Audeze LCD-4
Oct 3, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #4,622 of 11,957
my hands are on the keyboard tho 
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 3, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #4,624 of 11,957

IMHO, the Utopias hard more resolution and clarity than the LCD-4s, but not by much. The soundstage of the LCD-4 is bigger, and although the soundstage of the Utopias isn't as big, it had a nice accuracy to them, you could tell where everything was coming from, it placed instruments well. This is where it gets tricky, as someone mentioned above, it all depends about the synergy with what you are listening to them with. I have the Burson CV2+, which to me has a brighter sounding DAC, so it has a nice synergy with the LCD-4, which is a bit darker than other headphones and has a slightly recessed treble. The Utopias to me sounded bright in comparison, with some harsh highs. There were songs I enjoyed very much with the Utopias until certain parts I had to pull them off my ears or lower the volume. The same songs at the same volume, I never had to do that with the LCD-4s. Could this simply be bad synergy with the Burson, its very possible, I don't have any other frame of reference. I've read others call the Utopias bright, but not many, so who knows. The bass is very good with the Utopia, but I preferred the bass of the LCD-4. Guitar and Piano sounded incredible with the Utopia, and where as I mentioned above, while the difference is small between them and the 4s, the difference is there. Are they as incredible and gush worthy as everyone is making them out to be, in my opinion, no. Not enough to give me buyers remorse on the 4s, I still prefer the 4s to them. I had both side by side going back and forth, it was as if I was trying to force myself to like the Utopias over the 4s, but I found myself enjoying the sound signature of the 4s more. It's hard for someone to tell you one is better than the other, we all have our own personal tastes. More importantly, the synergy with the source and amps really makes a huge difference on how both sound, so try them out for yourself before investing, with your own equipment, rather than rely on others impressions. 

Hi Smazz,
Can I ask what type of music you prefer, and which genre was too bright on the top end with the Utopia?

Thank you,
RCB

Oct 3, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #4,625 of 11,957
very very preliminary thoughts upon receiving my Utopia

Once again the Utopia is far more efficient than the LCD-4.....

The Utopia is outstanding but switching back and forth between the 2 cans and trying to adjust for volume makes me realize just how good the LCD-4 really is.....it has a wider soundstage ,it has a less forward presentation.....it is less fatiguing ......the Utopia is perhaps a bit more detailed and is more aggressive and in your face in a positive way.....the Utopia is more comfortable.....I am listening to both with my TT and Moon 430 and both with Moon audio balanced cables.......

Very very early conclusion....Utopia is outstanding but so is the LCD-4 and i could easily live with either of them.....time will tell which ends up my first choice but again the LCD-4 is damn good!!!!!

This after perhaps 7 04 8 hours of burn in.....

When I first put the Utopia on my head and listened my first reaction was,wow these are amazing...then when I took them off and put the LCD-4's on my reaction was,wow these are amazing as well lol....the truth is we are playing in the big leagues here and this is all star material all around

Oct 3, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #4,626 of 11,957
Thank you for posting, enjoy your new toy(s)

Oct 3, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #4,627 of 11,957
Hi Smazz,
Can I ask what type of music you prefer, and which genre was too bright on the top end with the Utopia?

Thank you,
RCB

I listen to everything but country.

Female vocalists like Diana Krall, Adele, Amber Rubarth
Metallica
Eric Clapton
Michael Jackson
Chili Peppers
Rap and R&B
ZZ Top
No Doubt
Alanis Morisette
Bob Marley
Queen
Dave Matthews.... And more were on the particular playlist when I compared LCD-4 to Utopia

I remember in particular, during Adele's "All I Ask" I had to turn down the volume, her voice became piercing on the Utopias, same volume on LCD-4 not a problem. Diana Krall's "A Case of You", the end the audience applauds, had to turn it down or it was quite harsh, same volume on LCD-4s, not a problem. Michael Jackson's "Earth Song" after the mid way point, had to be listened at a lower volume levels. Just some examples. Again, I just want to clarify the Utopia did a lot of things really well, the only knock I had on it, was for my taste it was a bit bright on certain songs or certain parts of songs. As I mentioned before, maybe the synergy with my set up wasn't ideal. For my set up, I preferred the LCD-4s.

Oct 3, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #4,628 of 11,957
With what amp? I found the moon NEO 430 to be extremely bright in my setup when I auditioned it

Oct 3, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #4,630 of 11,957
i own the moon 430 and one thing it ISN'T is overly bright

Oct 3, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #4,631 of 11,957
I listen to everything but country.

Female vocalists like Diana Krall, Adele, Amber Rubarth
Metallica
Eric Clapton
Michael Jackson
Chili Peppers
Rap and R&B
ZZ Top
No Doubt
Alanis Morisette
Bob Marley
Queen
Dave Matthews.... And more were on the particular playlist when I compared LCD-4 to Utopia

I remember in particular, during Adele's "All I Ask" I had to turn down the volume, her voice became piercing on the Utopias, same volume on LCD-4 not a problem. Diana Krall's "A Case of You", the end the audience applauds, had to turn it down or it was quite harsh, same volume on LCD-4s, not a problem. Michael Jackson's "Earth Song" after the mid way point, had to be listened at a lower volume levels. Just some examples. Again, I just want to clarify the Utopia did a lot of things really well, the only knock I had on it, was for my taste it was a bit bright on certain songs or certain parts of songs. As I mentioned before, maybe the synergy with my set up wasn't ideal. For my set up, I preferred the LCD-4s.

He also listens to Justin Bieber from time to time! He won't admit it in the forums though!

Oct 3, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #4,635 of 11,957
i own the moon 430 and one thing it ISN'T is overly bright
Well I found it bright with the built in DAC (I demoed the 430HAD) versus my studio six/Yggy combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back