Audeze LCD-4
Dec 16, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #1,981 of 11,986
  It looks like I have an LCD-4 driver failure guys
confused_face.gif

Sorry to hear that, I am dealing with an LCD-3 driver failure myself right now. Damn, was hoping that wouldn't still be an issue with the LCD-4 too since  I was thinking about using this time to make the upgrade to the 4 too.

Dec 16, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #1,983 of 11,986
This does not fare well for me that just got one ordered lol.  On the bright side....I do think Audeze has the failures more or less sorted (at least they're fairly sure enough to make comments/announcements regarding it)....so this should be kept at a minimum.  Please do keep us updated on the failure/what Audeze says on this LCD-4.

Dec 16, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #1,984 of 11,986
I'm happy to report no problems as my LCD-4 has been playing literally 24 hours a day since I received it nearly a month ago. That's 624-plus hours of music and pink noise at an average of approximately 80-100 dB with occasional peaks well above that.

Dec 16, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #1,986 of 11,986
I have an LCD-4 on order and would be extraordinarily disappointed if it had a driver failure

Dec 16, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #1,987 of 11,986
  I have an LCD-4 on order and would be extraordinarily disappointed if it had a driver failure

I feel like at this point it's just a matter of time before it happens. I had never had a single problem with Audeze headphones (owned the LCD-2 for about a year, and the LCD-3F for almost 2 now) and had treated them like the expensive items they are. Used them maybe 1-2 hours a day on average and stored them on a Klutz stand when not it use, literally handling them as gently as possible, and eventually the driver still failed. I guess I had kind of thought people were just not taking care of them, but now I see it's just a matter of time really with these headphones. Luckily my LCD-3 is still under warranty, but in another year or so it won't be, and then your subject to failures and will have to pay for the repairs yourself is the part I am now concerned about.

Dec 16, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #1,988 of 11,986

I feel like at this point it's just a matter of time before it happens. I had never had a single problem with Audeze headphones (owned the LCD-2 for about a year, and the LCD-3F for almost 2 now) and had treated them like the expensive items they are. Used them maybe 1-2 hours a day on average and stored them on a Klutz stand when not it use, literally handling them as gently as possible, and eventually the driver still failed. I guess I had kind of thought people were just not taking care of them, but now I see it's just a matter of time really with these headphones. Luckily my LCD-3 is still under warranty, but in another year or so it won't be, and then your subject to failures and will have to pay for the repairs yourself is the part I am now concerned about.

I'm pretty sure the failures aren't related to handling or environmental issues.  I've had 4, and like you, handle them as gently as possible.  My LCD3s are either on the stand or on my head and have never left the house.  I really hope that the resolution is the new batch of film they are utilizing, but in reality, there's no way to know until units with that film stock have been out in the field for a year or more.

At least Audeze restarts the three year warranty when the drivers are serviced, so you have more coverage than you might think.  It will still be a lot better when they finally resolve the issue.....

Dec 16, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #1,990 of 11,986
Are the lcd 4's harder to drive than the lcd 3s? If I am using a chord Hugo tt on a stand alone basis will it be sufficient to drive the lcd 4s or will I need to add a dedicated headphone amp? Thanks

Dec 16, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #1,993 of 11,986
I'm sure that pink noise has made a world of difference.

Not really, no. The 4 sounds just as great as the first day out of the box, no burn-in necessary. Planars don't really need the burn-in that dynamic drivers do to sound their best. It was more of a 30-day workout to make sure I got a solid unit.  Similar to the process of testing a new PC.

Dec 16, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #1,995 of 11,986
I feel like at this point it's just a matter of time before it happens.

I think this is probably correct. If you saw the thread with the 3f teardown it doesn't come as that much of a surprise. I hope the failure rate here is far lower though. They really have to treat buyer's experiencing failures incredibly well at this price point. I think they should send forward replacements so that the owner spends a minimum amount of time without the LCD-4 in their lives. Warranty should really be pretty extended too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back