Audeze LCD-4
Jan 18, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #7,321 of 11,986
Was just browsing the Audeze website; looks like they have changed the recommended power requirements for their LCD line.

The LCD-4 carries a recommendation of >500mW instead of the old 1-4W.

Jan 30, 2019 at 2:57 AM Post #7,322 of 11,986
I am not picking on the Dave here, because this happens with every amp, all have limitations. Run out probably wasn't the best term to use, limited probably is better (as Rob used). When I said it will run out, I was speaking in general terms, not for the 4z or the 4 or anything else as I have no idea when this will happen for specific gear, but at some impedance level it will happen since we don't have an endless supply of voltage and current. I was trying to make the point that amplifier power performance varies with impedance and why this is so, as I am sure you know but just so as to answer the original question. To clear things up a bit, Dave's limits are 0.5A max current at some impedance level and 6.8V max volts at some impedance level. If the gear works happily within these limits, then no problems in terms power, especially as the Dave has almost zero output impedance. At say 200 ohms, Dave is limited to 231mW, at that point the voltage will probably start to clip as we cannot supply anymore, and the distortion will go up very very quickly. Note, that if you needed 112dB SPL, it will run out and never get there or it will with lots of distortion. A different amp might be able to produce 1231mW at 200 ohms, it has a different limit but still limited. At 15 ohms it does 3W, so power varies greatly with impedance for amps. Regardless what impedance you choose it will always be limited, not enough volts or current can be supplied at some point (not relating it to any specific gear). I think I and some others were arguing in terms of how the gear was affected and you were arguing in terms of purely SPL requirements, that is where the confusion arose I think. Reading the original question again now, I believe it was in fact about SPL as you answered it. BTW, nice to have Rob around to answer all the questions.

Dave is a very interesting case though, it is probably the best DAC and amp out there, seems to have enough power, but just doesn't rise to the level of even of some way less qualified gear with the LCD4 (for me anyway). With my LCD3, the Dave was one of the best I have heard, it was just a little bit too dark but otherwise great. It didn't have any of the issues like I hear with the LCD4. What I hear with LCD4 does sound to me like its a power issue yet the CMA800R I use now has about the exact same amount of power yet sounds fantastic. So I can't explain it, maybe just that synergy thing again. I do hear a lot of others complain about the same thing and it is fixable by adding an external amp, yes it adds a flavor but things come alive. The TT2 may give some further clues. I got to listen to the TT2 but no LCD4 around just a HD820. Sadly it was easily out classed by the Dave for me so I am looking forward to the Dave replacement one day. I will try to test the TT2 with the 4 at some point though because who knows in this audio game, I hear if you put a brick on top it sounds better.

Came across this when I was doing a word search. I have the LCD 3 with the Bakoon HP01 and it's an amazing pairing. Compared to having the LCD3 straight on the Hugo 2, it sounds like a recording where it seems to have a hard time playing back the music. On the Bakoon, the devices seems to disappear and create this realistic performance. Granted, my IC and Audeze cable is 24awg solid silver and Rhodium plugs that can help in the performance.

Feb 11, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #7,324 of 11,986
Does anyone still have a working 100-ohm version of the LCD-4? I was just able to acquire a used pair and there's a definite improvement in clarity and instrument compared to my LCD-3, but the 100-ohm driver failure issue concerns me a lot...I've been handling these headphones like a newborn baby. The price was good enough that I figured I could just have Audeze upgrade to the 200-ohm drivers if these ever failed, and still have paid a decent price for a used LCD-4. But I'm curious to see if all 100-ohm drivers have failed, or if some are still alive and kicking.

Feb 11, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #7,325 of 11,986
Does anyone still have a working 100-ohm version of the LCD-4? I was just able to acquire a used pair and there's a definite improvement in clarity and instrument compared to my LCD-3, but the 100-ohm driver failure issue concerns me a lot...I've been handling these headphones like a newborn baby. The price was good enough that I figured I could just have Audeze upgrade to the 200-ohm drivers if these ever failed, and still have paid a decent price for a used LCD-4. But I'm curious to see if all 100-ohm drivers have failed, or if some are still alive and kicking.

The failure still occurs with the 200 Ohm version. Probably not as often though. Never take them on a plane or ship them via air. Mine (200 Ohm) had a driver fail during shipment via air. The buyer then accused me of trying to get rid of a broken pair even though they were still under warranty. Ridiculously expensive headphones such as these shouldn't break so easily.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #7,326 of 11,986
The failure still occurs with the 200 Ohm version. Probably not as often though. Never take them on a plane or ship them via air. Mine (200 Ohm) had a driver fail during shipment via air. The buyer then accused me of trying to get rid of a broken pair even though they were still under warranty. Ridiculously expensive headphones such as these shouldn't break so easily.

Welp not really sure how mine was shipped, but it wasn't dead on arrival, so I think that's a good sign? Good to know if I ever want to resell, I'll keep to ground services only with copious insurance.

Feb 11, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #7,327 of 11,986
How do you think Audeze ships out worldwide...by ship? Has nothing to do with shipping. Had 3 driver failures so far(had 6 different LCDs) and all repairs were shipped back to New Zealand by plane.

Feb 11, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #7,330 of 11,986
And I am on my 3rd LCD(2f, X, 4) without a problem one. Go figure!

That's what throws me off. People experiencing driver failures are bound to be more vocal than those who have never had any issues. I've also had multiple LCD series headphones over the years without any driver problems. The only time Audeze has made an official announcement regarding driver problems is with the 100-ohm version of the LCD-4 and then offered free upgrades to the 200-ohm version.

I'm worried that I just have a ticking time bomb as others have suggested in the past about the 100-ohm version, so I'm curious to know if anyone with the "failure-prone" version has bucked the trend, so to say.

Feb 11, 2019 at 7:46 PM Post #7,331 of 11,986
@wenbinbin2010 - I’ve had the LCD2r2, X, and 4 (100 ohm upgraded to 200 ohm) and never had a failure per se. The 4 is on its way to have the right driver checked since it has a rubber band rattle sound on strong bass notes. I doubt yours is a ticking time bomb, but they added felt between the pad and housing to reduce pressure on the diaphragm when switching to the 200 ohm. I think that’s a pretty good indicator that it was at least partially the culprit. If you don’t get the felt, I would suggest putting the phones on and taking them off very slowly to avoid abrupt pressure changes. I would also avoid moving them around a lot or pushing in on the housing once they’re on your head. I recall the LCD4 without the felt creating a very tight seal which will transfer any movements to the diaphragm.

Feb 11, 2019 at 7:47 PM Post #7,332 of 11,986
Didn't want to sound negative because the Lcd-3 and 4 are my favorite headphones and customer service is outstanding. Two out of my driver failures were under warranty...no questions asked. One was outside of warranty and rather expensive incl.shipping both ways.
Also, I am to blame for at least one of the faulty drivers and it taught me a lesson. Never leave the headphone connected to the switched off amp with the volume up...and then switch on!

Feb 11, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #7,333 of 11,986
Didn't want to sound negative because the Lcd-3 and 4 are my favorite headphones and customer service is outstanding. Two out of my driver failures were under warranty...no questions asked. One was outside of warranty and rather expensive incl.shipping both ways.
Also, I am to blame for at least one of the faulty drivers and it taught me a lesson. Never leave the headphone connected to the switched off amp with the volume up...and then switch on!
Which amp cooked them?

Feb 11, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #7,334 of 11,986
I think it was a Burson( which I have sold then...as punishment) but I am also careful when swapping headphones during listening, to turn the volume down before I plug any Audeze into the amp.

Feb 11, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #7,335 of 11,986
every headphone sadly has problems, thankfully audeze is simply head and shoulders better than anyone else in terms of customer service...truly outstanding

Users who are viewing this thread

Back