Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Sep 25, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #5,266 of 6,385
I read somewhere the lcd 2 classic is made in China, comes with no case etc. Said audeze decided to take it overseas to make these. Maybe 2c and 2 classic is different?

The Audeze LCD2C product page and Steve Guttenberg's cnet post say it's made in Audeze's California facility.

On the other hand, someone commented on Tyll's innerfidelity post that Audeze headphones are made in China and shipped from the Shanghai port. Some posts on head-fi.org have people commenting that they heard that this or that Audeze product is made in China. None of these statements were corroborated in any way, by the way.

- John Darko's Audeze factory tour clearly shows various headphones and headphone components being made, some from scratch. in Audeze's California factory. I wouldn't be surprised if some component or other had to be fabricated in a Chinese factory due to cost but it does look like they all come together in that factory. Bamboo for the bamboo cupped LCDs is obviously not going to be sourced from the US, for example, and may have already been formed into cups before shipping from China.

Not that I have anything against products made in China. Most of our phones are made there - and pretty much everything else you can think of. Hifiman, Audio-gd, Cayin, Aurender and many other trusted audiophile brands are made and designed in China. Even red blooded American brands like McIntosh outsource some of their product manufacture to China.

Well, that's how I see it anyway - unless someone from Audeze wants to set the record straight.

Sep 26, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #5,267 of 6,385
I believe the new Mobius is made in China. Everything else in California.

Sep 26, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #5,268 of 6,385
There’s a sufficient amount of bass when needed but the LCD 3 has quite a balanced bass. If you want a bit more of an emphasis in bass then the LCD2 classic is the way to go.

If the classic LCD3s were accused of darkness, then the current fazors bring a more neutral treble. Not so much as to sound bright, definitely not HD800 levels but noticeably more high range sparkle.

Agree here. LCD-2 Classics, I would consider them having a laid-back, bass and mid-emphasis, sound signature. I liked them A LOT, but felt they were a bit too polite on the highs. The bass is really really good, although a bit accentuated due to the laid-laid back highs.

LCD-3s, in their current iteration (purchased mine direct from Audeze in June or July) are not what I would call dark, but definitely not bright either. The bass is of excellent quality, but balanced for sure; unlike the LCD-2 Classics.

Sep 28, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #5,270 of 6,385
muscleking, how is the audio gd reference 10.32 with the 384 upgrade compared to the Deckard? And did you find the extra power cord to make a measurable difference?

OK took me a bit time to figure out that H5 and P5 is the headphone output. H5 is in front the xlr 4 pin and 1/4. P5 is the balanced L and R on the back. I tested with lcd3 and Stax amplifier balanced connection. Default is set to NOS and something else later I realized not the best sounding.

The audeze 3 left driver failed 5 minutes listen to the audio gd. Send email to support hopefully get a warranty repair. Manufactured June 2015. Previously purchased in 2016. The 5 minutes my coworker got to listen to it and I listened for 2 minutes. The bass is improved and has a more mature sound vs the deckard. Not like 2x better. For what I paid deckard about 260 bucks it's hard to beat. But I didn't have enough time to have the 10.32 warm. It was tiny but warm after 2 hours of use. Remaining session tested with el8 and Sony ma900 and Stax 407. It has warm sound like deckard. I do feel I heard a bit more detail in the audio-gd dac. I plugged in crappy cable to test and felt it had a thinner sound. I do feel my psychological may have effect on that lol I'll plug the furutech on the deckard to see if I can tell this weekend. A bit busy personally on work so won't be listening much for a few days.
The NCF duplex set is coming so I'll see if that one brings more improvements. Supposed to have more improvement than lower cord. And of course the usb cable I'm using the deckard original one..later need to roll that as well.

Now I just need to figure out what to do with the lcd3. If they don't want to fix for free since I don't have the original receipt I may sell it as a loss and buy the hd800 instead. Everyone recommend me to take the 10.32 with hd800.

The jumpers came with the audio-gd are damaged so I'm not sure I'm running the right jumper settings Bought 100 jumpers on ebay for 1 bucks just now but that will take 1 to 2 months to receive lol.

I'll sell the little dot and put away deckard and put this thing where they used to be. Very large unit to find a place to put. The power cable is sooooo rigid and that need some logistic to sort out too. It's 1.5m 10awg wire.

The power cord I can say did make a difference. It added more detail and has a bigger sound. It creates a non fatigue type of sound. Need some more time with it though. I think most people just too lazy to compare the cable it's a hassle to plug and unplug. I tried 8x sampling and liked it too. Bigger sound but more digital sounding. Again I felt what I read might affect my mind. I can see this maybe true now lol.

Oct 2, 2018 at 7:14 AM Post #5,275 of 6,385
Driver failures. Some people have had up to 5 failures on the same headphone
From what I’ve read the new (Nov 2015 and later) drivers are supposed to be far more resilient to failure. Touch wood I haven’t had any issues with mine. If you’re in the US just make sure you pick up a pair under warranty (it not new) and you’ll have peace of mind. If not, put some funds aside for Audeze driver failure ‘insurance’.

Oct 2, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #5,276 of 6,385
I was told by Audeze that the seal created when placing the headphone on can cause problems. I lost a driver when the left ear cup slipped out of my hand and snapped down on my head. Apparently that damaged the driver. Audeze repaired it for free, even though it was a few months out of warranty. That was two years ago and no problems since. I'm just careful not to put them on to forcefully.

Oct 4, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #5,277 of 6,385
someone in canada selling a LCD2 very first one and HD800 both come with aftermarket cable. i bought it right away. pretty good deal. i think the very first LCD2 is very very rare. i haven't seen any for sale for a while. either all broken or people keeping it for the collectable value. if i like the 2 more i will sell the 3 after it's repaired, just had a left driver failure, went silent. i got this Audio-gd ref 10.32 said supposed to work with HD800. i always wanted a HD800 so luckily found one for a good deal. both come with this ALO brand cable. not sure how good it is.

Oct 5, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #5,278 of 6,385
Does anyone know if authorized Audeze retailers ever discount the price below MSRP, if asked to do so? I know that some Focal retailers will offer a discount, if asked (but they're not allowed to advertise a price below MSRP).

Oct 8, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #5,279 of 6,385
The new drivers definitely make this a different headphone when compared to the old drivers. And I would say there is absolutely an improvement in clarity and soundstaging. However, that damn spike at 10k is proving to be a problem for my tinnitus. Taming that shouldn't be do difficult these days. Question is, what is the best way to go about that?

Do ALL software EQs modify the original source file when engaged? The purist in me would like to avoid that scenario if it all possible.

Oct 13, 2018 at 3:32 AM Post #5,280 of 6,385
Just got my LCD-3. It is an upgraded from my LCD-2C. I only been using them for about 20hrs. I find that they are not as spacious as the LCD-2C, and more fatigue. The mid and high are more detail for sure with a good quality bass. However I would love to have the spacious of the LCD-2C.
So my question is if I would let the LCD-3 have more burn-in time would it increase the spaciousness? Or it is intended this way. Should I return this and get the LCD-2 instead.
Thanks in advanced for all the inputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back