Audeze LCD-4
Jul 16, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #6,766 of 11,986
How does the LCD4 with the 15 ohm 4Z drivers work with the Ragnarok? Please divulge some thoughts on that?
Unfortunately I wasn't able to AB directly with the Lyr3 that I was using previously to power the 4z. Subjectively, i can't say i noticed an immediate sonic difference between the two straight from memory when listening to the 4z.
Objectively, I noticed I had to turn the volume dial a lot further on the Rag to get to the same volume level that I was used to using on the lyr3 using the unbalanced connector. This is because the power rating listed on the Schiit website for the Rag is only for the balanced connection and not the unbalanced connection. If I recall the Lyr 3 is able to output more power through it's single unbalanced connection compared to the Rag.
What I did notice immediately even with my old memory was that my Ether C flows sounded much better on the Rag than the lyr 3. I originally listened with the Moon audio blue dragon cable with the 1/4 connector. Then I tried the stock Mrspeakers Dum XLR cable and was impressed even further. In fact, the Ethers using a balanced connection sounded as good or better than the LCD4z with the unbalanced connection on some songs. This is what got me intrigued about using a balanced connector with the 4Z. I just bought a stock Audeze XLR cable on the sales forum but I am on the hunt for an upgraded XLR cable for the 4z and the Ethers.

Jul 16, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #6,767 of 11,986
^^^Interesting. The same cable would work on the Ether and the LCD HPs? Seems like the rag could really just knock the socks off the 4Z as powerful as it is. The gain switch also works in balance mode right? Someday hope to get an yggy / rag combo. For now just slummin' with the Hugo 2. =^)

Jul 16, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #6,768 of 11,986
rag is more power than needed for 4z...overkill

Jul 16, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #6,769 of 11,986
^^^Interesting. The same cable would work on the Ether and the LCD HPs? Seems like the rag could really just knock the socks off the 4Z as powerful as it is. The gain switch also works in balance mode right? Someday hope to get an yggy / rag combo. For now just slummin' with the Hugo 2. =^)
Sorry if I confused you. I only had a balanced cable for the Ethers. I have not been able to test the 4z with a balanced cable yet. The Rag does have a lot of power but only using the balanced output. According to the Rag manual "Maximum Power, single-ended headphone output: 3W into 32 ohms" for the Lyr 3 it is "Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 6.0W RMS per channel" So the Lyr3 has twice the power output at 32 ohms compared to the Rag using the single-ended output.

Jul 16, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #6,770 of 11,986
rag is more power than needed for 4z...overkill

I can play the LCD-4z fairly well out of my iPad Pro...so I definitely agree! Sure they do scale higher with my Hugo2 and especially the DAVE.

Jul 20, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #6,771 of 11,986
I've actually just ordered an adapter to be able to test out the Lavricables Grand 20 Silver I currently use with the HEKv2. ... I'll report back on that in a couple weeks...

So, it's really nice. General resolution and treble definition in particular get a level-up. Hi-hats and things of that nature get more presence, and my attention gets drawn to them more consciously. Imaging is sharper. This is in relation to the Wywires Red, which I like a lot as well and already brings out a good deal of detail.

Since the LCD-4 has a slightly lowered treble compared to the norm (and definitely has a lowered upper midrange compared to many/most), it can arguably accommodate the change in tonality (or perceived change, maybe) and presentation that these cables bring out.

I finding myself swapping between the Lavricables and WyWires Red every so often, since the copper has its own advantages, depending on mood, etc.

TLDR: Worth trying.

Jul 20, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #6,772 of 11,986
Now that I've given the LCD-4 some decent listening time with the rest of my setup, I also wanted to make a plug for the LCD-4 on the Kenzie Encore (32-ohm tap). With a Studio Six and a GS-X mk2 also on hand, the Kenzie Encore is my favorite by a good margin:

Dynamic and open sounding, detailed, with good extension at both ends. Notably more expansive soundstage compared to the Studio Six and GS-X. And with a very nice midrange/upper-midrange sweetness, which again, is a nice counter-balance to the LCD-4's tonal character.

Also worth noting is that it has tons of power in reserve to drive the LCD-4. The proof of that is of course ultimately in the sound quality, but playing music at ~75dBA RMS requires turning the volume pot to less than 9AM position.

Jul 20, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #6,773 of 11,986
Now that I've given the LCD-4 some decent listening time with the rest of my setup, I also wanted to make a plug for the LCD-4 on the Kenzie Encore (32-ohm tap). With a Studio Six and a GS-X mk2 also on hand, the Kenzie Encore is my favorite by a good margin:

Dynamic and open sounding, detailed, with good extension at both ends. Notably more expansive soundstage compared to the Studio Six and GS-X. And with a very nice midrange/upper-midrange sweetness, which again, is a nice counter-balance to the LCD-4's tonal character.

Also worth noting is that it has tons of power in reserve to drive the LCD-4. The proof of that is of course ultimately in the sound quality, but playing music at ~75dBA RMS requires turning the volume pot to less than 9AM position.

I need to try LCD4 with tubes... :) How do you like the LCD4 vs Utopia in general? Which gets more head time?

Jul 20, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #6,774 of 11,986
I love my 4’s with my woo WA5. The LCD4 is richer with fuller bass while the Utopia is tighter and faster. This is by no means to say the LCD4 is slow or the Utopia is dry. Just different flavors of awesome. I love them both and listen to them often. I feel the compliment each other very well. And I prefer tubes with them both.

Jul 20, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #6,775 of 11,986
How do you like the LCD4 vs Utopia in general? Which gets more head time?

I think of them as evil twins of each other (mangled metaphor :).

The LCD-4 is still kind of the shiny new toy for me, so that one for sure. My first impressions weren't that strong originally, and the bass was giving me massive fatigue. Either they burned in into proper behavior, or my ears got bludgeoned into submission (maybe both). At first I thought I made a mistake letting go of the MX4 in favor of getting the LCD-4 but now they've grown on me a ton, more than the MX4 ever had. And I'm beginning to warm up to the upper-mid scoop, no pun intended.

The Utopia gets less and less head time as the months have gone by, I have to confess... even though they deserve massive respect. They are for me, unfortunately, fatiguing like nothing else...

Just different flavors of awesome.

Agreed.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #6,776 of 11,986
So, it's really nice. General resolution and treble definition in particular get a level-up. Hi-hats and things of that nature get more presence, and my attention gets drawn to them more consciously. Imaging is sharper. This is in relation to the Wywires Red, which I like a lot as well and already brings out a good deal of detail.

Since the LCD-4 has a slightly lowered treble compared to the norm (and definitely has a lowered upper midrange compared to many/most), it can arguably accommodate the change in tonality (or perceived change, maybe) and presentation that these cables bring out.

I finding myself swapping between the Lavricables and WyWires Red every so often, since the copper has its own advantages, depending on mood, etc.

TLDR: Worth trying.

Interesting. Is your LCD4 original cable the white and black one that comes with the current 200 ohms phones? I read the current one is better than the older blue version.

If you have the current Audeze cable, would you say the Lavricables silver is a step up, especially in treble detail and air?

Jul 21, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #6,777 of 11,986
would you say the Lavricables silver is a step up
I do have the black-white version of the stock cable, but unfortunately I can't answer that question directly since my Lavricables are XLR, and I immediately started using the stock cable on my work setup with some ZMFs...

Jul 21, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #6,778 of 11,986
I can say without a doubt that for me, the xlr version of the Audeze black and white premium cable sounds better than single ended version that comes with the 4 or 4z. In fact, even the basic stock xlr version seemed better. After buying the stock xlr version and hearing the difference I bought the premium version as well

Jul 21, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #6,779 of 11,986
Well, just ordered the Hydra 22 clear SE with a Furutech 6.3 plug. I'll pitch it against my stock LCD4 2018 cable (white and black). Silver can have the ability to extract maximum details. The balance I have right now is damb good, so lets see what more there is to be had! Pic shows the XLR version.

LL-1-770x510.jpeg

Jul 21, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #6,780 of 11,986
Audeze exchanged my stock black and white with a xlr one. Wich is much better, at least on my 430had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back