Audeze LCD-4
May 3, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #7,636 of 11,986
Hi all,

i currently have a Auris Ha2-se tube headphone with Lcdx headphones. I'm thinking of getting the lcd4's and wonder if anyone has had both of these headphones and could give me some feedback on their impressions?

Cheers

May 9, 2019 at 9:18 PM Post #7,637 of 11,986
I have had both. I absolutely loved the LCD-X when I had them and every time I upgraded my gear they got better. But all I can say is the LCD-4 just puts the X to shame. The LCD-4 is like the amalgamation of all of the best parts of the Audeze line up tied into one headphone perfectly. They are absolutely fantastic. If you are truly interested in getting a pair let me know as I am about to return mine but would rather sell them to someone who would find use and love for them like I did.

At this point your probably wondering if I love them so much why am I getting rid of them. Truth is that I got into the stupid expensive electrostatic game and have found that I simply just don't listen to or want to listen to anything else right now. Hell I just bought a pair of Ether 2's a couple weeks ago before my stat amp came in and now Im selling those too.

But yes if you enjoy your X you will enjoy the 4 a great deal more. No question about it.

May 9, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #7,638 of 11,986
You can read all the awesome things I have said about them on this forum before I got my Carbon amp just so you know what I really think of them. Before stats I believed them the most perfect headphones ever. I chose them of the Focal Utopias with ease.

May 26, 2019 at 11:51 PM Post #7,640 of 11,986
is it still a good choice?
can someone compare it to zmf verite or ether2?
thx
I think it is a fantastic choice, although I can't compare it to the cans you have mentioned. I can compare it to others in a similar league from Hifiman, or Sennheiser, or Beyerdynamic. But most importantly, I know it is a fantastic choice, because it reminds me of its awesomeness everyday, when I place it on my head and turn my tunes on... No comparisons can beat that, in my view.

Of course, YMMV:):):)

Last edited:
May 28, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #7,641 of 11,986
I am an LCD-4 owner and would love to get the Dekoni earpads but know of the issue with the spacer. Someone (and cannot for the life of me find the post) posted they had replaced the earpads on the LCD-4 without issue and there was a video posted on how to deal with the spacers. Could someone provide that information/link again - or PM me with it? I find the sheepskin Dekoni earpads preferable to the oem ones..Thanks.

May 28, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #7,642 of 11,986
I had no issues replacing my earpads. The only reason it took longer than 5 minutes was attempting to preserve the originals if I wanted to use them again. It was remove old pad, peel off the adhesive cover, align and press. Done! I replaced the stock pads with the Elite Hybrid pads. Not much difference sonically but much more comfortable.

May 28, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #7,643 of 11,986
Just an FYI, I recently replaced my pads with Dekoni earpads on my 4Z, and I didn’t find it hard to do at all. But I had been conversing with Audeze because I didn’t like the clamping force of the carbon fiber headband. So they let me try out the spring steel headband, and sure enough, it clamps less and is more comfortable.

BUT while I was talking to customer support about that, I mentioned that I liked the Dekoni pads more than the stock pads. And then the rep told me we’re not supposed to change the pads ourselves, that it can damage the drivers, and that it can void the warranty!

So since my 4Z are brand new, the last thing I wanted to do was void the warranty. So they had me send my 4Z to them, and Audeze is going to, personally, install my new pads for me to make sure it is all done correctly and thereby making sure my warranty is not voided.

Anyway, just sharing that with you all. If you’re pad rolling, then tread with caution.

And no, there is nothing posted on their website about that, I brought that up and the rep said it’s never been an issue because most people are perfectly happy with the stock pads. And I was like, “We’re audiophiles, we love to tweak, tinker, and explore options. You need to formally address this somewhere on your website.”

Will they do that? I have no idea. But feel free to call them to verify all of this. They didn’t say if it also applied to the 4. But I thought I’d post this here just in case.

May 28, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #7,645 of 11,986
Just an FYI, I recently replaced my pads with Dekoni earpads on my 4Z, and I didn’t find it hard to do at all. But I had been conversing with Audeze because I didn’t like the clamping force of the carbon fiber headband. So they let me try out the spring steel headband, and sure enough, it clamps less and is more comfortable.

BUT while I was talking to customer support about that, I mentioned that I liked the Dekoni pads more than the stock pads. And then the rep told me we’re not supposed to change the pads ourselves, that it can damage the drivers, and that it can void the warranty!

So since my 4Z are brand new, the last thing I wanted to do was void the warranty. So they had me send my 4Z to them, and Audeze is going to, personally, install my new pads for me to make sure it is all done correctly and thereby making sure my warranty is not voided.

Anyway, just sharing that with you all. If you’re pad rolling, then tread with caution.

And no, there is nothing posted on their website about that, I brought that up and the rep said it’s never been an issue because most people are perfectly happy with the stock pads. And I was like, “We’re audiophiles, we love to tweak, tinker, and explore options. You need to formally address this somewhere on your website.”

Will they do that? I have no idea. But feel free to call them to verify all of this. They didn’t say if it also applied to the 4. But I thought I’d post this here just in case.
Wow, thanks for sharing. Are Audeze doing this free of charge? Was thinking about doing the same to my X’s but now I guess not.

May 28, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #7,647 of 11,986
So for the pad swap, you didn't remove/reuse a spacer pad from the originals? Or did you not worry about it since you used the hybrid which breathes more and would not pose an issue with the possible vacuum caused by removing the headphones?

I did not see any spacer. No mention by Dekoni. Everything went smoothly.

May 28, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #7,648 of 11,986
Those felt spacers are in there. Pulling the stock pads leaves them there in a gummy mess. I sure hope I didnt screw the pooch by swapping out the pads re the warranty void. That will really suck. I wish I had just left the stock pads there but at least it is a bit more comfortable.

Jun 5, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #7,649 of 11,986

Just to add to what you mentioned. I spoke with Audeze support and they mentioned, only on the 4 and 4z, that if you want to change pads it’s best to have them do it. If you damage one of the drivers the repair charge will be $1,200 plus the cost of new pads. So as Hifi mentioned here, let them do it. Oh, they also mentioned the pads for the 4 and 4z are the same. No difference.

Jun 5, 2019 at 8:25 AM Post #7,650 of 11,986
I changed out the pads myself. I did not know that I could lose the warranty by doing so. Not happy about that at all. However too late. The new pads are somewhat more comfortable (to me).
I do not detect any big changes in SQ to speak of. Would I do it again knowing I could void the warranty? Absolutely not. Fortunately I do not see evidence of having harmed the drivers. BUT if
I have problems in the future, I will be screwed. Hopefully I will not have driver problems in the future, but if I do, will likely just have to buy a new headphone with the cost of these driver repairs.
SO guys, better think about it before attempting to do the swap yourself. It is not difficult to do, but the point being "Is it worth it to do this?" Absolutely not. And if sending to Audeze so they can
do it, is it still worth the cost to do so? I don't think so. My opinion though for what ever that is worth... Prolly not much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back