Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Jan 11, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #5,566 of 6,385
Try pushing the connector in, then pulling. That's worked for me on difficult cable.

Haven't experienced that the 3 is harder or any different than the 2c. Same problem with both connectors?

Make sure the button is pushed all the way in a pull straight down. Hold both the metal piece that the connectors plug into and the cable connector if it is a snug fit.

If that does not work, then I am not sure what is going on.

Thank you guys. It "turns" out that you have to press the button and twist the connector while pulling out. Once I got the motion the other one came right out.

It's odd. The cable on my LCD-2C and the balanced cable I bought (Audeze brand) for the LCD-3 both have the round button connectors and go in and out no problem. The stock SE cable for the LCD-3 has an oblong sort of rectangular button and it has to be pushed while you turn the connector.

My weekend is finally OK :D

Jan 11, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #5,567 of 6,385
Thank you guys. It "turns" out that you have to press the button and twist the connector while pulling out. Once I got the motion the other one came right out.

It's odd. The cable on my LCD-2C and the balanced cable I bought (Audeze brand) for the LCD-3 both have the round button connectors and go in and out no problem. The stock SE cable for the LCD-3 has an oblong sort of rectangular button and it has to be pushed while you turn the connector.

My weekend is finally OK :D
I believe you are describing the difference between the Rean and Amphenol mini XLR jacks there. I'm not sure why the Rean ones are so difficult to remove, but I've also experienced that

Jan 11, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #5,568 of 6,385
I didn't check the brand on the round button ones but yeah the rectangular/oblong one is definitely marked Rean. My Gawd, it is an awful experience to be using a Leatherman on a 2.000 euro pair of headphones :frowning2:

Jan 12, 2020 at 7:39 AM Post #5,569 of 6,385
Well they stuck again today and nothing helped.

Jason strikes again

If you unscrew the plastic cover you can pull the inner plug out with the wires attached. Then the plug housing is easily removed. Royal PITA though. I sent a plea to Audeze support. Hoping for a replacement cable.

Jan 16, 2020 at 7:58 AM Post #5,570 of 6,385
20200107_201458_HDR.jpg

Upgraded from my Audeze LCD-2C to the venerable LCD-3, and I'm just loving it! A bigger improvement in the bass extension and crisper treble with less veiling in the mids without losing the lushness. I do feel especially with the Chord Qutest, I can hear better separation and better transitions, as well.

20200109_123005_HDR.jpg

Here's my current setup:
Custom PC --> iFi iDefender 3.0 --> iFi Nano iUSB3.0 --> Morrow Audio Reference USB Cable --> Chord Qutest DAC --> Morrow Audio MA4 RCA Cable with KLE Pure Harmony terminations --> Schiit Lyr 3 hybrid tube amp (Sylvania 6SN7GT Bad Boy 3-hole '50 tube) --> Drop THX AAA 789 amp --> Morrow Audio MA4 RCA Cable with KLE Pure Harmony terminations --> Periapt Cable --> Audeze LCD-3

I have tested the Schiit Lyr 3 and the Drop THX AAA 789 amp separately, and every time I compare, I keep coming back to combining both amps. The Lyr 3 helps bringing that nice bottom end, but it can get a bit veiled and dark without the THX 789. The THX 789 has an engaging mid-treble and just overall crisp and tightness, but the bass can sound a bit too thin without the Lyr 3. The combo of both them actually extends the bass slam a bit more while keep it tight and full, keeps the mid-bass lush but fast, adds a bit more forwardness to the mids while staying nice and full, and adds a nice balance of smooth but sharp on the treble end without getting too metallic or fatiguing.

That being said, I would LOVE to sell both these amps and have one solid, potentially end-game amp. I've listened to the Woo Audio WA5-LE and am utterly spoiled by it. It just has everything... even though the price tag is pretty darn high. Of the other amps I listened to, the Moon Audio 430HA and thought it was a bit too thin, the Woo Audio WA22 is too dark, the WA7 Firefly is a bit lacking in dynamic range, and the Audeze Deckard just a bit small. Granted, all of this is in relation to the WA5-LE.

So the question is, if I were to sell both my Lyr 3 and THX 789, what single amp under $2500 can get close enough to the WA5-LE? How close does the Woo Audio WA6-SE get? Are there better options?

Jan 16, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #5,571 of 6,385
So the question is, if I were to sell both my Lyr 3 and THX 789, what single amp under $2500 can get close enough to the WA5-LE? How close does the Woo Audio WA6-SE get? Are there better options?

If you’re willing to get your hands dirty or can find someone to build you one the Elekit TU-8600R is an absolutely dynamite pairing with the LCD-3F.

Jan 16, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #5,572 of 6,385
If you’re willing to get your hands dirty or can find someone to build you one the Elekit TU-8600R is an absolutely dynamite pairing with the LCD-3F.

Yikes, nobody sells a built version?

Jan 16, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #5,573 of 6,385
Yikes, nobody sells a built version?

Its a DIY kit. Really fun build - the instructions are excellent. It looks like there’s a new version out called the TU-8800, Victor at https://www.vkmusic.ca sells them - maybe he offers a build service or can put you in touch with someone.

Jan 16, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #5,574 of 6,385

Upgraded from my Audeze LCD-2C to the venerable LCD-3, and I'm just loving it! A bigger improvement in the bass extension and crisper treble with less veiling in the mids without losing the lushness. I do feel especially with the Chord Qutest, I can hear better separation and better transitions, as well.

Here's my current setup:
Custom PC --> iFi iDefender 3.0 --> iFi Nano iUSB3.0 --> Morrow Audio Reference USB Cable --> Chord Qutest DAC --> Morrow Audio MA4 RCA Cable with KLE Pure Harmony terminations --> Schiit Lyr 3 hybrid tube amp (Sylvania 6SN7GT Bad Boy 3-hole '50 tube) --> Drop THX AAA 789 amp --> Morrow Audio MA4 RCA Cable with KLE Pure Harmony terminations --> Periapt Cable --> Audeze LCD-3

I have tested the Schiit Lyr 3 and the Drop THX AAA 789 amp separately, and every time I compare, I keep coming back to combining both amps. The Lyr 3 helps bringing that nice bottom end, but it can get a bit veiled and dark without the THX 789. The THX 789 has an engaging mid-treble and just overall crisp and tightness, but the bass can sound a bit too thin without the Lyr 3. The combo of both them actually extends the bass slam a bit more while keep it tight and full, keeps the mid-bass lush but fast, adds a bit more forwardness to the mids while staying nice and full, and adds a nice balance of smooth but sharp on the treble end without getting too metallic or fatiguing.

That being said, I would LOVE to sell both these amps and have one solid, potentially end-game amp. I've listened to the Woo Audio WA5-LE and am utterly spoiled by it. It just has everything... even though the price tag is pretty darn high. Of the other amps I listened to, the Moon Audio 430HA and thought it was a bit too thin, the Woo Audio WA22 is too dark, the WA7 Firefly is a bit lacking in dynamic range, and the Audeze Deckard just a bit small. Granted, all of this is in relation to the WA5-LE.

Maybe consider a Feliks Audio Amp? I've heard good things about them.
Join the integrated amp dark army.....i

Jan 17, 2020 at 2:44 AM Post #5,575 of 6,385
I can't really imagine a benefit to a tube amp for the LCDs. Mine seem a lot happier out of solid state amps. The LCDs are already warm enough and they're easy to drive. A Meier Corda Jazz is not expensive and has plenty of power for Audezes. If you want an 800 pound gorilla and have the bananas then probably the Violectric V280 would be all the solid state amp anybody would ever need.

Jan 17, 2020 at 4:01 AM Post #5,576 of 6,385
I can't really imagine a benefit to a tube amp for the LCDs. Mine seem a lot happier out of solid state amps. The LCDs are already warm enough and they're easy to drive. A Meier Corda Jazz is not expensive and has plenty of power for Audezes.

The Meier Corda Jazz seems to be a flawed design. Besides, I really need something that's substantially better than the THX 789 AAA and the Lyr 3 by themselves and combined. So far, the WA5-LE has been it. Will need to listen to the WA6SE

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nd-measurements-of-meier-corda-jazz-amp.7197/

"The Meier Audio Corda Jazz is a flawed design with multiple issues both objectively and subjectively. That it costs so much money simply adds insult to injury. The only way you can escape its very low limits of performance is to use very efficient headphones with it. In that case, you may be better off buying a $9 dongle instead of spending hundreds of dollars on this unit.

ven if the design was performant, it simply is not competitive with what is in the market now in the form of JDS Labs Atom and Massdrop THX AAA 789. These two amps have completely changed the landscape of headphone amplifiers with exceptionally low noise and distortion while producing tons of power. To continue selling headphones amps with far less power and more distortion and noise for same or much higher price is like trying to sell flip phones for more money than smartphones. These people should buy an Atom and see what they are up against.

Needless to say, I see no reason to recommend Corda Jazz headphone amplifier."

Jan 17, 2020 at 5:08 AM Post #5,577 of 6,385
You can believe what you want. I have one (with the ff addition) and the performance is great and very flexible. I didn't measure it, it just sounds good and drives a lot of headphones I have very well.

If something goes wrong with Massdrop products nobody will care, nobody will help you, and nobody will know anything about it. I don't know about JDS. On the other hand, Jan Meier is a participant in our forums here. He is friendly, responsive, and very concerned that people are happy with his products.

Edited: thank you for the link. If you read through it you find people saying they still pick the Corda Jazz over the JDS and other amps because it sounds better. And they also say it's built better. And Jan Meier answers the technical questions about the amp and explains his design choices. To me this is worth more than the best-measuring amp designed by guys in a land far away and stuffed into a plastic housing with plastic knobs who will never know who you are or care about what happens to what they put out.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #5,578 of 6,385
So I'm looking to upgrade the Amp for my LCD-3 to an endgame/near-endgame Tube Amp. I think I'm leaning towards a 300B tube Amp.

My Dac is the Chord Qutest DAC.

I have heard the Wood Audio WA5-LE with the LCD-4 at Shelley's Stereo, and I was blown away. The other amps at the store couldn't compare.

The Wa5-Le is pretty much the upper limits of what I'm trying to spend, so I'd like some suggestions of other tube amps that won't be too bloomy or slow, but still have a tight, punchy, detailed, warm/warmish sound with large soundstage.

What do you guys suggest in that $1250-3700 ?

What do you think about the Eddie Current Balancing Act or Aficionado, Cayin Ha300, one of the AmandSound?

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #5,579 of 6,385
So I'm looking to upgrade the Amp for my LCD-3 to an endgame/near-endgame Amp. I think I'm leaning towards a 300B tube Amp.

My Dac is the Chord Qutest DAC.

I have heard the Wood Audio WA5-LE with the LCD-4 at Shelley's Stereo, and I was blown away. The other amps at the store couldn't compare.

The Wa5-Le is pretty much the upper limits of what I'm trying to spend, so I'd like some suggestions of other tube amps that won't be too bloomy or slow, but still have a tight, punchy, detailed, warm/warmish sound with large soundstage.

What do you guys suggest in that $1250-3700 ?

What do you think about the Eddie Current Balancing Act or Aficionado, Cayin Ha300, one of the AmandSound?

Wells Audio the MILO

Jan 24, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #5,580 of 6,385

Users who are viewing this thread

Back