Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
May 10, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #5,913 of 6,385
I don't think there's a sonic difference - there's a definite construction difference, however. The pads are totally different geometry, so sure, there's likely some sound change, but I don't think it's a gamechanger. But then again, you know how insane the people in this hobby can be lol.

Having had two LCD-3F with the brown pad and currently having a 2020 model, the biggest difference I noticed is the new pads/felt spacer (like the LCD-4), plus a very shiny, hard finish on the wood cups.

EDIT: The felt spacer is the real gamechanger. That should put the driver failure rate down to about zero, and it was the LCD-4 that was the canary in the coalmine for that. But I'm sure "the mids are much more open" and "female vocals sound exquisite" on the discontinued version....

Last edited:
May 10, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #5,914 of 6,385
Having had two LCD-3F with the brown pad and currently having a 2020 model, the biggest difference I noticed is the new pads/felt spacer (like the LCD-4), plus a very shiny, hard finish on the wood cups.

Thanks I did not know that they have also introduced the felt spacer in the LCD3f.

I've been through (meaning I've owned them) LCD2f, LCD3f (twice), LCD-X and now LCD4.

The current LCD3f which I still have now but will be going to the new owner in a week's time, is a 2016 model which I bought used. It came with brown leather headband and suede brown pads. The pads were quite worn but comfortable when I received it and the headphone is in mint condition. I listen to this LCD3f in this condition for almost a year before I got all the hardware replaced. The hardware meaning the metal yoke, steel suspension headband and Audeze original back leather pads.

Tonal difference on changing over is very slight and any difference is attributed to the new tight fit and pads. Yes having such a drastic switch over will have some impact on the sound but it's slight. I do prefer the sound and fit after the switch over.

I did know about the felt spacer in the LCD4 and in fact you're not supposed to change the LCD4 pads yourself. Doing so can void the warranty. This needs to be done by Audeze, the supplier or the authorised dealer. I can't see how this will apply to LCD3f because LCD3f drivers are not that delicate as the LCD4 to warrant that special care.

A picture taken yesterday of the 3 and 4 before I say farewell to the 3 IMG_2399.jpg.

May 10, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #5,915 of 6,385
Thanks I did not know that they have also introduced the felt spacer in the LCD3f.

I've been through (meaning I've owned them) LCD2f, LCD3f (twice), LCD-X and now LCD4.

The current LCD3f which I still have now but will be going to the new owner in a week's time, is a 2016 model which I bought used. It came with brown leather headband and suede brown pads. The pads were quite worn but comfortable when I received it and the headphone is in mint condition. I listen to this LCD3f in this condition for almost a year before I got all the hardware replaced. The hardware meaning the metal yoke, steel suspension headband and Audeze original back leather pads.

Tonal difference on changing over is very slight and any difference is attributed to the new tight fit and pads. Yes having such a drastic switch over will have some impact on the sound but it's slight. I do prefer the sound and fit after the switch over.

I did know about the felt spacer in the LCD4 and in fact you're not supposed to change the LCD4 pads yourself. Doing so can void the warranty. This needs to be done by Audeze, the supplier or the authorised dealer. I can't see how this will apply to LCD3f because LCD3f drivers are not that delicate as the LCD4 to warrant that special care.

A picture taken yesterday of the 3 and 4 before I say farewell to the 3IMG_2399.jpg.
Very nice. Are those after market headbands? Mine have a heavily padded leather band.

May 10, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #5,916 of 6,385
They are Audeze steel suspension headbands that are fitted as standard on the newer range of LCD2, 3 and X. You can order them from your dealer or Audeze themselves.

You even buy the carbon headband as used on the LCD4 but they cost a bit more.

May 10, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #5,917 of 6,385
Very nice. Are those after market headbands? Mine have a heavily padded leather band.
Nope, the one with the holes is the current version, and the one without the holes is the one stock on the LCD-4.

A picture taken yesterday of the 3 and 4 before I say farewell to the 3IMG_2399.jpg.
I've had an LCD-2.2, LCD-X x2, LCD-XC x3, LCD-3F x3, and LCD-4.

What's funny is even there there's all this fuss about that felt spacer, it's easily the easiest LCD to pad roll, haha. My LCD-4's pads came off very easily when I had it. IMO, I've never encountered a conclusive improvement on the LCD-4 anyway, and the new LCD-3 pads are so comfortable I'll leave em alone.

I will say though - a pre-2021 LCD-X with Dekoni Choice Leather pads was bomb freakin' diggity. Only hocked them when I got the LCD-4. Which I got rid of. Heh.

May 10, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #5,918 of 6,385
They are Audeze steel suspension headbands that are fitted as standard on the newer range of LCD2, 3 and X. You can order them from your dealer or Audeze themselves.

You even buy the carbon headband as used on the LCD4 but they cost a bit more.
Got it. I think mine are an early run of the fazor type hence the leather band. I do like the new headbands though. If i ever wear out that headband I’m definitely going to get the new type.

edit: going back through this thread I’m reminded how beautiful the lcd 3’s are. Such an incredible looking headphone.

Last edited:
May 20, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #5,920 of 6,385
After a round of cycling through the major cans - Stellia, LCD-4z, HD800S - I've returned to my pre-Fazor LCD-3. It wins for my ears and my listening tastes. It does have an iFi Diablo and a number of upgrades - carbon fiber headband, new pads. I figure if you can get a working pre-Fazor LCD-3 at this stage, it'll work forever.

Thank you to Audeze for this miracle!

A5F7B506-44BB-4679-A7DE-2F043DC4EC16.jpeg

May 28, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #5,922 of 6,385
I’ve owned the LCD-2f 2021 for a few weeks now and am often wondering about how much of an upgrade the LCD-3 might be. Some things I’m concerned about:

-reports of crackling sound with the diaphragm
-reports that the mids are even more recessed than the LCD-2 (which is already pushing it for me)
-reports of less dynamic impact than the LCD-2?

Some things I’m looking forward to:
- improved detail and soundstage
- better bass extension
- I was hoping for better dynamics?

does anyone have experience with one with the new pads?

May 28, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #5,923 of 6,385
I’ve owned the LCD-2f 2021 for a few weeks now and am often wondering about how much of an upgrade the LCD-3 might be. Some things I’m concerned about:

-reports of crackling sound with the diaphragm
-reports that the mids are even more recessed than the LCD-2 (which is already pushing it for me)
-reports of less dynamic impact than the LCD-2?

Some things I’m looking forward to:
- improved detail and soundstage
- better bass extension
- I was hoping for better dynamics?

does anyone have experience with one with the new pads?
When I bought my LCD-3 I have auditioned the LCD-2 as well. It did not take long to put the LCD-2 aside, the -3 was so much more convincing in the overall impression. I think I was particularly interested in the bass performance at that time. I do not know which LCD-2 was that.

If you look for such finenesses as detail and soundstage, maybe it worth a few $ investment in the DAC and amplification before investing $$$ in changing the end of the chain, based on your signature. The LCD-2 is already good enough to show weaknesses in the upstream. If you want to stay mobile, I can recommend the Khadas Tone2 pro. Surprisingly small and capable.
I was astonished how much improvement it brought compared to the built-in laptop sond.

Many people praising it, but I did not like the Mojo in combination with the LCD-3.

Last edited:
May 28, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #5,924 of 6,385
When I bought my LCD-3 I have auditioned the LCD-2 as well. It did not take long to put the LCD-2 aside, the -3 was so much more convincing in the overall impression. I think I was particularly interested in the bass performance at that time. I do not know which LCD-2 was that.

If you look for such finenesses as detail and soundstage, maybe it worth a few $ investment in the DAC and amplification before investing $$$ in changing the end of the chain, based on your signature. The LCD-2 is already good enough to show weaknesses in the upstream. If you want to stay mobile, I can recommend the Khadas Tone2 pro. Surprisingly small and capable.
I was astonished how much improvement it brought compared to the built-in laptop sond.

Many people praising it, but I did not like the Mojo in combination with the LCD-3.

Thanks for the advice! Ya I’ve been considering getting a Schiit stack, or JSD labs stack for some time but I’ve kind of been back and forth wondering about upgrading the LCD-2 to either an LCD-X or LCD-3 which is one of the reasons for delaying my purchase.

I’d probably either do LCD-2+jot/bifrost or LCD-3+modi/magni
There have also been rumours of Chord coming out with a new mobile DAC/Amp

May 28, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #5,925 of 6,385
Thanks for the advice! Ya I’ve been considering getting a Schiit stack, or JSD labs stack for some time but I’ve kind of been back and forth wondering about upgrading the LCD-2 to either an LCD-X or LCD-3 which is one of the reasons for delaying my purchase.

I’d probably either do LCD-2+jot/bifrost or LCD-3+modi/magni
There have also been rumours of Chord coming out with a new mobile DAC/Amp

so are you running the lcd-2 straight out from your macbook? if you are, i would agree with newsee that you definitely need to get a good amp and dac before considering new headphones. without doing that, you really don't know what your headphones are capable of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back