Audeze LCD-4
Dec 10, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #1,951 of 11,986
If the 4 beats the X that certainly is inspiring me to purchase it but the sad complication is my neck already prevents me listening to the X/XC as often as I would like... it will have to get lighter along with the improved headband before I will be able to pull that trigger.  I will be upgrading my X/XC headbands with the new in vegan as soon as it is available.  I go in for spinal fusion surgery on my C5-6 this Saturday (and he wants to bring me back for disc replacement on C3-4 in 6 months) so everything may change for better or worse. Fingers crossed...

Hope it all goes well for you! My father had almost the same exact surgeries and it helped with his back issues.

Dec 10, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #1,952 of 11,986
Heard the 009 at a meet-up and actually preferred the LCD-X over that and also over the LCD-3/3f and HE-1000 and HD-800 all properly amped.

This is always in the back of my mind when it comes to moving up from the X...more often than not, I'm thinking I should just be happy (thrilled, actually) that I've found a headphone that I love as much as the X, shut up and enjoy it lol. Hopefully I can arrange an audition of the 4 just to compare, and then see if it's a good upgrade for me. There is just literally *nothing* I find lacking in the X in terms of my preferences.

Dec 10, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #1,953 of 11,986

Heard the 009 at a meet-up and actually preferred the LCD-X over that and also over the LCD-3/3f and HE-1000 and HD-800 all properly amped.

This is always in the back of my mind when it comes to moving up from the X...more often than not, I'm thinking I should just be happy (thrilled, actually) that I've found a headphone that I love as much as the X, shut up and enjoy it lol. Hopefully I can arrange an audition of the 4 just to compare, and then see if it's a good upgrade for me. There is just literally *nothing* I find lacking in the X in terms of my preferences.

Do you prefer listening to EDM etc.? I'm looking for a good headphone for EDM and other modern music.

Dec 10, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #1,954 of 11,986
  LCD-X over HE-1000?     It seems that your likes lean to the hard hitting and not polite side of the spectrum.

For electronic the Lcd-x is sublime, especially out of my Pavane/Teton. My 007mk1 and hd800 best it in most categories, open soundstage, imaging, detail etc. Still the X has a full sound and authoritative bass that keeps it in the rotation and it is my fav. with electronic and rap. Also the he-1000, and all hfm headphones for that matter, suffer from poor build quality, at least to me.

Sound it the most important category to me but comfort and build quality comes in a close second and third.   

Dec 10, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #1,955 of 11,986
Do you prefer listening to EDM etc.? I'm looking for a good headphone for EDM and other modern music.

Yep, I love it. I only really started listening to it a couple years ago, but I've added quite a bit of great stuff from Berlin, along with some more specific chillstep and trance stuff. It's one of my favorite genres now, even though I can't really say a whole lot of intelligent stuff about it. I'm still learning about the artists, different sub-genres, etc...but I love it. Agree with Jibzilla that the X is fantastic for EDM and it's associated types.

Dec 10, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #1,957 of 11,986
^^ What are some of your favorite tracks in those genres?

It's easier for me to list by artist, to be honest...Usually I just put on my EDM playlist while I'm online or chilling out after work...I dont often cross-reference the track names with the artist.

In my CD collection I listen to mainly: ATB, DeadMau5, Skrillex, Ulrich Schnauss, Daft Punk, Max Graham, Massive Attack, etc

PS. There is a series on Amazon called "The Sound of Berlin - Deep Edition" that I love...I have a few of those compliations, as well.

Dec 10, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #1,959 of 11,986
  In my CD collection I listen to mainly: ATB, DeadMau5, Skrillex, Ulrich Schnauss, Daft Punk, Max Graham, Massive Attack, etc

Of those, I'd pick Daft Punk, U. Schnauss and Massive Attack as favorites.  Check out the latest from artists Boards of Canada and Loscil, they're on my daily chill list.

Dec 10, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #1,960 of 11,986

Of those, I'd pick Daft Punk, U. Schnauss and Massive Attack as favorites.  Check out the latest from artists Boards of Canada and Loscil, they're on my daily chill list.

Thanks, I appreciate that...will check them out for sure. I'm fascinated by this type of music...it has an emotional impact on me more than most other genres.

Dec 10, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #1,961 of 11,986

Thanks, I appreciate that...will check them out for sure. I'm fascinated by this type of music...it has an emotional impact on me more than most other genres.

The original ambassadors of Audeze was the who's who of dnb producers. Some of my faves in electronic are skynet, usual suspects, tech itch, lee coombs, meat Katie, electric skychurch, Fabio and grooverider, loxy and ink, total science, Aphrodite, dj icey, baby anne, ak1200, keri chandler, joe claussell, louie vega and many others the X loves it.  

Dec 10, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #1,962 of 11,986

I doubt it...the GS-X Mk2 is VERY good at showing me what the HD800s are capable of and anything else would be a colouration of what's there. I've heard them on some great other amps as well (both tube and SS through the years). Amps can't make up for the differences between the HD800s (which I hold in VERY high regard) and my top 3. Transducers can only make up this difference.

I've been to several Head-Fi meets and the best setup I have heard so far with the HD800 is the setup by Mr. Speakers himself,
Computer Audio>Schiit Yggy DAC>Woo Audio WA5 (Sophia Royal Princess tubes >$1000 each) it was awesome, but real expensive.

That being said the HE1000 and the GSX-mK2 was superb

I love the LCD-3F (my favorite hands down with Rock) and the HD800 with the GSX-mK2, just a great all around solid state amp.

I can't wait to hear the LCD-4

Dec 11, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #1,963 of 11,986

You already own one of the best headphones for all things electronic ........ TH-900

Dec 11, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #1,965 of 11,986
I love the LCD-3F (my favorite hands down with Rock)

Yes! I had an some aha moments with these though a Chord Hugo TT . Periphery - Alpha sounded great. 65daysofstatic - Prism, Tool - Vicarious, ATRS - Operate, Get High, Nora Jones - Humble Me, Kings of Convenience - Home Sick, Vector Lovers - Piano Dust were some of my test tracks.

Anyway Cavalli Liquid Carbon amp, Chord 2qute DAC, Dragon cables, and an LCD-3F should be waiting under the tree this year. Also mini shout out to Drew Baird at Moon Audio for emailing back and forth this week answering various questions and through my purchase process.

@ Obsidyen if you want musical mids, great bass' and polite - non fatiguing treble you should demo the LCD-3f. FYI my demo session involved the LCD 2 3 X and HD800s. The X and 3s were my favorites. I liked the 3s for their volume scaling, imaging, and tonality just a bit better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back