Audeze LCD-4
Jun 5, 2019 at 9:28 AM Post #7,651 of 11,986
I changed out the pads myself. I did not know that I could lose the warranty by doing so. Not happy about that at all. However too late. The new pads are somewhat more comfortable (to me).
I do not detect any big changes in SQ to speak of. Would I do it again knowing I could void the warranty? Absolutely not. Fortunately I do not see evidence of having harmed the drivers. BUT if
I have problems in the future, I will be screwed. Hopefully I will not have driver problems in the future, but if I do, will likely just have to buy a new headphone with the cost of these driver repairs.
SO guys, better think about it before attempting to do the swap yourself. It is not difficult to do, but the point being "Is it worth it to do this?" Absolutely not. And if sending to Audeze so they can
do it, is it still worth the cost to do so? I don't think so. My opinion though for what ever that is worth... Prolly not much.

Sorry about that, bro! I still have the three sets of Dekoni pads I purchased (hybrid, sheepskin, fenestrated sheepskin) sitting on my desk unused, not because of any last minute wisdom I acquired upon receiving them, but because I got intimidated by the apparent sheer daunting nature of the task of removing the stock pads, and other possible unknowns that might be involved in doing the swaps. What I am finding out now is this : If one has to return these cans to Audeze whenever one wants to change the pads, then no multiple experimental swaps are practically or logistically feasible, unless of course, one opts for the DIY route with all its related risks. The irony is that multiple and experimental swaps are exactly what I was planning to do, until I find out which pads make my LCD-4 and LCD-X sound best, but I guess that project is a "no-go" now.

Lesson learned, except that I do not know what to do with the pads I got. I may try to sell them, or set them aside as future replacements of my current stock pads, if and when needed, but I really don't know when I shall need those. Still, all of this sound a little trivial at the moment, because I have never really been unhappy with the stock pads, as they are.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #7,652 of 11,986
I would not like to accuse Audeze of a little touch of CYA in the event of the rare hamhanded individual who screws something up, but changing the pads on my LCD-4 was an easy 5 minute task with no consequence. Apparently YMMV.

Jun 5, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #7,653 of 11,986
Sorry about that, bro! I still have the three sets of Dekoni pads I purchased (hybrid, sheepskin, fenestrated sheepskin) sitting on my desk unused, not because of any last minute wisdom I acquired upon receiving them, but because I got intimidated by the apparent sheer daunting nature of the task of removing the stock pads, and other possible unknowns that might be involved in doing the swaps. What I am finding out now is this : If one has to return these cans to Audeze whenever one wants to change the pads, then no multiple experimental swaps are practically or logistically feasible, unless of course, one opts for the DIY route with all its related risks. The irony is that multiple and experimental swaps are exactly what I was planning to do, until I find out which pads make my LCD-4 and LCD-X sound best, but I guess that project is a "no-go" now.

Lesson learned, except that I do not know what to do with the pads I got. I may try to sell them, or set them aside as future replacements of my current stock pads, if and when needed, but I really don't know when I shall need those. Still, all of this sound a little trivial at the moment, because I have never really been unhappy with the stock pads, as they are.
They have no problem with the public doing the X, but not the 4. This is because of the spacer, which is in the 4. If you screw that up and damage the driver, it going to cost you. Now for me, I am thinking long term, knowing this and driver failures of the past, even though the spacers are supposed to cure this, I am doubtful I would now buy a used 4 or 4z. $1,200 is a lot of spare change to pay if there is a driver issue. The X drivers are $500.

Jun 5, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #7,654 of 11,986
They have no problem with the public doing the X, but not the 4. This is because of the spacer, which is in the 4. If you screw that up and damage the driver, it going to cost you. Now for me, I am thinking long term, knowing this and driver failures of the past, even though the spacers are supposed to cure this, I am doubtful I would now buy a used 4 or 4z. $1,200 is a lot of spare change to pay if there is a driver issue. The X drivers are $500.

Buying used is not an issue as long as the warranty is still in place. Audeze gives 3 years and allows one transfer. So long as everything is done by the book, there’s no issue. Also, it’s not like you can’t send them to Audeze and have them change the earpads. That’s what I did.

Jun 5, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #7,655 of 11,986
I made darn sure those felt spacers were in place as stock. Not seeing any issues at all with how they are working, have over a hundred hours on them since changing out the pads so if I was going to see an y problems, should have seen it by now.

Jun 5, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #7,656 of 11,986
Buying used is not an issue as long as the warranty is still in place. Audeze gives 3 years and allows one transfer. So long as everything is done by the book, there’s no issue. Also, it’s not like you can’t send them to Audeze and have them change the earpads. That’s what I did.
Well I am talking about buying used near the end of the warranty period. If the new owner has it from 6 months to a year out he may be out of warranty. Now this is not as bad as paying $2K for the Utopia drivers, but Focal has stepped up and are now giving a 5 year transferable warranty as long as you have the original sales receipt.

Jun 5, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #7,657 of 11,986
Well I am talking about buying used near the end of the warranty period. If the new owner has it from 6 months to a year out he may be out of warranty. Now this is not as bad as paying $2K for the Utopia drivers, but Focal has stepped up and are now giving a 5 year transferable warranty as long as you have the original sales receipt.

Good on Focal. It’s nice to see a company step up and take care of their customers.

Jun 7, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #7,658 of 11,986
Hey guys,

After some careful listening, I decided that the LCD-4s were really good, but it was like driving a Challenger Hellcat every day. Really fun and awesome, but fatiguing on both the body and the wallet. I am selling mine, with hopes of getting something more relaxing in terms of comfort and sound signature. It is truly the most technically superior and awesome headphone, the best I have owned, and possibly the world again comparing it to an automobile, I think I could stick with something more like a casual V6 Challenger. Not the raw awesome experience. Some can handle it daily, but I don't think I could do it quite yet.

Thanks for reading.

Jun 7, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #7,661 of 11,986
Hello,

Probably the illusion of being fatiguing due to the weight for me at least. I truly do love and enjoy them, but they aren't for me. I am very happy for all those who disagree with me and have found a part of their "endgame", but I might have just gotten used to some other cans I guess. Audeze still and always will have a special place in my heart, but the LCD-4s are also taking quite a bit of funds as well. It certainly won't be "good riddance" LCD-4s, but more of a mutual respect and honor for them, to have experienced the Audeze flagship. They are truly the greatest planars, and possibly greatest cans I have heard. But again, not quite my cup of tea. Not sure if it was because I got used to my Sonys after a few years, or if it was because of the weight. I had aluminum LCD-2s with the old sytle headband, so I didn't think the 4s would be that heavy. If I wore them while laying down it was like having my own speakers in bed. I am not saying I hate them or that I won't miss them, but I guess I might have liked others better.

Thanks for reading.

Jun 8, 2019 at 2:20 AM Post #7,662 of 11,986
Hey guys,

After some careful listening, I decided that the LCD-4s were really good, but it was like driving a Challenger Hellcat every day. Really fun and awesome, but fatiguing on both the body and the wallet. I am selling mine, with hopes of getting something more relaxing in terms of comfort and sound signature. It is truly the most technically superior and awesome headphone, the best I have owned, and possibly the world again comparing it to an automobile, I think I could stick with something more like a casual V6 Challenger. Not the raw awesome experience. Some can handle it daily, but I don't think I could do it quite yet.

Thanks for reading.

Mr. Speakers Ether Flow 1.1 or Ether 2 is what you need. Either choice is a solid daily driver and way lighter; TBH, I don't think you should the 4's, just buy a used set of 1.1s and you'll be fine.

Jun 11, 2019 at 3:57 AM Post #7,664 of 11,986
Greetings to all.

@Softable : I understand your point of view but it is a pity that you can not enjoy the best of the market (in my humble opinion) like I do. I have no problems with them, they are magical. I'm very lucky, I know.

@jlbrach : 100% agree, I enjoy any kind of MUSIC without realizing the passage of time.

Best regards.
C.K.

Jun 11, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #7,665 of 11,986
@ChijiroKuro I truly agree with you that they are the best headphones in the market. They turn every song into an instrumental with so much depth and musicality like no other pair of headphones can. I will probably buy a pair of LCD-4z headphones in the future when I have a bit more funds, and when the price on them comes down a bit. For now, I will settle with what I have enjoyed in the past. It is bittersweet really, selling them. They are so good, look really aesthetically pleasing, and are the flagship of the headphone market IMO. (From what I have heard at least. Still have to go to the Sennheiser store in SF and try the Orpheus :wink:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back