Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Sep 27, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #3,077 of 6,385
Just an educated guess based on usual number of hours it morphs into seemingly every time I listen. Plus used for webinars, training audio and video, and meditation as well so ya lots of hours accumulate. In fact thinking about it 300 hours may well be a low ball estimate. Anyway they continue to get noticeably better and better. I had the LCD3c and wanted a tad bit more neutrality all along the spectrum with more air and treble. Initially I was concerned as the Xdid not seem to have the magic mids of the 3c, but as time goes on the X are found to be just as magical as were my 3c cans. Heavy rock has the bass slam just incredible with transient response, attack, and decay just sublime. But importantly the rendering of all other genres is exemplary too. Listening to Norah Jones and the magic rolls on...    

Sep 27, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #3,078 of 6,385
  I'm
I'm curious, how do you keep track on how many hours you have on them? Do you use a software or anything to track this or it's simply an estimate?

Listening to Al Marconi, I agree, that's the type of music where the LCD shine. What made you choose the LCD-X over the LCD-3?

I keep mine on permanent 24/7 burn in using the Purist Audio Design system enhancer disc. I use a separate burn in system so both my LCD-X's and 3's are always having hours put on them. I put them on from new and then just log how many days x 24 hours. So one week is 164 hours. The drivers don't wear out as far as I know!

Sep 27, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #3,079 of 6,385

I keep mine on permanent 24/7 burn in using the Purist Audio Design system enhancer disc. I use a separate burn in system so both my LCD-X's and 3's are always having hours put on them. I put them on from new and then just log how many days x 24 hours. So one week is 164 hours. The drivers don't wear out as far as I know!

How could you be sure that usage on the driver actually improve the sound and not the other way around?

Sep 27, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #3,080 of 6,385

I'm
I'm curious, how do you keep track on how many hours you have on them? Do you use a software or anything to track this or it's simply an estimate?

I have often wondered the same thing.

Usually at least 8 hours but often more practically every single day since I got them in June of this year. But no I don't write the time down or anything like that. Any estimate of time accrued is always gonna be lower than it really is. I figure I must have had well over 3000 hours on the 3c when I traded them thru Justin for these X. BTW that means the Schiit stack has been pretty well burned in by now between the LCD 2.2, LCD3c,and now the X. Been really pleased with their performance. And longevity... 

Sep 27, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #3,081 of 6,385
I keep a play list of my reference tracks that I use to do critical listening, I then start from the 1st track and make detailed notes about the sound on each track. At the end of that process I listen to the piece of equipment that I am doing the comparison of and repeat the process, making notes etc etc. 

It was a method I was taught from my days at Wilson Audio, so I have reference book with all of my listening notes in it. Its quite interesting to go back over the years. Its an invaluable reference tool.

Good for Hi-Fi shows as well.

Sep 27, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #3,082 of 6,385
I keep a play list of my reference tracks that I use to do critical listening, I then start from the 1st track and make detailed notes about the sound on each track. At the end of that process I listen to the piece of equipment that I am doing the comparison of and repeat the process, making notes etc etc. 

It was a method I was taught from my days at Wilson Audio, so I have reference book with all of my listening notes in it. Its quite interesting to go back over the years. Its an invaluable reference tool.

That sounds too much like work!

Sep 27, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #3,083 of 6,385
  How could you be sure that usage on the driver actually improve the sound and not the other way around?

There is no doubt in my listening tests that the headphones under discussion improve with time. However I might be deaf or crazy or both. 

The only results that matter are your own

Sep 27, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #3,084 of 6,385

That is so neat. What a resource and memorabilia.

Sep 27, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #3,085 of 6,385
Usually at least 8 hours but often more practically every single day since I got them in June of this year. But no I don't write the time down or anything like that. Any estimate of time accrued is always gonna be lower than it really is. I figure I must have had well over 3000 hours on the 3c when I traded them thru Justin for these X. BTW that means the Schiit stack has been pretty well burned in by now between the LCD 2.2, LCD3c,and now the X. Been really pleased with their performance. And longevity... 

Amazing, do you wear them while you work?

Sep 27, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #3,086 of 6,385
Yes it seems I have them on constantly. If I lost the means to listen to high quality music I believe I would just go berserk. REALLY looking forward to being able to order Ragnarok. Then Yggy. Can only imagine the aural bliss that awaits...
o2smile.gif

Sep 27, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #3,087 of 6,385

That is so neat. What a resource and memorabilia.

It is cool, when I used to be part of the setup crew for CES we had numerous rooms to have to setup our speakers in, so we would take detailed notes before setup, including measurements, SP levels, equipment used etc etc and then go back at the end of the day and do a check listen and re-tune if necessary, usually something would have changed because of a number of factors, component burn in or change or equipment, or because people had moved the speakers..... 

Was interesting how much the sound would change over the course of a few days. Last night of the CES was always the best time to listen. Was the only way I could do customer setups because for sure they would invariably tinker and then want to know what the setup was when I had left them. We would draw out their listening rooms and take all measurements before and after setup.

It became a very important tool.

Oct 1, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #3,088 of 6,385
  Just got my pair of LCD-3, they were made in 09-11-2014, I hope I won't have issue.

Coming from Beyer, I'm still trying to adapt to their sound signature, clearly different.

Hmorneau, how would you compare and contrast the LCD-3F and the Beyer T1s? I'm looking at purchasing the T1's and was hoping they stack up close to the LCD-3s. Thanks in advance.

Oct 1, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #3,089 of 6,385
Just my two cents.  I've owned both the T1 and LCD-3F and I chose LCD-3F over the T1.  I found the T1 was a bit boring for my taste.  It did have a flat response but lacked bass.  I'm not a bass head but there was nothing special to me about the T1.  Don't get me wrong the T1 is a nice headphone but just not my taste.  I actually preferred my HD800 over the T1.  Now if HD800 and LCD-3F had a baby...OMG!  LOL 

Oct 2, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #3,090 of 6,385
  Just my two cents.  I've owned both the T1 and LCD-3F and I chose LCD-3F over the T1.  I found the T1 was a bit boring for my taste.  It did have a flat response but lacked bass.  I'm not a bass head but there was nothing special to me about the T1.  Don't get me wrong the T1 is a nice headphone but just not my taste.  I actually preferred my HD800 over the T1.  Now if HD800 and LCD-3F had a baby...OMG!  LOL 

It has 2 babies.. one called Stax SR-009 and the other Abyss!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back