Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Oct 9, 2019 at 9:29 PM Post #5,327 of 7,331
I haven't used the reveal plug in much. Yes it still has the off timbre with the Black Widow but it does sound better and adds a bit more body to the other areas. The Black Widow is a good paring although I wouldn't recommend buying it just for the 2C as it's rather expensive and rare and there's not much of a resolution bump at all coming from mid ranged gear. I originally bought it to pair with my HD800 and Utopia I had at the time as they really benefited because those two headphones scale really well.

I've used reveal from the 1st day with full wet setting and does not feel metallic at all. Pairing my 2C with airist RDAC and LCX, they are full and lush. Was wondering how BW 2 will pair with Airist RDAC with the 2C.

Oct 10, 2019 at 4:25 AM Post #5,328 of 7,331
Help a bud out please..................how do you remove the pads on these? I'm hesitant to destroy something but have a new pair of Vegan's I'd like to try.
Peel back with fingers at the edge first, and can use an edge like a credit card to slowly lever/work it off....you will invariably seperate some of the earpad backing off - but thats the nature of the beast with double-sided taped-on pleather.There may be a way to add more sub-bass to these closer to 2CB during the new pad install phase.

Oct 10, 2019 at 4:27 AM Post #5,329 of 7,331
I think the metallic reference is confined entirely to the slight edges in the treble peaks (?) and not to the overall tonalty...an accent if you will, on top of the darker mellower signature.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 4:46 AM Post #5,330 of 7,331
The "metallic" impression comes from the lack of refinement of the treble compared to a headphone like the HD 650. The Dekoni EV help to "correct" the treble course at least.

It's still a great headphone but it should come with Vegans on top.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 7:04 AM Post #5,331 of 7,331
The Vegan pads are the best earpad Audeze has made and I agree all LCD-2s should have them. My biggest issues with Audeze has always been the weird timber which has been an issue since 2014 when they started playing around with different driver material.

My all time favourite headphone is the old LCD-2 from 2010 to 2011. Funny enough it took Garuspik from Verum to invent a headphone that is closer to that kind of enjoyment and lush full bodied sound and manages to exceed every Audeze I've heard apart from the LCD-4. I still get that 2010 nostalgia though and would probably take that still over the Verum despite being technically superior than the old LCD-2.

What the Classic has going for it is superior speed compared to the old LCD-2 and while having a lot less body, focuses more on being a headphone that gets up and goes and has a lively brash character despite the upper mid recession. With the classic though I felt that massdrop took the route of bringing back that full bodied bass which the fazors lacked. The 2C though was tuned by massdrop so it's clear why it doesnt have the same lush character as the LCDs of old.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 7:09 AM Post #5,332 of 7,331
Not everybody agrees. I think they should come with lambskin. The last thing I want on a nice pair of headphones is plastic pads.

Oct 10, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #5,333 of 7,331
Any theory on why the Vegans were discontinued?

Oct 10, 2019 at 8:27 PM Post #5,334 of 7,331
I believe it was because of the whole M1060 thing. The pads made those headphones compete apparently and people ended up buying their pads in huge numbers. At first they made it so you had to have an Audeze serial number but that ended up falling through.

It's weird though surely revenue is revenue....

Oct 11, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #5,335 of 7,331
I believe it was because of the whole M1060 thing. The pads made those headphones compete apparently and people ended up buying their pads in huge numbers. At first they made it so you had to have an Audeze serial number but that ended up falling through.

It's weird though surely revenue is revenue....
This is exactly what happend. The issue being audeze was making peanuts on the pads.
People stopped buying the LCD-2 and were buying m1060. And that loss of lcd sales caused a big hit to the bottom line.

Oct 11, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #5,336 of 7,331
This is exactly what happend. The issue being audeze was making peanuts on the pads.
People stopped buying the LCD-2 and were buying m1060. And that loss of lcd sales caused a big hit to the bottom line.
M1060 was never really a competition to LCD2C. Poor man's planar with compromises perhaps, but never really threatened the almighty throne of LCD2/C.

Oct 11, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #5,338 of 7,331
lol yep anyone who has actually compared the two side by side knows there's no comparison at all. M1060 is a cheap knockoff.
But people still bought them along with the vegan pads (which were damn expensive, like $90 I believe) because they didn’t want to fork out the cash for the real thing. I had them for a while with the @cskippy paper towel mod and they were descent for the money. But they didn’t compare with the LCD’s. Just a lot of hype in its thread. It was a poor mans way (figuratively speaking) of trying to get as close to the real thing on the cheap.

Oct 11, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #5,339 of 7,331
But people still bought them along with the vegan pads (which were damn expensive, like $90 I believe) because they didn’t want to fork out the cash for the real thing. I had them for a while with the @cskippy paper towel mod and they were descent for the money. But they didn’t compare with the LCD’s. Just a lot of hype in its thread. It was a poor mans way (figuratively speaking) of trying to get as close to the real thing on the cheap.
This is exactly what I don't understand. Considering the used price of LCD2s right now, even the fazor model with the 2016+ driver rev, by the time your time and money investment fixes the broken-from-the-factory 1060 you may as well have just bought the Audeze it's trying to imitate anyway.

Oct 12, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #5,340 of 7,331
The 1060 is horrible I never understood the popularity the LCD-2 trashes it. Even better just buy a Verum 1 which is better than the 2F and C and M1060 anyone who licks the M1060 over the Verum is mad. The only monoprice product I like is their liquid spark amp which is great for the price and is a very musical, engaging amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back