Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Sep 20, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #5,251 of 6,385
I have an interesting experience with LCD-3. I own DAC-Amp Pioneer U-05 and amplifiers Burson Soloist mk2 and tube hybrid Elemental Watson.
Despite the lowest power, Pioneer in single ended mode have the best sound for me. Best dynamic, bass and sound clarity. Maybe because Pioneer has a neutral to bright sound signature. Soloist and Elemental Watson are darker.

Sep 21, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #5,252 of 6,385
I picked up a deckard for about 250 USD. Good match with lcd3. Once warmed up has a big sound. But you guys got to give nx4 dxd a try. It's like 90% of deckard for 1/100th the size. I think the dac is also a bit more detailed But very close sound. The nx4 dxd can drive lcd 3 to ear bleeding level on high gain.

I'm thinking about picking up a audio gd reference 10.32. The guy above me with audio gd how do you like yours with lcd 3f?

Sep 21, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #5,253 of 6,385
I'm thinking about picking up a audio gd reference 10.32. The guy above me with audio gd how do you like yours with lcd 3f?

They're excellent together - and I've heard most of the headphone amp lineup. Audio-gd has that smooth, organic house sound that manages to maintain fine details without any fatigue and provides power with finesse. For my tastes, they're best with their R2R DACs so I would prefer to go with one of the standalone R2R DACs + dedicated headphone amp.

I'd like to get a Master 9 but they're a bit further behind in my upgrade queue - I want an LCD 4 before getting one. And I want an amp and speaker upgrade before that.

Sep 21, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #5,254 of 6,385
They're excellent together - and I've heard most of the headphone amp lineup. Audio-gd has that smooth, organic house sound that manages to maintain fine details without any fatigue and provides power with finesse. For my tastes, they're best with their R2R DACs so I would prefer to go with one of the standalone R2R DACs + dedicated headphone amp.

I'd like to get a Master 9 but they're a bit further behind in my upgrade queue - I want an LCD 4 before getting one. And I want an amp and speaker upgrade before that.

thanks for your reply. that gave me an idea of the sound. how is the bass on audiogd on the lcd? does it make the bass more satisfying? the bass is good right now but very few songs has the bigger bass sound. even most rap is not bassy. i think i should get a z1r later.

the reference 10.28 is pretty old. is it still worth buying or i should order a new one from their official website? looks like they don't use this PCM1704UK chip anymore, some people like it some people don't.

i still find the treble a bit high on the lcd3 and deckard. can't listen too loud, set high gain sounds best and turn to about 10 oclock. medium gain 12 oclock. i'm gonna keep the deckard since it's rare and looking at it and listen at the same time give me more sanctification lol.

audio gd seem to pair with hd800 very well. i am currently selling a few things and then may give hd800 a try. knew about it for many years now. but i don't think it will be better than my stax.

oh i put the deckard as preamp set to medium and volume max. then hook up to the stax 006ts amp which drive the 407 and it sounds much better than just a dac to the stax amplifier. wonder why. i want to get a balanced dac and try the balanced input on the stax amp see if make it sound better. when run deckard and stax together both get a bit hotter than not connect them together. wonder it's safe. i know the little dot can't use with any stax amp because it's DC.

there are some best seller cheaper balanced cable on amazon are those good enough to connect a dac to amp? balanced cable makes a difference on sound when connect dac to amp?

Sep 21, 2018 at 10:36 PM Post #5,255 of 6,385
I can guarantee that LCD4z should also be considered because it is absolutely superb and does not take huge power to drive. Using mine with a Gilmore Lite Mark2 that outputs up to 1.5 watts, provides a world-class listening experience.
If the Audeze house sound is desied (ala LCD3) then one of the LCD4 variants may be a better choice than MX4 which is more on the X drivers. At least from what I understand, have not personally auditioned MX4.

Sep 24, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #5,256 of 6,385
Audeze is currently working on replacing the drivers on my 2014 LCD3F and I've been keep myself occupied by boning up on what people are saying about these new drivers. I realize that I don't have them in-hand yet, but from what I'm reading about the treble spike at 10K, I'm a little more than worried that these are going to no longer be the headphones that they once were. In my older age I've discovered that I'm quiet sensitive to headphones that lean towards being bright. My tinnitus really gets triggered. The 2014 LCD3s didn't give me any problems in that area at all. In fact, I could really crank the volume on them and my tinnitus would hardly, if ever, get triggered.

How drastically are these new drivers in the "bright" department? Is it just a minor uptick or is it a significant one?

Sep 24, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #5,257 of 6,385
Audeze is currently working on replacing the drivers on my 2014 LCD3F and I've been keep myself occupied by boning up on what people are saying about these new drivers. I realize that I don't have them in-hand yet, but from what I'm reading about the treble spike at 10K, I'm a little more than worried that these are going to no longer be the headphones that they once were. In my older age I've discovered that I'm quiet sensitive to headphones that lean towards being bright. My tinnitus really gets triggered. The 2014 LCD3s didn't give me any problems in that area at all. In fact, I could really crank the volume on them and my tinnitus would hardly, if ever, get triggered.

How drastically are these new drivers in the "bright" department? Is it just a minor uptick or is it a significant one?
I don’t think you have anything to worry about. I haven’t heard the older drivers, but from what I’ve read most people reminisce about the dark, warm, heavy sound of the classic LCD-2s and 3s being replaced by more modern, balanced, neutral leaning tendencies.

Personally I think the new drivers - being the only ones I’ve heard - make the LCD-3 far more versatile without giving up much in the bass or earthiness departments. It can still stretch way down low and fill your head with holographic music, but now it does so with a touch more finesse, a touch less warmth but also more air and sparkle. And the midrange is simply melt-in-your-mouth honey. I’m very treble sensitive myself and the LCD-3 never ever strays past the brightness line. No sibilance here either.

It’s easily my favourite headphone and will take a serious contender to make me ‘upgrade’. Considering I have no interest in spending upward of $3000 on a headphone, I can’t see that happening anytime soon.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #5,258 of 6,385
thanks for your reply. that gave me an idea of the sound. how is the bass on audiogd on the lcd? does it make the bass more satisfying? the bass is good right now but very few songs has the bigger bass sound. even most rap is not bassy. i think i should get a z1r later.

There’s a sufficient amount of bass when needed but the LCD 3 has quite a balanced bass. If you want a bit more of an emphasis in bass then the LCD2 classic is the way to go.

If the classic LCD3s were accused of darkness, then the current fazors bring a more neutral treble. Not so much as to sound bright, definitely not HD800 levels but noticeably more high range sparkle.

One thing you do need to take note of is that for whatever reason, the drivers aren’t as burned in as Audeze claims they have done - not sure if they still claim that - and they sound overly bright and lean. My LCD3F when new, took about 50 hours of burn in at a moderate volume to sound like a well used dealer copy I had on hand. In other words, fantastic.

It is definitely a big change from the classic drivers which I still yearn for, having heard them several years ago, but I’m all for the balanced presentation and house sound that Audeze now prescribes.

Sep 24, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #5,259 of 6,385

I would not call it drastically, not after they been properly burned in. The biggest SQ change is in clarity and air and the change in tonal balance is smaller, but is still notable because both the low mids becomes a tad cleaner and less bloomy and the treble energy increase a bit. The treble spike is more of a concern before they have been burned in properly IMO. After some month of use the treble spike is only notable on some records and not really a problem IMO.

Sep 24, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #5,260 of 6,385
I once owned LCD3 pre-fazor. I really wish I had kept my 3c as I constantly crave the lush warmth of their presentation. Yes the 4z is technically superior but it would sure be nice to have my old 3c to go on audio journeys for hours into the night...

Sometimes we will do that which only brings regret. Trading off my 3c, and Nikkor 85/1.4 and 14-24/2.8 lenses were three shining examples of just not appreciating what I had. Oh well.

Sep 24, 2018 at 8:28 PM Post #5,262 of 6,385
I been wondering why doesn't audeze just make the original lcd 2 and 3 which everyone is craving for? Easier and cheaper since no fazor.probably sell more units and increase reputation. It's not hard to work out the defects before, since it had a thicker membrane so less likely to break compared to F.

I just bought an audio gd reference 10.32 with a 384 upgrade and also guy talked to me to buy a power cord for 250 bucks to go with it and later I want to get a new receptacle and USB cable. Apparently these improves highend gear more and it's worth it. Like once a lifetime purchase and last forever so it's worth it. All those cable are furutech brand. Guy gave me quite a lecture it's wonderful. Saved me a lot of time doing research on which cable is best. He said change wall receptacle first then power cable then usb cable then last is headphone cable. Finally gonna try balanced at least with lcd 3f see how it goes.
But yeah seriously audeze should just make in house the original driver. The lcd 2 classic made in China and I read it doesn't sound the same as the first lcd2 and 2.2 non fazor. Also I read the original 2 is best, compared to 2.2. So basically downgrade each revision for musical enjoyments. The 2 original seem better reputation than 3.

Also I read enough seem most people myself included. Enjoy warm sound and "musical" in the end.

I'll let you guys know how the 10.32 compare to deckard, which is very enjoyable already, I personally don't see how you can improve sound still.

Oh also I got bass out of my lcd3f using iTunes music which I signed up 4 months free promotion and somehow the bass on iTunes is very satisfying. Mostly on those remixes type of music like Inna.

Sep 25, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #5,264 of 6,385
I read somewhere the lcd 2 classic is made in China, comes with no case etc. Said audeze decided to take it overseas to make these. Maybe 2c and 2 classic is different?

Sep 25, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #5,265 of 6,385

Users who are viewing this thread

Back