Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Oct 13, 2021 at 4:53 AM Post #5,972 of 6,385
Same with me. I used to have LCD3f but due to a bit harsh treble I sold them Currently enjoyiong Verite Open.
Nice. I've had Verite Open, and I missed the "planar sound" and ZMF are just too smooth sounding for me.

LCD-3 to me is like a beefed up Mrspeakers Alpha Prime which is what I wanted. Primes are almost perfect for my ears, there is not enough bass presence (even though it goes low enough). LCD-3 fixes this for me.

Glad to hear you are enjoying VO.

Oct 13, 2021 at 4:57 AM Post #5,973 of 6,385
Maybe worth trying burson cv2+. Very nice combo with Audeze with smooth treble.
Thanks for the recommendation, I had read up a bit on it. It's a long story but I had C3R (used with LCD-4) for just under 2 weeks, it had a few niggles so I sent it back. The reseller & I came to an agreement and I'm having it shipped back to me for delivery tomorrow.

C3R sounded great with LCD-4, and it is not at all like a typical Sabre dac. It's implemented very well. It's slightly warm, highly detailed but not at all bright/peaky in treble or analytical sounding. It's a lot of fun and very musical.

Oct 13, 2021 at 6:25 AM Post #5,975 of 6,385
This is really interesting how burson implements it, cv2 also had sabre and it did not sound to me like sabre at all. Very smooth and ejoyable.
They are very good at using Sabre dacs. From what I've read, AKM (before the factory fire) and ESS dacs are typically used purely because they are cheap/simple to implement without having to do much with them vs other R2R/Multi-bit chipsets. It's not as much because they sound good out the box.

Many OEMs (Topping is a good example) just throw them in and do very little, which keeps build & R&D cost down, and volumes higher.

Burson seems to be the OEM taking the most care and effort to make the ESS Sabre sound like they want it to, rather than just being "analytical" etc and measuring well (ASR is at fault here).

Oct 13, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #5,976 of 6,385
I was using a Metrum Flint DAC 2 and then got a Topping D70S (AKM chips) and couldn’t be happier. I have owned a Holo spring level 3 and a Metrum Musette before. The D70S is fabulous sounding for the price.

Oct 13, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #5,977 of 6,385
I was using a Metrum Flint DAC 2 and then got a Topping D70S (AKM chips) and couldn’t be happier. I have owned a Holo spring level 3 and a Metrum Musette before. The D70S is fabulous sounding for the price.
I know plenty of people like Topping so I wasn't slating them, just used their name as an example of an OEM using AKM and/or ESS chips in larger quantities.

My experience of DACs wiith AKM chips were all a little "polite" and flat, whereas the Multibit DACs I've heard have been "fuller" and more musical. But this is very subjective so...

I think the Burson C3R hits a great balance of everything.

Oct 19, 2021 at 3:23 AM Post #5,978 of 6,385
I have not read 399 pages of this thread but I am very much enjoying the LCD3 headphones. I have a pair of LCD4’s and a pair of Abyss 1266 Phi TC headphones that I have been using for the most part but in using my LCD3 headphones tonight I find them an excellent headphones. I don’t like the LCDX’s at all but the XC’s are nice.

Oct 19, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #5,979 of 6,385
I have not read 399 pages of this thread but I am very much enjoying the LCD3 headphones. I have a pair of LCD4’s and a pair of Abyss 1266 Phi TC headphones that I have been using for the most part but in using my LCD3 headphones tonight I find them an excellent headphones. I don’t like the LCDX’s at all but the XC’s are nice.
Yeah. I’ve had them for a few months now and they are still my go-to headphones. EQing a little bass into them goes a long way. I get that feeling that “this is how music is supposed to sound” when I put them on. I dread the day that they break as I likely won’t rebuy such an expensive pair.

Oct 19, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #5,980 of 6,385
Yeah. I’ve had them for a few months now and they are still my go-to headphones. EQing a little bass into them goes a long way. I get that feeling that “this is how music is supposed to sound” when I put them on. I dread the day that they break as I likely won’t rebuy such an expensive pair.
Do you not have warranty? If not then it might be cheaper to have Audeze fix them for a fee rather than buying a new pair. As for EQ I feel if a headphones need EQ then I would look for headphones elsewhere. I don’t feel any of my phones require EQ for my taste.

Oct 19, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #5,981 of 6,385
Do you not have warranty? If not then it might be cheaper to have Audeze fix them for a fee rather than buying a new pair. As for EQ I feel if a headphones need EQ then I would look for headphones elsewhere. I don’t feel any of my phones require EQ for my taste.
They’re way out of warranty. They’re the first Gen of the fazor version. I think that makes them around 8 years old. I bought them used so I’m not sure.

That’s great that you don’t need eq. I don’t use it for classical but with rock, I like having a little more punch to the bass. Like seriously just a +3db boost to the low end that rolls off towards the mids

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #5,982 of 6,385
Each to their own but I don’t think there is an headphone made yet that’s perfect in every aspect (HE1 but I can’t afford that). I have gone around in circles trying to find the perfect headphone. Eventually realising that it’s better to own a couple of sets for different music tastes. Some people use programs or valves or cables… to equalise. But whatever works to enjoy the music IMO.

Nov 2, 2021 at 2:36 AM Post #5,984 of 6,385
LCD-3 pre fazor finally in the house.

I can see/hear what the hype is about. I wouldn’t call these Prince of darkness. In comparison to a 2021 LCD-2F, they sound a touch dark or laid back (more appropriate description IMO). Initially they sounded a little slower, but this could also be my electronics warming up. They are more detailed for sure. Strings sound more correct. Piano and vocals are just stunning to listen to. Soundstage is a lot bigger in the L/R pane. And that Bass. That Bass is just oh good Lord. They have this sound where they just suck you into the music. It doesn’t matter what the genre is… I have played Metallica, Nina Simone, Daft Punk, Notorious BIG, MJ, Manzanita, classical Indian music, Nazia Hassan and they all sounded really good.

Bad stuff: having more resolution, average recordings sound worse than on the LCD-2F. Old style head band is nowhere as comfortable vs the new one. The old cables are badly designed in comparison to the new ones.

I will change the headband but don’t plan to change the pads, I am worried that this may change their sound and I love the brown leather.

Pics to come.

Nov 9, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #5,985 of 6,385
LCD-3 pre fazor finally in the house.

I can see/hear what the hype is about. I wouldn’t call these Prince of darkness. In comparison to a 2021 LCD-2F, they sound a touch dark or laid back (more appropriate description IMO). Initially they sounded a little slower, but this could also be my electronics warming up. They are more detailed for sure. Strings sound more correct. Piano and vocals are just stunning to listen to. Soundstage is a lot bigger in the L/R pane. And that Bass. That Bass is just oh good Lord. They have this sound where they just suck you into the music. It doesn’t matter what the genre is… I have played Metallica, Nina Simone, Daft Punk, Notorious BIG, MJ, Manzanita, classical Indian music, Nazia Hassan and they all sounded really good.

Bad stuff: having more resolution, average recordings sound worse than on the LCD-2F. Old style head band is nowhere as comfortable vs the new one. The old cables are badly designed in comparison to the new ones.

I will change the headband but don’t plan to change the pads, I am worried that this may change their sound and I love the brown leather.

Pics to come.
I can confirm this. I got my LCD-3 pre fazor in today (serial 2613938, very early production, maybe 2012?) and for the first time in a very long time, I had goosebumps again.

Yes, they cannot rival the level of detail the SR-007 Mk2 provides, but I was overwhelmed by the lovely, lush sound that is very detailed and wider than you initially expect. You can absolutely listen to these for hours on end, enjoying them, whereas not many headphones offer me that experience.

I already upgraded the headband to a carbon headband and will put on new pads as well. I will post some pictures soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back