Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
May 28, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #5,926 of 6,385
It would certainly help if anyone giving impressions of their headphones also state what their other gear in the setup are.

I went through LCD-2f, LCD-3f, LCD-X, LCD-3f and LCD4, in that order.

Bought my new LCD-2f from Addicted To Audio in 2017, a brick and mortar shop in downtown Sydney, 2 weeks after I bought Schiit Yggdrasil and Ragnarok and HD800 - all new from that same shop. I love the LCD-2f for 2 years even after replacing Ragnarok with Glenn OTL amp. Before anyone say that OTL amp won't drive planar properly, I would say don't generalise. Understand what Glenn OTL amp with 6 x 6bx7gt is first.

Then a chance purchase of a mint 2nd hand LCD-3f at a good price. Had the chance to a/b the LCD-2f and LCD-3f in the comfort of my home. By that time the ALO Audio Studio Six had arrived in my home. One listen of the LCD-3f and Studio Six and I knew that LCD-2f is leaving me for good. 3 and 6 were meant for each other with Yggdrasil assisting.

Subsequently LCD-X arrived, bought new. By which time the Ulrasonic Studios Oblivion hybrid amp has arrived and also a mint condition Woo Audio Wa22. I love the X and 3 so much I kept them together for a year. Then the He1000se came and LCD-X had to go ... sadly. X should have stayed.... but it don't matter because He1000se is just amazing.

Then the Elekit TU-8200 KT88 amp from Japan came. This is an amazing amp that can use many other tubes such as EL34, 6L6GC etc. So LCD-3f, HD800 and He1000se stayed together for a long while.

Then a 300b amp name Destiny came one day after my new LCD4 arrived - this was just a month ago. This combination is so good it almost oust the He1000se from the throne but I still love both He1000se and LCD4 equally. Yes equally because I think I have met my nirvana in these 2 headphones. They compliment each other. Will there be a Susvara and a Abyss 1266 TC? Maybe maybe not because I'm very content now,

In 2 months time, another custom triode amp call Odyssey (KT88, EL34, etc) will arrive from Sweden. Oh a Bifrost 2, Topping D90 and a NAD M51 join the ranks and I sold off the Verite LTD Open in Pheasant wood. Also sold off the Eikon and Atticus.

In closing, I've love the LCD-2f, LCD-3f, LCD-X but the LCD4 stay because there's just no comparison. LCD4 is the best of the lot and price does not influence my decision. As a matter of fact, I still kept the HD650 and HD800 has gone to my son for his first person shooter games. :wink:

May 28, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #5,927 of 6,385
so are you running the lcd-2 straight out from your macbook? if you are, i would agree with newsee that you definitely need to get a good amp and dac before considering new headphones. without doing that, you really don't know what your headphones are capable of.
At this time yes… I’m kind of at a crossroads though.

I’m considering either keeping the LCD-2 and getting the Jot+bifrost2+Audeze balanced cable with the rest of my budget

or… Exchanging the LCD-2 for an LCD-3 and running it with a Magni+Modi or getting another Mojo.

so I guess this is the age old “do I spend more money on DACs/Amps or Headphones?” Question. But… in this case I’m being pretty specific about which headphones and I’m just curious as to whether the bigger upgrade would be with the better amp or the better headphone.

Last edited:
May 28, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #5,928 of 6,385
Thanks for the advice! Ya I’ve been considering getting a Schiit stack, or JSD labs stack for some time but I’ve kind of been back and forth wondering about upgrading the LCD-2 to either an LCD-X or LCD-3 which is one of the reasons for delaying my purchase.

I’d probably either do LCD-2+jot/bifrost or LCD-3+modi/magni
There have also been rumours of Chord coming out with a new mobile DAC/Amp

I had LCD-3 for about three months. Either the LCD-X or the LCD-3 would be a noticeable step up from the LCD-2. The LCD-2 to LCD-X move, would be the better value, to me. I had managed to get a second hand LCD-3 for $1150 (very lucky). I had changed the headband and earpads (Dekoni hybrid). Not sure pad swaps modify the sound as much as people would like to think, even if a difference is shown on FR plots. Keep in mind that the LCD-X had been changed in Q4 2020, while the LCD-3 has been largely unchanged since the fazor mod in 2016.

I would suggest spending more than $100 each on your DAC and amp, as you would have a step up in resolution with your headphones, revealing weaknesses in your source components. I have had great success and seen good value in an amp that has the new THX chip in it. It cost more than the Magni, but was still under $500. It was a, "I could pay more, but why?" moment for me.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p...08&utm_content=OD - All_Products - Ad Group 1

I had bought Focal Clears in Q4 2018 instead of the open back LCD-X, and the latter had been my second choice for what I had wanted to pay, after having tried ten different headphones. They would definitely have complimented one another, as the lively and revealing Clears with their Al/Mg drivers, could sound fatiguing and brassy with percussion heavy music.

I had sold the LCD-3 because my speakers had handily out-resolved them (my Martin Logans are closer to the LCD-4 or Utopia in resolution), so it had become pointless to keep them around. I'm not a fan of the Pelican case, finding it pretentious and bulky. I would personally get the LCD-XC creator's edition, if anything. Audeze headphones have always had a "dark" signature and not a lively one, even when using the Reveal plugin. Any of the Audeze headphones had sounded especially good with rock and metal music, where a warm and dark signature is welcome, and extra detail in the upper midrange and treble often isn't enjoyable. I had the HiFiMan Arya before LCD-3, and although the former and its more expensive brother the HE-1000 has an astonishing soundstage, female vocals in particular had sounded a lot better on the LCD-3; probably besting even the $1500 Focal Clears. I don't feel that Audeze was going for class leading resolution with the LCD-3, but rather, a warm, lush, creamy signature, that's appealing. It's not a technical headphone.

Last edited:
May 28, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #5,929 of 6,385
At this time yes… I’m kind of at a crossroads though.

I’m considering either keeping the LCD-2 and getting the Jot+bifrost2+Audeze balanced cable with the rest of my budget

or… Exchanging the LCD-2 for an LCD-3 and running it with a Magni+Modi or getting another Mojo.

so I guess this is the age old “do I spend more money on DACs/Amps or Headphones?” Question. But… in this case I’m being pretty specific about which headphones and I’m just curious as to whether the bigger upgrade would be with the better amp or the better headphone.
Forget upgrading your headphones if your running them straight out of a laptop; your basically going to get a more precise look at everything your laptop does to mess up the sound. Upgrade to a Dac and amp (separates or all in one) first.
Skip the Modi+Magni combo if your going to pair it with the LCD3; they won't show the ability of the LCD3 (realistically an endgame headphone for many) and you'll have to upgrade them again if you want other high level headphones. You'll get more out of your current headphone(s) and you won't be held back when you upgrade in the future.

Since the combined price of the Jot+Bifrost is about $1100, you have a lot of options, particularly if your willing to buy used. You could also consider Gustard and Singxer products as those generally review well too.

May 29, 2021 at 12:38 AM Post #5,930 of 6,385
I get good synergy when I was using Yggy or Bifrost 2 with Mjolnir 2 or just Questyle CMA 12. Auralic Taurus Mk2 or v280 is very good too.

Oblivion with LCD3 is great. Even La Figaro 339i. So many choices.

The NAD M51 that I added to the stable is very good too as a DAC.

May 29, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #5,932 of 6,385
Skip the Modi+Magni combo if your going to pair it with the LCD3; they won't show the ability of the LCD3 (realistically an endgame headphone for many) and you'll have to upgrade them again if you want other high level headphones. You'll get more out of your current headphone(s) and you won't be held back when you upgrade in the future.

This is good to know. I think I'll just focus on getting everything I can out of my LCD-2 (getting a good amp and DAC to run it) until I have put aside the money to just buy another set. Thank you!

Last edited:
May 29, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #5,933 of 6,385
15th Aug 2017 - whilst I think my present system is better, this was already there. I could have been happy with the LCD2f and HD800 with these amps and Yggy. I fell in love with Audeze sound starting with the LCD2f. Gec 6as7g sitting in Euforia. :)

20170815_200720.jpg

Jun 24, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #5,934 of 6,385
i recently upgraded headphones and added the lcd-3 to the mix. as so many of you know, these headphones are really fabulous. great power and articulation! great presentation and engagement! i am super impressed and satisfied. incredibly comfortable.

i'm still getting used to them, so i'll have more to add later . . .

20210624_123848.jpg

Jul 14, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #5,935 of 6,385
I'll see what the fuss is tomorrow. I am hoping the high impedance works with my BHC. My Woo and Wells are the main amps used but BHC is just really a good sounding amp and fun to play with that it would be ashame if I can only use HD6xx with it.

Jul 15, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #5,938 of 6,385
Interested! How does the LCD3 pair with the BHA1? How does the amp compare to current amps of today?

not sure exactly what you mean by "current amps of today" -- the bha-1 has been around for a while, but it's about as current as they go -- fully balanced design, xlr and single ended inputs and outputs, and enough power to drive essentially any headphone. bryston tends to do the best they can with a product and leave it as is until they can do something materially better.

in terms of sound -- it's classic bryston: very clean, neutral, and detailed. doesn't have the bloom of some tube amps, but has good detail and soundstage. truly a what goes in is what goes out type of product.

the lcd-3 are relatively easy to drive, so the bha-1 doesn't break a sweat. sound is balanced (and has a "beautiful" element to it) across the frequency spectrum but does have the typical audeze laid-back style.

Jul 15, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #5,940 of 6,385
Got my 2nd hand LCD and very impressive I like these more then the LCD 4. The two LCD 4 I went through didn't have the low bass like the 3 does. It's very deep and vibrates the air inside sounding more like a subwoofer.
These almost do what you do with the 1266 by breaking the seal and increasing bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back