1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Audeze LCD-4

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by matias, Sep 28, 2015.
Tags:
First

Back
149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158
160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169
Next

Last
  1. oleWhiskey
    Awesome thanks! Pmed him now

2. prismstorm
    By this point I guess I should just put my longing for an LCD-4 on complete halt until driver failures stop being reported, and the new film (and any other changes) are officially announced and explained, then give it even more time for the reliability of the new film to be affirmed ... LCD-4 sounded great during my audition, magnificent even, but all these stuff happening with no official response is frightening at this price point ....... [​IMG][​IMG]

I am tempted to just get the old LCD-X and be done with it but all the comparisons from this thread pretty much point to the 4 being superior (as it should being twice the price), and I am of the 'Buy the best, buy once, and cry once' camp. I really don't want to upgrade later on, it's a big hassle, and I can't justify owning both. Again a big shame as I am dying for something with the Audeze house sound but reality checks come first. 

RCBinTN likes this.
  3. oleWhiskey

Thanks again, was able to purchase his BHA-1. I have been looking for one for a while now. It was either that one or a Chord Hugo TT but right now I'm not willing to pay $5K for an Amp

RCBinTN likes this.
  4. Audeze
    In the next few weeks, we’ll be contacting our original LCD4 owners to offer a product update at no charge. The new driver uses an even thinner film, yet is stronger, and there are a few other incremental design changes as well. The impedance is now 200 ohms, and the sensitivity is about 97dB. This design and materials change makes them even more accurate! If you’re an LCD 4 owner with a serial number of 4142270 or below, you should expect a call or email from our customer service department in the next few weeks to arrange your update. If you don’t hear from us (because the product is not registered) by March 4, please write to support@audeze.com.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
    swspiers, jodgey4 and Gyp64 like this.
  5. goldendarko
    So the new drivers use an even thinner film? Is this designed to help prevent future driver failures, because it seems a thinner film would do the opposite?

6. Audeze
    Not really, they are not correlated.. The thinness increases flexibility and film is more compliant. 

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
    jodgey4 likes this.
  7. goldendarko
    So this update is being done purely from a sound improvement standpoint then I'm guessing?

8. cheznous
    Wow lucky escape.
    Am based in UK and was about to purchase the LCD 4 this weekend, I have and love the X.
    Reading the posts over the last few days I cancelled my purchase and ordered the Hifiman 1000.

At least Hifiman did prolonged beta testing.
    The thought of paying nearly 3,500 pounds for a product I would have to send back to USA did not sit well.
    Massive own goal there Audeze.

9. potkettleblack
    The HE1000 will compliment the X very well.

10. prismstorm
    what about overseas owners? Can the film upgrade (and any future upgrades) be done by the local distributor or must the cans be sent back to the States everytime?

The specifications on the website still says 100dB / 1mW for sensitivity and not 97?

11. TokenGesture
    For a product that expensive this is really bad

12. bigfatpaulie
    WARNING: This is my personal reaction.  You don’t have to read or like it.  But it’s how I feel.

I want to start by sharing the impact that Audeze has had on me personally, and why something like this cuts so close to the bone for me.  I actively try to be a good person, helps others, and be honest with everyone.  The world has been very good to me, and I want to be good to the world in return.  I have ALWAYS acted with integrity.  Always.

When I bought my LCD3’s new from a dealer, I intended to keep them forever.  Then the reliability issues started to come to light and mine were affected.  Audeze repaired and eventually replaced them – 3 or 4 times (I can’t recall).  They spent nearly as much time either not working, with the post office or at Audeze as they did with me.  So I made a decision.  I decided to sell them.  I sold a brand new, factory sealed pair that I received directly from Audeze and, to this day, I feel guilty about that.

I told the seller the whole story, there was no deception, but I am confident that those headphones will die on the new owner.  Sure, Audeze will fix them again, but what happens to the person after the three years?  So Audeze, in my eyes, has made me a bad person because now I sold a product knowing that it will almost certainly fail.  I knowingly sold a bad product to an honest person, and I feel guilty about it because Audeze put me in a corner

I’m not airing dirty laundry, I just want to provide perspective on why I’ve taken the time to write this and to try and show that this post isn’t coming from anger, it is coming from being betrayed (“We fixed the 3’s!”), made to feel guilty (selling a defective product) and seeing a pattern in Audeze (being told over and over that the reliability has been fixed when it hasn’t).

Quote:

I’ve read this post about a dozen times and I want to ask you to re-read it, too.  It talks about an “improvement” to the LCD4’s, sonically.  It says NOTHING about improving reliability.  N-O-T-H-I-N-G.  I can only take that one of two ways:

The first is that Audeze has no idea that there are reliability issues.  They see the number of returns as “normal” and not worth addressing.  That mindset would be consistent with what we see here.  Audeze has taken the time to join our community and is pretty careful in avoiding anything having to do with reliability issues.

What that means:  Audeze isn’t working to make the LCD4’s more reliable because why fix what isn’t broken.  This isn’t going to fix any reliability issues because it doesn’t say it is going to fix them.  The quality we have now is the way they will always be.  Be prepared to own a $4000 paperweight in 3 years.  But, hey, they sound marginally better now.

The second way I can read this is that Audeze is very quietly trying to disguise what is, for all intent and purpose, a MASS RECALL of their LCD4’s as a generous, free of charge “upgrade”.  That’s like a car company having seatbelts that don’t work and instead of admitting a problem and fixing them saying that they are going to make your car better with a free upgrade to the seatbelts.  That, frankly, is dishonest.  Call a spade a spade.

What that means: Audeze is lying to us – this is a fix for reliability issues but they are not acknowledging that that is what it is.  So if Audeze is showing us that they are okay with being disingenuous with their clients why should we believe that this ‘fix’ will even work?  To be blunt, it feels like this was a rush patch so it probably wasn’t well tested.  They still can’t make a reliable pair of 3’s, despite many fixes and upgrades.  Why would the 4’s be any different?  Basically, the quality we have now is the way they will always be.  Be prepared to own a $4000 paperweight in 3 years.  But, hey, they sound marginally better now.

So what can I conclude?  This post is either a steaming pile of ignorance or lies: pick your poison.

Everyone has to make his or her own choice. 

As always, YMMV, IMHO, make you own choice, read what you want, that’s just my personal view.

Mods, if you want to remove this, I understand.  No hard feelings :)

potkettleblack and g4747 like this.
  13. Articnoise
    Okay both higher impedance and less sensitivity then before then. This with Audeze’s way of measuring sensitivity, which I believe is a bit different to many other manufacturer and to how Audeze did it a couple of years ago. 

14. Matias

Actually the post does not say about reliability directly, but stating that the diafragm "is stronger" indirectly means it should have better reliability.

15. oleWhiskey
    This thread is making me feel like this right now

Gyp64 likes this.
First

Back
149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158
160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169
Next

Last