Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Apr 13, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #4,998 of 7,334
I find the Verum 1 very interesting, but certain reviews make me wait for the Verum 2.

One thing is that I am not fond of the DIY look of the Verum 1. Look however is secondary to sound, so if the sound is right I wouldn't care.

The Verum 1 is very affordable due to skipping all middle-man costs, but there seem to be a 6 weeks waiting time for orders.
Have you guys waited 6 weeks for yours?

I get that they wanted to create a brighter LCD2, so in a way I am interested. On the other hand though, I quite like the darker sound of the 2C.

I also read, resolution/imaging is not the best due to the thicker diaphragm. At least it seems to be reliable on the other hand.

Summing up, I am very interested in the Verum 1 but I am not sure if I'd enjoy them more than the 2C. I keep the 2Cs as they are fun and relaxing at the same time.
I am interested in the Verum1, especially for the great price, but I am not sure if I need a brighter LCD2C.

Each to their own on looks I personally like the steam punk look of the Verum. It reminds me the OG LCD-2. The Classic to me looks similar on that they've always had a steam punk DIY look to them but look more refined as time as gone on.

As for the sound. It's difficult really I would ust say try it. Worse comes to the worse they'll resale for as much as you paid. They're not so much a bright LCD they're extremely neutral with an elegant lush presentation.

You liked the HEX V2 imagine that timbre and tonal balance with more micro detail, dynamics; that's the Verum. I enjoy the HEX but they're too soft, lacked leading edge and attack. I find Hifimans current phones up lacking when it comes to resolve, attack, dynamics but the tonality is lovely. The HE-500 and HE-6 though are two of the best planars to ever existed and they've never been able to get that magic back.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #4,999 of 7,334
Each to their own on looks I personally like the steam punk look of the Verum. It reminds me the OG LCD-2. The Classic to me looks similar on that they've always had a steam punk DIY look to them but look more refined as time as gone on.

As for the sound. It's difficult really I would ust say try it. Worse comes to the worse they'll resale for as much as you paid. They're not so much a bright LCD they're extremely neutral with an elegant lush presentation.

You liked the HEX V2 imagine that timbre and tonal balance with more micro detail, dynamics; that's the Verum. I enjoy the HEX but they're too soft, lacked leading edge and attack. I find Hifimans current phones up lacking when it comes to resolve, attack, dynamics but the tonality is lovely. The HE-500 and HE-6 though are two of the best planars to ever existed and they've never been able to get that magic back.
I think I will pick up a Verum on classified if it pops up, just to try.

I agree that the HEXV2 is too soft and somewhat diffuse. The spacious and natural sound, tonality is spot on though. 2C wins on bass, although the HEXV2 is not far away and it is just a completely different bass presentation overall. Resolve, attack and dynamics improve a lot with desktop gear on HEX. I found it pretty poor out of cheap portable source. This fact is often overlooked with the HEX as they are advertised as headphones that you can drive from your phone. Mistake IMO.

I am going to have a HE-6 around soon. :)

Apr 13, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #5,000 of 7,334
Okay, so today I did something unheard off. I got myself old style headband and fitted it on my 2C. To my surprise, I like it much better than the suspension style headband. Been using the 2C all day, I only notice pressure on the earpads, but not a lot else. Bonus looks better now, downside I want suede ear pads now. :D

One of the reasons I like the 2C is how modular the headphone is, so it doesn't take much time to do this.
IMG_20190413_121710.jpg

Adjusters are a bit loose though. Tiny melon, when those move comfort goes down.

Apr 13, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #5,003 of 7,334
Interesting discovery, thanks for sharing

Sure, sure. I was just trying to make them more comfortable, since I had some issues with the suspension thing wearing and starting to dig into my skull.

Older and heavier is better than newer and lighter. Interesting indeed.

The old headband is only fraction heavier, to begin with they both weigh nothing.

But hey all of our heads are different and comfort is subjective.

Apr 17, 2019 at 7:48 AM Post #5,005 of 7,334
Ahh, Ahh, I can't make up my mind. Some days I think the lcd2c is better, but then days like today I think the nighthawks are. I think it comes down to which ones I like more without eq, and that goes to the hawks without a second thought. Settled! Mind made up! I think......

I did that all the time between the 2C, Elear, and Nightowl but now I feel they're all as good as each other. Some days I listen to one more than others but I use all 3 every week.

Apr 17, 2019 at 8:04 AM Post #5,006 of 7,334
Ahh, Ahh, I can't make up my mind. Some days I think the lcd2c is better, but then days like today I think the nighthawks are. I think it comes down to which ones I like more without eq, and that goes to the hawks without a second thought. Settled! Mind made up! I think......

Well if you want to narrow it down to a winner, then it's simple. Which one you find more comfortable?

Apr 17, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #5,007 of 7,334
I've been using my 2C with the Vali 2 I got for a few weeks but switched back to the Magni3 the other day and they sound much better on the Magni3. I never liked planars with hybrid amps but I gave it a go and while they sounded decent they just sound better with solid state amps as expected.

Apr 17, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #5,008 of 7,334
Out of frustration with Microsoft (somehow my copy of Win10 fell out of activation), I wiped my PC and installed Ubuntu. Don't know what magic fairies run inside of that OS, but using gmusicbrowser>alsa>Topping D30 has opened up an entire new level of wow out of these LCD-2Cs. Clementine gets an honorable mention just because it supports Spotify and AIFF (which I really wish gmb would), but it sounds a little more rough around the edges in comparison. Forgive me for fanboying out a bit, but it turns out that Linux has managed to do something special with my audio chain that didn't cost me anything more than the setup time and a little bit of research.

Have a Monolith THX788 showing up today, so I'm pretty excited to see if things jump up an additional level of detail. I'll do my best to level-match the D30/Magni 3 and run a comparison, but that'll take a little bit longer.

Apr 17, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #5,009 of 7,334
Well if you want to narrow it down to a winner, then it's simple. Which one you find more comfortable?
Nighthawk wins on comfort hands down. 2C might as well be a torture vice by comparison. Hawks are by far the better headphone for forgetting about everything but the music. You never really forget the 2C’s presence.

Apr 17, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #5,010 of 7,334
Original pre-fazor LCD2 vs LCD2C - How do they really compare?

Is LCD2C basically original LCD2 without wooden frame and new headband? Or do they actually sound different? Which one would be better for warm sound and rich deep bass?

I did some searching on this matter and I received mixed answers. Some seem to think that there isn't any difference in sound while some seem to think that "LCD2C sounds very much like original". So to be accurate the sound according to some is similar but still not quite the same.

For those who have used both revisions which one do you prefer and why?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back