Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
May 6, 2019 at 6:16 AM Post #5,071 of 7,334
It is interesting that you do not really feel to reach for the Verum. I am still quite interested in those headphones, but as usual, the impressions I read are mixed. Most agree that they sound good, however a lot of people find them a bit bright. Also, some build quality issues hold me back. This is expected at a young company's first product, but I might wait for a Verum 2 instead.

I agree that the 2C is special. Technically it comes pretty close to higher-end headphones for the fraction of those insane prices while it maintains a very lush and easy-to-the ear sound. A pretty well-found sweet spot by Audeze in my opinion.
A high-quality SS amp pushes them to the limit of their technical performance and yet they stay relaxing and exciting at the same time.

The two other headphones (apart from the Verum) that I am interested in at the moment are the Empyrean and the Ether2. Both significantly more expensive. I tried and loved the Empyrean, I haven't tried the E2 yet. The Meze flagship is out of my financial reach at the moment and while it is obviously better than the 2C it is definitely not £2100 better.

I really enjoy the improved clarity and spaciousness my Taurus MKII brought for my 2C. Great combination. I turned down many £1000+ headphones in favour of my 2C, the Aeolus was one of them. Aeolus is a nice sounding headphone but I find planar bass to be much superior and with my music I need the best possible bass which the 2C provides. The latest more expensive hp was the HE6SE I tried. 2C bass is better.

I think the 2C offers a relatively high level of technical performance while still staying musical and tuned for fun listening. Only the Empyrean was able to do both on a higher level to my ears. All the other more expensive headphones I tried may have better technicalities but a lot of them somewhere on the way loose fun and enjoyment. At current price the 2C is one of the best offers out there if you look at the price/performance ratio.
I think waiting for the Verum successor is a better option as you already have the 2C. They do sound a bit bright compared to the Classic. I agree the 2C's bass is special, you can't really get better bass texture and extension than the 2C just improvements in other areas. I thought the 2C was a more engaging listen than the Ether2. The Ether 2 had a thin, dry character. The resolution was close between them with the Ether sounding a bit cleaner, less lush and sultry. The problem is they didn't have the fun factor and urge to listen to them the 2C has.

May 6, 2019 at 7:45 AM Post #5,072 of 7,334
I also have been listening to the Witcher 3 soundtrack
Witcher 3 soundtrack is indeed beautiful. My top 3 are:
1. Cloak and Dagger
2. Ladies of the Woods
3. The Fields of Ard Skellig

To me, the Verum is a smoother sound. Sounds better for female vocals, whereby the 2C sounds kinda dry (no sense of sweetness) in comparison. Furthermore, the bass impact is sharper (chisel-like compared to the 2C's hammer like). I use both of them interchangeably. Also, for me, I gotta change the Verum pads. I'm using an angled sheepskin pads that works so nicely with it. Vocal has more depth than the 2C. I guess some will like it, some don't.

I agree with the reliability factor. I've heard some issues. Hopefully it will improve. So far, mine is all right.

May 6, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #5,073 of 7,334
It is interesting that you do not really feel to reach for the Verum. I am still quite interested in those headphones, but as usual, the impressions I read are mixed. Most agree that they sound good, however a lot of people find them a bit bright. Also, some build quality issues hold me back. This is expected at a young company's first product, but I might wait for a Verum 2 instead.

I agree that the 2C is special. Technically it comes pretty close to higher-end headphones for the fraction of those insane prices while it maintains a very lush and easy-to-the ear sound. A pretty well-found sweet spot by Audeze in my opinion.
A high-quality SS amp pushes them to the limit of their technical performance and yet they stay relaxing and exciting at the same time.

The two other headphones (apart from the Verum) that I am interested in at the moment are the Empyrean and the Ether2. Both significantly more expensive. I tried and loved the Empyrean, I haven't tried the E2 yet. The Meze flagship is out of my financial reach at the moment and while it is obviously better than the 2C it is definitely not £2100 better.

I really enjoy the improved clarity and spaciousness my Taurus MKII brought for my 2C. Great combination. I turned down many £1000+ headphones in favour of my 2C, the Aeolus was one of them. Aeolus is a nice sounding headphone but I find planar bass to be much superior and with my music I need the best possible bass which the 2C provides. The latest more expensive hp was the HE6SE I tried. 2C bass is better.

I think the 2C offers a relatively high level of technical performance while still staying musical and tuned for fun listening. Only the Empyrean was able to do both on a higher level to my ears. All the other more expensive headphones I tried may have better technicalities but a lot of them somewhere on the way loose fun and enjoyment. At current price the 2C is one of the best offers out there if you look at the price/performance ratio.
I'm not sure if you will like the Verum. But I think you will love the bass at least. Give it a try, Betula. It is at least worth trying.

May 6, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #5,074 of 7,334
1. Cloak and Dagger
2. Ladies of the Woods

To me, the Verum is a smoother sound. Sounds better for female vocals, whereby the 2C sounds kinda dry (no sense of sweetness) in comparison. Furthermore, the bass impact is sharper (chisel-like compared to the 2C's hammer like). I use both of them interchangeably. Also, for me, I gotta change the Verum pads. I'm using an angled sheepskin pads that works so nicely with it. Vocal has more depth than the 2C. I guess some will like it, some don't.

I agree with the reliability factor. I've heard some issues. Hopefully it will improve. So far, mine is all right.
All those are fantastic. Fields of Ard Skellige is so haunting. The 2C for me has that lush colouration which make's them perceptionally more lush and sweet but if you remove that, the Verum is prob the more rich sounding. I don't find verum to have that warm glow or engulfing sound it's a very to the point headphone. The Classic sounds more musical to me but Verums vocals are special.

May 6, 2019 at 8:01 AM Post #5,075 of 7,334
1. Cloak and Dagger
2. Ladies of the Woods

Witcher 3 is a computer game, right? Do you also play the game with the 2C or just like the soundtrack?
I have checked out those tracks and they sound quite nice for a computer game. :)

For me the best bass I have heard to date is the 2C (on par with Empyrean), even though I have heard more focused or more detailed bass on other headphones. The bass quantity on the 2C while higher than industry neutral standard, is perfect for me. However if I don't loose on quantity, I could use a little more focus and little more clarity.

I have just reviewed the HE6SE. You are right about vocals, they are a very good indicator of overall sound quality. I found the HE6SE bright in the treble and quite dry in presentation. Vocals on the 2C are much sweeter, fuller and more lifelike. Interesting to hear the Verum would improve upon this.

I have just seen some 'wire hanging out' pics on the Verum. That's worrying. I know Garuspik from the forums and I would like to support him but I don't want to buy something that I might have to send back to Ukraine to fix. I think I will just keep an eye on his work for now.

Last edited:
May 6, 2019 at 8:35 AM Post #5,076 of 7,334
Witcher 3 is a computer game, right? Do you also play the game with the 2C or just like the soundtrack?
I have checked out those tracks and they sound quite nice for a computer game. :)

For me the best bass I have heard to date is the 2C (on par with Empyrean), even though I have heard more focused or more detailed bass on other headphones. The bass quantity on the 2C while higher than industry neutral standard, is perfect for me. However if I don't loose on quantity, I could use a little more focus and little more clarity.

I have just reviewed the HE6SE. You are right about vocals, that's are a very good indicator of overall sound quality. I found the HE6SE bright in the treble and quite dry in presentation. Vocals on the 2C are much sweeter, fuller and more lifelike. Interesting to hear the Verum would improve upon this.

I have just seen some 'wire hanging out' pics on the Verum. That's worrying. I know Garuspik from the forums and I would like to support him but I don't want to buy something that I might have to send back to Ukraine to fix. I think I will just keep an eye on his work for now.
Yes, it is a game. Beautiful game with beautiful story and tracks. So touching and emotional.

Yeah, I know. It is quite annoying to have to send it back to Ukraine. Not to mention, it takes quite a while to wait for it. Well, I hope at least a friend can let you listen to his Verum one of these days. But I understand what you mean.

I just read your HE6SE's review. Love it! Would love to hear more of your reviews in the future. Especially with your new amp :)

By the way, I really do hope you get to listen to the HD600 with your new system. I know you love planars. But do give it a shot, if you can. Their bass is not like what I thought. The Senns never ceased to surprised me with their scalability.

Last edited:
May 6, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #5,077 of 7,334
All those are fantastic. Fields of Ard Skellige is so haunting. The 2C for me has that lush colouration which make's them perceptionally more lush and sweet but if you remove that, the Verum is prob the more rich sounding. I don't find verum to have that warm glow or engulfing sound it's a very to the point headphone. The Classic sounds more musical to me but Verums vocals are special.
Yeah, I think I get what you mean, Raptor (you mind if I call you that?).

Both have their characteristics. I wish I can choose between them. The Verum is very speaker-like in that the depth is really apparent. So unique imo. I really enjoy this presentation. The 2C is speaker-like in that it is a very large Audeze sound.

Last edited:
May 6, 2019 at 8:43 AM Post #5,078 of 7,334
Yes, it is a game. Beautiful game with beautiful story and tracks. So touching and emotional.

Yeah, I know. It is quite annoying to have to send it back to Ukraine. Not to mention, it takes quite a while to wait for it. Well, I hope at least a friend can let you listen to his Verum one of these days. But I understand what you mean.

I just read your HE6SE's review. Love it! Would love to hear more of your reviews in the future. Especially with your new amp :)

By the way, I really do hope to get to listen to the HD600 with your new system. I know you love planars. But do give it a shot, if you can. Their bass is not like what I thought. The Senns never ceased to surprised me with the scalability.
Thanks for your encouraging thoughts.

I used to own the HD600 years ago with much lesser gear. I am still curious how the HD600 or 650 would sound on my present setup, however I know they wouldn't satisfy my sub-bass needs.
For this reason they are not on the top of my priority list, but I know they are special and if I come across a good secondhand deal I might give them a try anyway. :wink:

May 6, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #5,079 of 7,334
I know they wouldn't satisfy my sub-bass
It is much better than I thought. But I think it is better for you to listen yourself, rather than me talking about it. The HD600/800 is the one that scaled the most with my new chain.

By the way, I miss the 2C's stock pads. Miss that lush feeling LOL. Man, it is so troublesome to switch pads.

May 6, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #5,080 of 7,334
It is much better than I thought. But I think it is better for you to listen yourself, rather than me talking about it. The HD600/800 is the one that scaled the most with my new chain.

By the way, I miss the 2C's stock pads. Miss that lush feeling LOL. Man, it is so troublesome to switch pads.
I know. I don't understand why bigger brands couldn't come up with a simple magnetic system like Verum did. It is so simple and cheap. Makes me think bigger brands are playing with us on purpose. (They can't be so incompetent, can they?) 2C stock pads are a rare pleasure. :)

I recently auditioned the HD800S on a TT2/MScaler combo. It was a surprisingly positive experience. While I still found the bass a bit lacking to my liking and occasionally the treble to be too sparkling, the overall timbre, tone and technicalities of the HD800S pleasantly surprised me.

I still think planar bass is superior but I also think HD800S is generally underestimated.

May 6, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #5,082 of 7,334
I know. I don't understand why bigger brands couldn't come up with a simple magnetic system like Verum did. It is so simple and cheap. Makes me think bigger brands are playing with us on purpose. (They can't be so incompetent, can they?) 2C stock pads are a rare pleasure. :)

I recently auditioned the HD800S on a TT2/MScaler combo. It was a surprisingly positive experience. While I still found the bass a bit lacking to my liking and occasionally the treble to be too sparkling, the overall timbre, tone and technicalities of the HD800S pleasantly surprised me.

I still think planar bass is superior but I also think HD800S is generally underestimated.
I have a feeling the TT2 unfortunately is not there yet when it comes to the HD800S. Not sure about the DAC section. The HD800 requires even more care than the HD600. Its bass will come out with the slam and details out of a good compatible system. So far, I haven't found any solid state that can maximize the HD800(s).

May 6, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #5,083 of 7,334
How does the Taurus MKII compares with the CMA-600i (as amp only) in regards to LCD2C?
I would say the Taurus MKII is an upgraded CMA600i (when run in balanced mode with external DAC).

It is the same tone, timbre and tonality, however the Taurus offers more clarity, energy and punch. It is the most obvious in sub-bass and treble extension. The Taurus just sounds more clear and spacious. More depth, clarity and energy. :wink:

May 6, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #5,085 of 7,334
I have a feeling the TT2 unfortunately is not there yet when it comes to the HD800S. Not sure about the DAC section. The HD800 requires even more care than the HD600. Its bass will come out with the slam and details out of a good compatible system. So far, I haven't found any solid state that can maximize the HD800(s).
You might be right. I have never heard the HD800S on tubes. Out of TT2/MScaler combo however they did sound surprisingly good for dynamic drivers. The only thing I missed was a tad more bass quantity and authority. Spaciousness and resolution however was out of this world. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back