Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Jan 6, 2017 at 1:23 AM Post #4,486 of 6,385
Jan 6, 2017 at 6:37 AM Post #4,488 of 6,385
Also, I tried out the air pressure valve idea that I posted the other day.

When i put on the new pads, I used some heat-shrink tubing to add two little channels for air to escape/enter to reduce the effect of the pressure change when putting the pads on / taking them off.

I used the smallest size of heat shrink that I had, about 2mm diameter. you CAN feel the air shooting out of them when you put the headphones on.

they're flexible, so they compress enough under clamp that the little valve is basically closed when the headphone is on the head, so i doubt this will have any effect on sound.

first pic is with the ear pads pulled back a bit, you can see the little channels right by the tops of the chrome connectors.
Second pic shows how they disappear.

Fullsize pics: http://imgur.com/a/cMVDi

Jan 6, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #4,489 of 6,385
  Also, I tried out the air pressure valve idea that I posted the other day.

When i put on the new pads, I used some heat-shrink tubing to add two little channels for air to escape/enter to reduce the effect of the pressure change when putting the pads on / taking them off.

I used the smallest size of heat shrink that I had, about 2mm diameter. you CAN feel the air shooting out of them when you put the headphones on.

they're flexible, so they compress enough under clamp that the little valve is basically closed when the headphone is on the head, so i doubt this will have any effect on sound.

first pic is with the ear pads pulled back a bit, you can see the little channels right by the tops of the chrome connectors.
Second pic shows how they disappear.

Fullsize pics: http://imgur.com/a/cMVDi

I'm convinced on the CF Headband. How about the pads? Lately I'm finding I have to switch off after an hour or so to the HD800S because my ears are getting hot.

Jan 6, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #4,491 of 6,385

I like it. looks cool and has a quantifiable benefit, even if its tiny.

these kinds of upgrades are common in cycling, where $200 for 30g weight savings a little silly. but 30g on your head? it's something. :)

I'm not really sure I can tell the difference of 1 extra ounce (30g) on my head, to be honest.

Jan 6, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #4,492 of 6,385
I've heard different opinions on the CF headband and the non leather ear pads so I ordered them to see for myself. If they don't make a difference they're going back. I don't care if aesthetically they are pleasing or not. I'm all about the comfort!
So I'll judge for myself :sunglasses:

Jan 6, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #4,493 of 6,385
It's a lot more about weight distribution of the cans then it is about 30g. The CF band design is really comfortable!

Jan 6, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #4,494 of 6,385
It's a lot more about weight distribution of the cans then it is about 30g. The CF band design is really comfortable!

For 200.00USD, they should be. :wink:

Jan 7, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #4,495 of 6,385
For 200.00USD, they should be.
wink.gif

And your point is what exactly?

Jan 7, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #4,496 of 6,385

And your point is what exactly?

I was merely trying to be sarcastic at the price I'm willing to pay for a little comfort. Relax, don't take it personally!

Jan 8, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #4,497 of 6,385

I was merely trying to be sarcastic at the price I'm willing to pay for a little comfort. Relax, don't take it personally!

In the audio world some things are pricey that don't make a very obvious difference. These may or may not be expensive but they are effective. To me if you can afford the headphones you should likely want to pop the extra for the better headband. They are that comfortable. Heck I don't know why I am even saying that, I have never worn any of my LCD's without the CF band, my first set of LCD-2's I bought used here included one.

I have 2 of them, one was essentially free and the other I bought new for $170. To me it seems worth it, perhaps not for others. 

Jan 8, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #4,498 of 6,385

In the audio world some things are pricey that don't make a very obvious difference. These may or may not be expensive but they are effective. To me if you can afford the headphones you should likely want to pop the extra for the better headband. They are that comfortable. Heck I don't know why I am even saying that, I have never worn any of my LCD's without the CF band, my first set of LCD-2's I bought used here included one.

I have 2 of them, one was essentially free and the other I bought new for $170. To me it seems worth it, perhaps not for others. 

While the weight reduction don't justify the price. The CF headband is very well made and distributes weight more evenly, thus more comfortable.

Jan 8, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #4,499 of 6,385

While the weight reduction don't justify the price. The CF headband is very well made and distributes weight more evenly, thus more comfortable.

There must be an echo in here 
biggrin.gif

Jan 8, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #4,500 of 6,385

So they have been redesigned so that the leather suspension strap doesn't touch the carbon fiber? I bought two headbands the second they were released, one for my XC's and one for the 3's. They both created hot spots on my head as the leather was touching the carbon. I had to shorten the leather straps a few mm on each side. After that mod they are very comfy, it's however quite embarrassing that you had to mod a $200 headband.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back