the LCD-4s with the Hugo tt on a stand alone basis how would you describe the volume? I know it uses a lighting spectrum but within the lighting spectrum are you similarly at 25-50% or are you basically maxing it out when you listen to it. Thanks for the feedback!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back