Audeze LCD-4
Oct 14, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #9,841 of 11,986
It really doesn’t matter if you volume match SPL.
I will fully disagree. An elevation in the 3khz range will not effect how I hear bass and sub bass. Besides, I, and many other LCD owners, will use EQ to approximate the Harman target. In such a situation, factors like bass texture / speed and sub bass performance will outweigh the small differences in tuning.

When I do my comparison later today, both the LCD-MX4 and LCD-5 will be EQ'd to similar tonalities. I will tune the amps so that the bass frequencies have equal SPL, and when playing music, the average / max SPL in song will also be equal. This testing setup is the best way to accurately judge bass performance with the most credibility, and without leaving too many other factors to chance.

Oct 14, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #9,842 of 11,986
I will fully disagree. An elevation in the 3khz range will not effect how I hear bass and sub bass. Besides, I, and many other LCD owners, will use EQ to approximate the Harman target. In such a situation, factors like bass texture / speed and sub bass performance will outweigh the small differences in tuning.

When I do my comparison later today, both the LCD-MX4 and LCD-5 will be EQ'd to similar tonalities. I will tune the amps so that the bass frequencies have equal SPL, and when playing music, the average / max SPL in song will also be equal. This testing setup is the best way to accurately judge bass performance with the most credibility, and without leaving too many other factors to chance.
Ok good luck making them sound the same using approximation and then making an objective and informed decision.

Oct 14, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #9,843 of 11,986
I haven’t compared them myself but this is pretty much what is gathered from the reviews.

The 4 and 5 are two different flavours.
One has the thick creamy sound the other a more neutral detailed one.

For that reason I expect the LCD-4 to be still desired in the future.

Pretty much from what I've gathered from the few reviews out there on the LCD5. I remember the day when I audition the 4 at the shop with Chord Qutest > Auris Nirvana > LCD4, that's when I knew I wanted the 4.

Today I've 2 very different sounding headphones but I love them for what they are. There will more headphones in the future I'm sure but for now I'm enjoying these very much.

IMG_2797 (1).jpg

Oct 14, 2021 at 10:20 PM Post #9,845 of 11,986
I’ve owned many of the TOTL headphones and the LCD4 has lasted the longest. I enjoy what it does and have no plans to get rid of it. I will continue to add headphones to my stable but the LCD4 will always have a place. The mids and thick thunderous bass is oh so special.

Oct 16, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #9,846 of 11,986
They play well across all genres and are now even bettter with the 2021 pads

Hi,
Can you develop about the 2021 pads?
Did you swap your original pads for them? If the answer is yes, could you tell what the changes are? Do we have some curves/measurements?

Fan of the LCD-4 here, bought mine in 2017 and still one of my favourite headphones.
Very fond of their warm and creamy sound, big soundstage, never fatiguing, but still very detailed and dynamic. Not to mention they are absolutely beautiful (even if my dark makassar is not the most exciting wood...).
Was very disappointed when I saw the LCD-5 was not an evolution from what I loved about the 4 but a completely different headphone.

Oct 16, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #9,847 of 11,986
No graphs or measurements, just my ears. I’ve been listening to my lcd -4 with the original pads for several years now and when I changed to the new pads, I heard the differences right away. Nothing dramatic, but still significant. With the new pads, they sound more open without losing any familiar qualities. Just more of everything. Tighter bass, a bit more bite, more air, less muffled, more texture. All small additives but they add up to an improved sound. I find them to be perfect now, although I never had any real complaints before.

Oct 17, 2021 at 3:36 AM Post #9,848 of 11,986
After a month of owning the LCD-4s, I don't think I've owned another headphone that just "hits home" for me the way that they do. I've also never known the sonic benefits from EQ'ing until now, but it's no hindrance, really, as the 4's take to EQ perfectly. I plan on purchasing the LCD-5 in a few months when I have funds, but will be keeping the LCD-4 because I appreciate so much the planar tech that went into making what was Audeze's best offering for so long. Also, I don't think I've had as many "WOW" moments from another headphone, like ever!

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2021 at 7:24 AM Post #9,849 of 11,986
Thanks Hifi59 for your answer!
Sounds like a good upgrade but I'm not sure I'd like to get more "bite" from my LCD-4, I love their smooth and relaxed sound. I listen to them without any EQ.
I'd probably take a try if there was a swapping system like with the Empyrean or the Utopia, but with the glue system used by Audeze, any swapping will be more or less permanent, or at least, for a long time.

Oct 17, 2021 at 7:50 AM Post #9,850 of 11,986
After a month of owning the LCD-4s, I don't think I've owned another headphone that just "hits home" for me the way that they do. I've also never known the sonic benefits from EQ'ing until now, but it's no hindrance, really, as the 4's take to EQ perfectly. I plan on purchasing the LCD-5 in a few months when I have funds, but will be keeping the LCD-4 because I appreciate so much the planar tech that went into making what was Audeze's best offering for so long. Also, I don't think I've had as many "WOW" moments from another headphone, like ever!
Have you considered Audeze's trade in program?

Oct 17, 2021 at 7:59 AM Post #9,851 of 11,986
I probably would, but I dont have the funds right now for the $2,500 I'd need to trade the secondhand pair I have, and the program expires Nov 30th. I'm still honeymooning my LCD-4s atm honestly lol

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #9,853 of 11,986
Thanks Hifi59 for your answer!
Sounds like a good upgrade but I'm not sure I'd like to get more "bite" from my LCD-4, I love their smooth and relaxed sound. I listen to them without any EQ.
I'd probably take a try if there was a swapping system like with the Empyrean or the Utopia, but with the glue system used by Audeze, any swapping will be more or less permanent, or at least, for a long time.
I too do not EQ. When I said “more bite” I meant it in the best of ways and it’s a subtle benefit. The new pads do no harm at all to all those positive attributes that we all love about the LCD-4s. The new pads only subtly enhance those attributes. Removing the old pads and installing the new ones was a 5 minute process. Watch the Audeze video. It’s that easy. When you tear of the old ones, this is what you’ll see but I’ve already applied the included half moon spacers. Their purpose is to reduce resonance. The glue ring is already attached to the new pads and has

Attachments

• 25B0AB4E-44C2-4EA3-B147-521880CD793C.jpeg
    25B0AB4E-44C2-4EA3-B147-521880CD793C.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 15E08A78-1FC0-4370-B3A7-6A3F5EA2F73F.jpeg
    15E08A78-1FC0-4370-B3A7-6A3F5EA2F73F.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • A546601B-F6BA-4C68-A217-B653EAA4C8E7.jpeg
    A546601B-F6BA-4C68-A217-B653EAA4C8E7.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 18, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #9,854 of 11,986
DangIt! I just read your post. Was unaware of the trade in program. I have LCD 4s direct from Audeze that are a year old. Never been moved and played through really good system. Now I'm going to have to take a look...

Oct 19, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #9,855 of 11,986
I’ve owned many of the TOTL headphones and the LCD4 has lasted the longest. I enjoy what it does and have no plans to get rid of it. I will continue to add headphones to my stable but the LCD4 will always have a place. The mids and thick thunderous bass is oh so special.
Good to hear QC issues have been fixed in recent years

Users who are viewing this thread

Back